No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper attribution: DDD invented it. Wuap must not be a student of his posts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      Proper attribution: DDD invented it. Wuap must not be a student of his posts.
      KATY LIED
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        It means "sorry just being honest." It's a phrase Seattle ute invented.
        I am glad there is a voice of reason here, and from one of our leaders. Thank you.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

Invented it? Yes, I am sure he did. It is such an unlikely sequence and combination of words that only a fecund and nimble mind such as his could have conjured that delightsome phrase. And all this time I thought he had merely popularized it among his resident acolytes! I think I really do learn something new here every day!
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
            Invented it? Yes, I am sure he did. It is such an unlikely sequence and combination of words that only a fecund and nimble mind such as his could have conjured that delightsome phrase. And all this time I thought he had merely popularized it among his resident acolytes! I think I really do learn something new here every day!
            CREEKSTER
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Do you use the word fecund a lot creek?

I had to google it.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

Hmmmm. I don't recall saying that it was the Fox's. DDD claims it, but we all know he just lifted it from Babs.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  Do you use the word fecund a lot creek?

I had to google it.
                  I tend to use it when I am being sour because it sounds vaguely lewd and insulting even though it isn't at all.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    I tend to use it when I am being sour because it sounds vaguely lewd and insulting even though it isn't at all.
                    You are clearly not niggardly with your vocabulary.
                    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      So sort of related question...does anyone know of any state schools that are good where it's fairly easy to get residency? I have mixed feelings about byu, but I hate that our state school is Utah.
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      (Ted and PBW: Relax, I got this one.)

TEXAS
                      It's probably harder to get admitted to Univ. of Texas or Texas A&M than to get Texas residency. And there's a big gap (IMO) between UT and A&M and other public Texas universities. When my last kid applied to A&M, the academic admission bar was top quarter of HS class and 1300 SAT (Math, Verbal). UT is more difficult and a Texas HS student basically had to be in the top 8% of graduating class to have much hope.

The thing missing in Texas higher education is a quality university with higher admission rates where good HS students can go if they don't get accepted to UT or A&M - something like the University of Utah. There's Texas Tech but that's in Lubbock and although Tech is improving, there's still a gap. A lot of Texas HS graduates are opting for Oklahoma, Arkansas, and LSU.

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                      Utah State is not that bad.
                      Agree about Utah St. That's a fallback school for my kids if they don't get accepted to Texas, Texas A&M, or BYU (or don't want to go there). Utah St. has a legacy program where non-residents can get in-state tuition rates and my Dad has one of his degrees from Utah St. The only thing similar for non-Texas students is the A&M Aggie Cadet Corps. A&M has a program where non-residents can get in-state tuition by joining their Cadet Corps - and if the option is between BYU and the Aggie Cadet Corps, I gotta think BYU would be looking all the more awesome.
                      Last edited by Paperback Writer; 09-01-2014, 03:29 PM.
                      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• As I was listening to an awesome oldies mix tape this morning, the song "Green Green Grass of Home" came on. Sung by that welshman who originated the throwing of panties onto the stage. Whatever. Anyways, I never realized that the song lyrics were about a guy in prison who was sentenced to die the next morning. I'd always wondered why he was singing about God and a padre.

Comment

As I was listening to an awesome oldies mix tape this morning, the song "Green Green Grass of Home" came on. Sung by that welshman who originated the throwing of panties onto the stage. Whatever. Anyways, I never realized that the song lyrics were about a guy in prison who was sentenced to die the next morning. I'd always wondered why he was singing about God and a padre.
                          My MP's wife was an excellent singer and former MoTab member. She sang that song at a mission conference, a truly bizarre selection given the setting. Hearing a tune about coming home to a girlfriend with "lips like cherries", and then with the final verse, snapping out of it to realize you're about to be executed... just what every new missionary wants to hear.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            lol SeattleUte eating at the Louvre.

I bet he also had dinner at that sandwich place underneath the Eiffel Tower.
                            The Louvre has a couple of nice places to eat. If you're going to drill down there, spend some serioius time there, you have to eat, especially with children. Also, the difference between places like Paris or New York and, say, Salt Lake or even Seattle, is that down market eating places have phenomenal food. There's just a completely different ethic top down.

And I bet you don't understand this. Cheeseburgers have become a hugely popular delicacy in France. They're everywhere, at every level of the eating establishment strutum. And these aren't Euroburgers with brie and tapenade. These are invariably iconic American cheeseburgers -- but perfectly sculpted like a modern art object, with big bloody meat. I even saw on the one Michelin (one star) restaurant we visited, ordered by my daughter. 32 Euros. Generally cheeseburgers in France range in price from 19 to 32 euros. Like I say, a wildly popular dish at every level.

The food prices in France are crazy by the way. My theory is it's just because people will pay these prices for food in France (which does have the best food outside China). Raw food costs and the cost of preparing food can't be so much higher France than in the Netherlands, London, Italy, Barcelona, etc.
                            Last edited by SeattleUte; 09-05-2014, 10:47 AM.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• The kids game Don't Break the Ice should really be called Do Break the Ice.

After all, it's the entire point of the game.
                              http://www.hasbro.com/en_US/shop/det...F894F9D4:en_US
                              "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                                My theory is it's just because people will pay these prices for food in France
                                It's only 'cause the French make the best food in the world. So you pay premium for a ham-n-cheese sandwich, but the bread is from the tastiest, crustiest loaf less than 3 minutes old, the butter is the richest and creamiest, the cheese is the stinkiest and ripest, and the ham is cured and then sliced paper thin.

When Lenin was on the run living in the french underground, he opined that the only thing better than parallel French ingredients was russian butter, due to the cows feeding on clover in the fatherland.

Comment

Working...
                                X