No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sifting through the contents of my grandpa's storage bin....I think the man had over 30 nail clippers. I picked his hair brush and smelled it, and it still smells like him. I almost burst into tears...it was like I had my face in his neck hugging him goodbye again on that last day I ever saw him; that day I knew it would be the last time I ever saw him again. My mom had a good cry. I had my two-oldest with me and they served to hug the tears out of my mom....but my tears aren't coming. I don't mind crying, but I still haven't cried about my grandma, and I didn't cry today about grandpa, and I'm not sure that's healthy.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I rolled my ankle today stepping off a curb, but I think I'm going to just tough it out.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Sifting through the contents of my grandpa's storage bin....I think the man had over 30 nail clippers. I picked his hair brush and smelled it, and it still smells like him. I almost burst into tears...it was like I had my face in his neck hugging him goodbye again on that last day I ever saw him; that day I knew it would be the last time I ever saw him again. My mom had a good cry. I had my two-oldest with me and they served to hug the tears out of my mom....but my tears aren't coming. I don't mind crying, but I still haven't cried about my grandma, and I didn't cry today about grandpa, and I'm not sure that's healthy.
        It took me a while -- two years -- before I really cried about my mom. There was the panic-based crying the day it happened, but I didn't cry it out for a couple of years.
        Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          I rolled my ankle today stepping off a curb, but I think I'm going to just tough it out.
          Ouch. Be strong for your kids.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Freshman year at BYU danimal and I dyed our hair raspberry red with Punky Color. Really, it just ended up being bright pink. Word spread fast and even though danimal's hair was covered by his hoodie, they would not let him into the Canon Center to eat dinner. "I already know your hair is pink," the lady said. I had no problems with my pink hair at the Morris Center or at the Testing Center. Apparently, pink is an acceptable color for females under the Honor Code.

Anyway, I bring this up because I am thinking about getting some Punky Color and dying my hair blue for the BYU-OU game. But then I think, I am too old to act like that. Or worse, that I am so old that I would just look like an old lady with blue hair, instead of a really dedicated Cougar fan.
            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
            -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
              A friend of mine, John Walsh, had a very similar injury. It cost him his career. I hope yours is not as serious.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                Freshman year at BYU danimal and I dyed our hair raspberry red with Punky Color. Really, it just ended up being bright pink. Word spread fast and even though danimal's hair was covered by his hoodie, they would not let him into the Canon Center to eat dinner. "I already know your hair is pink," the lady said. I had no problems with my pink hair at the Morris Center or at the Testing Center. Apparently, pink is an acceptable color for females under the Honor Code.

Anyway, I bring this up because I am thinking about getting some Punky Color and dying my hair blue for the BYU-OU game. But then I think, I am too old to act like that. Or worse, that I am so old that I would just look like an old lady with blue hair, instead of a really dedicated Cougar fan.
                blur-haired cougar has multiple meanings.

Comment

My wife is a very good saver. She's saving every last penny we've got right now. We've got several things we are saving money for right now, and she's totally committed to making it happen. I appreciate that because that means I don't have to really worry about our finances. But there's nothing left in our checking account at the end of the month.

As part of her saving program, she's begun assigning all of our money to different funds as soon as it arrives in our checking account. She often gets so excited/ambitious that she saves too much, IMO. I was paid on Friday. Saturday afternoon she told me that we only had $50 to last us the next two weeks. I hate that. I had to then tell her that I just spent $40 of that at Wal-mart. What's the point of saving if you have to start using a credit card to pay for stuff (thus negating the fabulous saving effort)?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    My wife is a very good saver. She's saving every last penny we've got right now. We've got several things we are saving money for right now, and she's totally committed to making it happen. I appreciate that because that means I don't have to really worry about our finances. But there's nothing left in our checking account at the end of the month.

As part of her saving program, she's begun assigning all of our money to different funds as soon as it arrives in our checking account. She often gets so excited/ambitious that she saves too much, IMO. I was paid on Friday. Saturday afternoon she told me that we only had $50 to last us the next two weeks. I hate that. I had to then tell her that I just spent $40 of that at Wal-mart. What's the point of saving if you have to start using a credit card to pay for stuff (thus negating the fabulous saving effort)?
                    I hope you're not saving to replace the entertainment center you've got. That thing is awesome.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post

Just curious: does your wife work outside the home?

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                        Just curious: does your wife work outside the home?
                        She does. In fact, she has TWO jobs, but one of them is sort of irregular in terms of how often she works and when she's paid.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          I hope you're not saving to replace the entertainment center you've got. That thing is awesome.
                          No, that's not the reason for the saving. But a fix for that beauty is in the works and should be ready for your approval in a week or two. The current one is starting to bow under the weight of my feather weight (seriously) tv.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I am unlucky, not unskilled.
                            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              A friend of mine, John Walsh, had a very similar injury. It cost him his career. I hope yours is not as serious.
                              Plus that tragedy with his son. Rough going for your pal.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                                I love looking at other people's vegetable gardens when I drive by their houses. I'm glad that they're having success.
                                Our garden would depress you.
                                What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                                -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Working...
                                X