No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found out today that Jake Shimabukuru is speaking and performing at RootsTech next month.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      Found out today that Jake Shimabukuru is speaking and performing at RootsTech next month.
      Do you attend RootsTech a lot Katie?

Have you come across any other interesting tidbits about scientologists or scientology lately?

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        Found out today that Jake Shimabukuru is speaking and performing at RootsTech next month.
        I heard an ad for that on the radio yesterday. Wow, they butchered his name. It's a common name in Okinawa, not so common around here.

Comment

• Have you ever wondered if you were born with a particular skill or ability but for a sport or activity that didn't exist at the time you live? Like maybe I would have been the best in the world at that Mayan basketball game if I were alive at that time.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Have you ever wondered if you were born with a particular skill or ability but for a sport or activity that didn't exist at the time you live? Like maybe I would have been the best in the world at that Mayan basketball game if I were alive at that time.

You weren't.
            *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              You weren't.
              How can you be sure.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

How can you be sure.
                Isn't that the game where the losers had their heads shoved through that hole or something like that?

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                  Isn't that the game where the losers had their heads shoved through that hole or something like that?
                  Sometimes the losers were decapitated. Sometimes.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Sometimes the losers were decapitated. Sometimes.
                    The captain of the winning team was decapitated. It was a great honor.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      The captain of the winning team was decapitated. It was a great honor.
                      Not according to the "History for Kids" website I read earlier today. It was the captain of the losing team.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Not according to the "History for Kids" website I read earlier today. It was the captain of the losing team.
                        It is time to put away childish things.

The most interesting part, however, is the fact that if a particular game had a religious purpose, the winning team were decapitated and offered as a sacrifice and this was considered a great honor. And that’s not just speculation. Various illustrations included in Pre-columbian books such as the Codex Borgia and on carved stone friezes decorating the walls of ball courts at the sites of Chichen Itza and El Tajin, clearly portray the decapitation of one team’s captain by the other or by a priest.
                        https://www.ancient-origins.net/news...-mexico-007917
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          It is time to put away childish things.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news...-mexico-007917
                          Meh, I've got links too!

The game continued to be played throughout Mesoamerica when it was adopted by the Maya, who added their own special twist. Humans and the lords of the underworld battled it out by playing the game, according to the creation story the known as the Popol Vuh. In this way, the ball court was a portal to Xibalba — the Mayan underworld. The Maya used the game as a stand‐in for warfare, settling territory disputes and hereditary issues, and to foretell the future. Captives of wars were forced to play (undoubtedly rigged) games that resulted in their sacrifice when they lost.

The Aztecs continued this proud tradition of loser‐lose‐all, as many vases and sculptures depict the inevitable decapitation of the losing team. There are even some depictions of ball players playing with the heads of the losers in place of a ball.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Meh, I've got links too!
                            I'm really just relying on the story the guide at Chichen Itza told us. I told him I found it fairly implausible that people would strive to win knowing decapitation was the reward, meaning those matches (and only certain ones resulted in death) were probably pretty low quality. He took umbrage. If you want to go with the kids history, feel free.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I think decapitating the losers would make for a better game. Not sure I'd buy into the "great honor to have your head cut off" thing as very motivating.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                I think decapitating the losers would make for a better game. Not sure I'd buy into the "great honor to have your head cut off" thing as very motivating.
                                Maybe that's why the game died out.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X