Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Thoughts Thread

Sometimes you want to share something, a random thought, that's not really worthy of having its own thread. Use this one for that. I'll start.

We decided to make tacos for dinner. At about 4PM I put a pound of beef stew meat in the oven at 250F with some garlic and McCormick's "Montreal Seasoning" on it (along with an onion and a tomato). When it came time to cook the corn tortillas, I found that they were all broken, all the way down to the bottom, like someone had karate-chopped them. My wife fired up the FryDaddy and told me to make chips while she went to the store for limes and cilantro. I took out a stack of about 30 tortillas and with a large butcher knife, I cut down through the middle of them. The feeling I had as the knife sliced through that many tortillas was immensely satisfying. I made the chips smaller than normal because I wanted to do it again.

Not worthy of its own thread, but I'm sure that we all have little tidbits we want to post from time to time (besides doctorcoug), and DDD's Lakers thread needs some competition.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

From my blog yesterday:

My right shoe is squeaking today. I should just throw this pair away, because as far as I can tell, they're ruined! Once I got a rock or something stuck inside the sole of one of my black Spanish shoes and it would roll around in there with every step I took. Needless to say I'm not wearing those shoes much (or ever) anymore.

(I had wanted to post that here on CUF but decided it didn't deserve its own thread.)
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

I came home and one of my little girls wanted help with a connect-the-dots. So we sat down and went to work. A....B.....C.....D.....E.......and before you know it, the picture started to appear before our eyes.

By the time she finished (somewhere around T or U), this was the approximate image that had been created:

My daughter paused, looked at me all puzzled, and asked, "What is that, Daddy?"

I am old.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Among the things that make my urine smell are:
        Asparagus
        Coffee (I know this from my pre-mission WOW violating days. It smells just like coffee!)
        Airborne vitamins
        Orange chicken from Panda Express
        Fasting

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          Among the things that make my urine smell are:
          Asparagus
          Coffee (I know this from my pre-mission WOW violating days. It smells just like coffee!)
          Airborne vitamins
          Orange chicken from Panda Express
          Fasting
          That's weird, I eat plenty of Orange chicken, and have never sensed pungent urine. There must be something wrong with your kidney's.
          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
            That's weird, I eat plenty of Orange chicken, and have never sensed pungent urine. There must be something wrong with your kidney's.
            No! There's something wrong with YOUR kidneys!

Comment

I feel like I took a wrong turn at google and walked back into middle school.

(don't mind me. I'm just feeling pissy.)

Comment

Hello there, Ned. How do you do? Tell me, tell me what is new? How are things in your little bed? What is new? Please tell me, Ned. I do not like this bed at all. A lot of things have come to call. A cow, a dog, a cat, a mouse. Oh! What a bed! Oh! What a house!

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                  I feel like I took a wrong turn at google and walked back into middle school.

(don't mind me. I'm just feeling pissy.)
                  My favorite drink in middle school was mug root beer.
                  Last edited by All-American; 07-29-2009, 07:44 PM.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

I took the facebook maturity test, and I have the maturity of a 12-year-old. No wonder my kids like me more than they like their mother.
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                      My favorite drink in middle school was mug's root beer.
                      Kill that apostrophe-S, friend. It's Mug, not Mug's.
                      Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                        My favorite drink in middle school was mug's root beer.
                        I have never been a rootbeer guy at all. Too sweet. And yet, every day after football practice I used to get two cans of cream soda and down them on the way home. There are still few things I can think of more satisfying than drinking them in my exhausted dehydrated state. But jumping in the pool at the beach house after my run yesterday was awfully good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          Kill that apostrophe-S, friend. It's Mug, not Mug's.
                          I'm sorry, Tim. I hope someday we can be friends again.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Do any of you 80s children remember Apple Slice?

My daily lunch regimen in HS was 2 cheese quesadillas (50 cents each), a hostess Honeybun (50 cents), and an Apple Slice (50 cents). Smother quesadillas in hot sauce. $2 never tasted so delicious.

In retrospect, my cholesterol struggles are now clarifying themselves.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Do any of you 80s children remember Apple Slice?

My daily lunch regimen in HS was 2 cheese quesadillas (50 cents each), a hostess Honeybun (50 cents), and an Apple Slice (50 cents). Smother quesadillas in hot sauce. $2 never tasted so delicious.

In retrospect, my cholesterol struggles are now clarifying themselves.
                              No, but a honey bun after second period was a staple. They had always been in the machine a little too long and the icing was falling off and a little oily somehow. The bun itself was dry. Still, I ate one every day. either that or an apple pie. Finding a honey bun that had been placed there recently, say within the last week, was like Charlie finding the golden ticket. Wonderful.

Pizza and fries were my healthy school lunch staples. And the fries got eaten first. This is an important rule that still gets observed. Always, fries first.
                              Last edited by UtahDan; 07-29-2009, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X