Page 66 of 76 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 2258

Thread: "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - The Rivalry Thread

Quote Originally Posted by lambdacoug View Post
    Ruling sheriff?

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    Ruling sheriff?
    Denied!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Denied!
    Dammit
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I think it is kinda funny. The Ute sacrament is shots of tequila. Makes sense to me.
    I think that looks like Fireball.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    I think that looks like Fireball.
    So it must be mpfunk's sacrament.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    So it must be mpfunk's sacrament.
    Uh, No. The picture was taken at the game. mpf requires the priests to deliver his eucharist

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Uh, No. The picture was taken at the game. mpf requires the priests to deliver his eucharist
    Right. These guys are the priests preparing to visit the hermit brother funk.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I think it is kinda funny. The Ute sacrament is shots of tequila. Makes sense to me.
    The tequila of Joseph Smith and Jesus' time was different than the tequila today.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

I'm offended, but not shocked. This isn't out of character and is part of the broader issue at the UofU in terms of taking light things that are sacred to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I'm offended, but not shocked. This isn't out of character and is part of the broader issue at the UofU in terms of taking light things that are sacred to others.

I'm not offended. I'm more (self-righteously) amused. Much like Trump's lockerroom talk, or a monkey throwing it's own sh** at someone watching it at the zoo, a Ute is going to do, what a Ute is going to do. What I miss is the ALUF's defense/rationalization that this is unique or unusual behavior, when all evidence points to the contrary.

Speaking of ALUF's: One of my favorites, just made me chuckle out loud. Well done, Dwight.

I'm not offended or shocked. People do that stuff all the time. Virgin Mary bongs, sexy nun Halloween costumes, etc. They're trying to be funny and it's harmless. I'll take the irreverent Mo-hating Ute fan over an ALUF any day. They at least have a consistent ethos. Much more respectable than someone who turns their back on the university owned, operated and maintained by their religion. That said, they both suck and deserve hell.

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post

I am not shocked that you are offended.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post

I'd actually be pretty offended if he wasn't.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Look, by any measure it is offensive. In fact, the whole point is to BE offensive. That IS the punch line. It may not be worth responding to. It may even be wryly amusing to some, but if you think it is not offensive then you really don't get it.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Look, by any measure it is offensive. In fact, the whole point is to BE offensive. That IS the punch line. It may not be worth responding to. It may even be wryly amusing to some, but if you think it is not offensive then you really don't get it.
    I agree the whole intent is to be shocking and offensive. I was simply not surprised that Moliere was one who took offense. YOhio's response is the most sensible one, imo.

"The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I'm not offended or shocked. People do that stuff all the time. Virgin Mary bongs, sexy nun Halloween costumes, etc. They're trying to be funny and it's harmless. I'll take the irreverent Mo-hating Ute fan over an ALUF any day. They at least have a consistent ethos. Much more respectable than someone who turns their back on the university owned, operated and maintained by their religion. That said, they both suck and deserve hell.
    This raises an interesting question. Which is more loathsome: prog-mos or ALUFs?

Discuss.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

This raises an interesting question. Which is more loathsome: prog-mos or ALUFs?

Discuss.
    Sounds like a great podcast topic

-Rick Majerus

Discuss.
    Progmos are the Himalayan Pink Salt of the earth.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

Sounds like a great podcast topic
    Yes!

Discuss.
    ALUF is way worse, but especially a TBM ALUF. A TBM ALUF is someone who pounds doors, raises money and spends months campaigning for Prop8 then later mocks BYU because people hate the school because of LDS support of Prop8. That's as lauthsome as it gets.

ProgMo's aren't loathsome. They're sometimes annoying and pretentious, but they come from a good place. They're just not as cool as a JackMormon and a tad cooler than a TBM.

I was thinking of you when I typed that.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

ALUF is way worse, but especially a TBM ALUF. A TBM ALUF is someone who pounds doors, raises money and spends months campaigning for Prop8 then later mocks BYU because people hate the school because of LDS support of Prop8. That's as lauthsome as it gets.
    Yep, that is despicable.

ProgMo's aren't loathsome. They're sometimes annoying and pretentious, but they come from a good place. They're just not as cool as a JackMormon and a tad cooler than a TBM.
    it just doesn't make any sense to me. like, you sustain people you believe to be divinely inspired, whose judgment and guidance you trust enough to pledge lots of time and 10% of your increase, but when those people see fit to devote resources that could otherwise be devoted to other things like missionary work or feeding the poor, to byu because they believe it's a valuable way to move the work forward, they're not credible in that respect? sorry la ute, you don't get to have it both ways.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Nice.

Say what you want about the tenets of irreverent Mo-hating Ute fans, at least they have an ethos.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Discuss.
    I don't get it.
    Isn't 80% of this board prog-mo?

Maybe I don't know what the term means.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I don't get it.
    Isn't 80% of this board prog-mo?

Maybe I don't know what the term means.
    Approaching 100% rapidly. Hell, even Moliere has bought into "the scriptures are true, but not accurate" trope.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Approaching 100% rapidly. Hell, even Moliere has bought into "the scriptures are true, but not accurate" trope.
    I will never be a prog-mo. In a way I hope they are successful though because any guilt I feel over not attending all my meetings, not holding a TR, etc. will go away.

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    I will never be a prog-mo. In a way I hope they are successful though because any guilt I feel over not attending all my meetings, not holding a TR, etc. will go away.
    No one ever suspected you of prog-mo sympathies.

Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    Uh, careful. That's how they get you. First you root for them to win, then exalt in their success at the expense of your own team, then you are attending games in their stadium because "they have a better atmosphere", then you don't renew your season tickets because of the crappy home schedule, then you have "issues" with the honor code, and BAM; before you know it, you are a prog-mo.

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    No one ever suspected you of prog-mo sympathies.
    Ah c'mon. I am quite an empathetic guy with a lot of liberal views.