No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was looking at the list of birds seen in Bimini, Bahamas (we're considering going there for a couple of days in March) and I saw this. I'm assuming he got Cornell's Ornithology Lab confused with the gas company.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• when the morning commute is your favorite part of the job and you kinda dread the end of said commute, you probably dislike your job.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        when the morning commute is your favorite part of the job and you kinda dread the end of said commute, you probably dislike your job.
        One of the wisest things I've heard in years came at a retirement party I attended. I love it so much that I might have shared it here before, so apologies if I'm repeating myself.

We were talking to someone retiring at 59, and the rest of us younger people saddled with debt were asking him how he could do it so young. He told us it's simple: take a tape measure and stretch it out to 85 inches. Those inches represent an average life, which if you're lucky enough you will reach or go over. Then point to your current age. That is what you have left to live. Now assess your life. Are you happy with what you're doing, given the time you have left?

If you are unhappy with your job and cannot change it, do your best to modify it. Life is hard enough when you have to pay for it with a job that you loathe.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          One of the wisest things I've heard in years came at a retirement party I attended. I love it so much that I might have shared it here before, so apologies if I'm repeating myself.

We were talking to someone retiring at 59, and the rest of us younger people saddled with debt were asking him how he could do it so young. He told us it's simple: take a tape measure and stretch it out to 85 inches. Those inches represent an average life, which if you're lucky enough you will reach or go over. Then point to your current age. That is what you have left to live. Now assess your life. Are you happy with what you're doing, given the time you have left?

If you are unhappy with your job and cannot change it, do your best to modify it. Life is hard enough when you have to pay for it with a job that you loathe.
          that is good advice, I appreciate the thoughtful response and your last sentence is 100% correct, but modifying and/or changing the job can be incredibly difficult and can take a lot of time to make happen. that's the process I'm in right now. this damn job provides well for my family so in a way I'm trapped because as bad as it is, the alternative (being unemployed or underemployed) is even worse.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

when the morning commute is your favorite part of the job and you kinda dread the end of said commute, you probably dislike your job.
            Maybe it would help if you moved 20 miles further away from work? Then the best part of your day would last longer.

I like my job, most of the time, but I also love my morning commute. I head out early, so not a lot of traffic. I am usually listening to a book and having a little breakfast. I'm not stressed to get there, because as much as I like my job, it's not like I am dying to get there. Sometimes in the morning I wish I had another 15 miles to drive.

Evening commute, not so much. Traffic is much worse, and I am in much more of a hurry to get to my destination. Plus, I am not eating.

Comment

that is good advice, I appreciate the thoughtful response and your last sentence is 100% correct, but modifying and/or changing the job can be incredibly difficult and can take a lot of time to make happen. that's the process I'm in right now. this damn job provides well for my family so in a way I'm trapped because as bad as it is, the alternative (being unemployed or underemployed) is even worse.
              I do not want to appear sager than I am. If I truly heeded my advice, I would be living in Waipio Valley as a commie hippie and surfing with my kids every day. After I learned how to surf, of course. But the trade-off of not doing something you truly desire is a family that is well taken care of, as you say.

The 'tape measure' advice has reverberated throughout many aspects of my life. I am not as stingy with my money as I used to be. I don't work as hard as I should when I take time out to attend kids' activities throughout the day. I've given up on some extracurricular involvement with medical societies that I truly enjoyed, because it was impinging too much on my free time.

I do get the threat of being under- or unemployed. My gentle advice is to continually reassess your position and trade-offs. If it comes to a point where you're not sure you're coming out positive, that's your cue to consider a 'drastic' change.

Lecture over.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                Maybe it would help if you moved 20 miles further away from work? Then the best part of your day would last longer.
                i will no longer stand for the constant abuse board treasure clark addison takes at the hands of you mooks. no more of this “he’s a bald man with a woman’s church calling” stuff. i can’t tolerate that anymore.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Clark Addison is the best.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

its tempting.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                      i will no longer stand for the constant abuse board treasure clark addison takes at the hands of you mooks. no more of this “he’s a bald man with a woman’s church calling” stuff. i can’t tolerate that anymore.
                      I got released from my woman's church calling.

Still bald, though.

Comment

I got released from my woman's church calling.

Still bald, though.
                        haters, back off!

Comment

• I don't think this warrants its own thread, but the Navy is having a very, very, very bad year

In addition to not being able to avoid colliding with other ships at sea, one of its newest ships, the USS Little Rock, is stuck in the ice in Montreal

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ps/1057914001/

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• A week ago, I sliced my thumb pretty good. It didn't quite need stitches, so I've been keeping it wrapped in that self-sticking medical tape. It's crazy how much we use our thumbs, and how this has handicapped me. And when I try to use it on my phone screen, it's as though I have no soul--like that episode of The Simpsons, when after selling his soul to Millhouse, Bart was unable to activate the automatic sliding door into the Kwik-e-Mart.

Comment

• Re-watching Breaking Bad, and I inexplicably want to buy both a Dodge Challenger and Dodge Charger. My dream as a kid was to own the General Lee, but there's no way I'd drive a car with the stars and bars on it. So I thought maybe it would be awesome to get a red Dodge Challenger, with the Stars and Stripes on top, with block lettering "General Grant" or even better "General Sherman" on the roof near the flag.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• hellcat. do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X