Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - The Rivalry Thread

Hybrid View

Default "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - The Rivalry Thread

One of the best things about BYU being the biggest story in college football so far this season is watching the reaction from Ute fans. Twitter and social media are comedy gold right now. In hindsight, it makes Chris Hill's comment a few weeks ago about Ute fans not caring about BYU especially funny. They care. A LOT.

Use this thread to share fun anecdotes of the allegedly dead rivalry.

BTW, UCLA obviously understands how deeply BYU is in Utah's head right now.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

There's this thread at UB5 with a couple thousand posts where Utes remind themselves of how over BYU they are. As a bonus you get to see LAU hyperventilating about mean and dirty BYU.

http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.ph...-Thread/page74

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    There's this thread at UB5 with a couple thousand posts where Utes remind themselves of how over BYU they are. As a bonus you get to see LAU hyperventilating about mean and dirty BYU.

Mean and dirty doesn't mean you can't be loved. Look at the Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post

Oh, stop being so sensitive about it. Everybody plays dirty. Your guys just get caught on video doing it more than others. I write it off to BYU's gift for theatrics.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Oh, stop being so sensitive about it. Everybody plays dirty. Your guys just get caught on video doing it more than others. I write it off to BYU's gift for theatrics.
    You mean Ute fans scrounge through hours of BYU tapes and create websites with showing 7 examples over a 15 year period.

Oh and you can eat a dick, I was always indifferent but you really are a two faced piece of shit.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    You mean Ute fans scrounge through hours of BYU tapes and create websites with showing 7 examples over a 15 year period.

Oh and you can eat a dick, I was always indifferent but you really are a two faced piece of shit.
    Only one-faced.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

You are being dishonest again. You've never been indifferent.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

This winner was at the game tonight when his team was playing an hour and a half away.

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    This winner was at the game tonight when his team was playing an hour and a half away.

image.jpg
    i had words with a fine hispanic gentleman wearing a utah jersey smoking a cigarette on the way out. he drove from lehi to wear his utah jersey (mountain sleeves, btw) at the byu game.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

This guy?

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    This guy?

image.jpg
    That's lau.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    i had words with a fine hispanic gentleman wearing a utah jersey smoking a cigarette on the way out. he drove from lehi to wear his utah jersey (mountain sleeves, btw) at the byu game.
    Racist post!!!!

From Sancho:

I agree. I vote for a merge. For those who are embarrassed that we talk about our rival sometimes, we can delete/erase/reset that thread every year or every month to make it look shorter. Personally, I don't care how long it is. It seems to really give tooblue a great deal of joy, and he probably could use all the joy he can get up there.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Devildog:

That other thread is a disgrace. It's long and boring and anyone reading here sees that it is by far the most viewed on the site. Weak and lame for a Utah sports forum.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

LAUte with stadium smack.

BTW, I failed to mention that our stadium is prettier. Beautiful sandstone beats battleship gray.*

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

that thread is great. lots of dumb people posting dumb things.

haha. i remember when LA Ute kept calling the Big Mac "Bleacher Palace" but it never caught on. He tried, at least.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Yesterday a couple of Utah season ticket holders were outside my door talking about how great the U's games have been, yet how frustrating it is that BYU has had these amazing endings to get all of the national publicity.

Poor Gunther was having a fit insisting that the U's two wins are more impressive than BYU's - talking about beating a Big 10 team and a MWC team.

Someone needs to remind him that the Big10 team BYU beat was on the road. And the MWC team BYU beat was ranked. Utah will have a good strength of schedule before it is all said and done, but thus far BYU's has got to be better.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Yesterday a couple of Utah season ticket holders were outside my door talking about how great the U's games have been, yet how frustrating it is that BYU has had these amazing endings to get all of the national publicity.

Poor Gunther was having a fit insisting that the U's two wins are more impressive than BYU's - talking about beating a Big 10 team and a MWC team.

Someone needs to remind him that the Big10 team BYU beat was on the road and had not lost a home opener in 30 years. And the MWC team BYU beat was ranked. Utah will have a good strength of schedule before it is all said and done, but thus far BYU's has got to be better.
    Just thought I would help out a little.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Just thought I would help out a little.
    It was fun to mention to an NU alum I work with that the last time NU lost an opener, he wasn't even born yet.
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    haha. i remember when LA Ute kept calling the Big Mac "Bleacher Palace" but it never caught on. He tried, at least.
    YO gave me props for that one.
    ― W.H. Auden

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    From Sancho:

I agree. I vote for a merge. For those who are embarrassed that we talk about our rival sometimes, we can delete/erase/reset that thread every year or every month to make it look shorter. Personally, I don't care how long it is. It seems to really give tooblue a great deal of joy, and he probably could use all the joy he can get up there.
    Devildog:

That other thread is a disgrace. It's long and boring and anyone reading here sees that it is by far the most viewed on the site. Weak and lame for a Utah sports forum.
    LAUte with stadium smack.

BTW, I failed to mention that our stadium is prettier. Beautiful sandstone beats battleship gray.*
    You know what else you will find in that thread? wally consistently reminding Utes that the rivalry is alive and well. My prediction when it was announced that the rivalry would cease, was that the game when it resumed would be ferocious (I think that hostile predicted the same). I stand by this prediction. There will be so much pent up hostility involved, that it will seem like Armageddon. It will be awesome. I expect some injuries, on the field and off.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    You know what else you will find in that thread? wally consistently reminding Utes that the rivalry is alive and well. My prediction when it was announced that the rivalry would cease, was that the game when it resumed would be ferocious (I think that hostile predicted the same). I stand by this prediction. There will be so much pent up hostility involved, that it will seem like Armageddon. It will be awesome. I expect some injuries, on the field and off.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Looks like hostile stands by the prediction too, which lends it wwaaaayyy more credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    YES! A thread to talk about the greatest rivalry in all of intermountain-based team sports! I've been waiting for this day to come for almost two years now. Thanks Jeff Lebowski! And as a gesture of friendship and outreach to the Cougar community, I invite all those brave souls who dare tread on the holy-of-holies (yea, verily, Rice Eccles Stadium) to join me at halftime for a friendly handshake. Godspeed!

Fun Fact: Did you know that when the game is played next year, seven years, nine months, and thirteen days will have elapsed since BYU beat Utah? That's a lot of pent up angst.

This is what I love about the rivalry. One team starts to out perform the other, and receive national attention (usually BYU) and the opposing teams fan base can't resort to scoreboard smack (Because they have an AD and HC who are scared) so they start grasping at straws and pulling the moral superiority card. BYU is "dirty" did you see that hit by 190 pound Jordan Preator who was about to take on a 260 pound tight end one on one so he went low. What a dirty player. Obviously they don't teach leverage at the U, hence the reason Sack Lake City, currently has a population of 1 through 2 games. Or they bring out the "Thug" and team discipline card.

"Nacua only got 1 game what a joke, Memphis suspended 12 guys!" Not realizing Memphis announced 12 suspensions but 8 of those players had exhausted their eligibility. It was purely lip service. 4 guys were actually suspended and only 1 player was suspended for a full game. BYU actually suspended 3 players for the Nebraska game. But lets not let facts get in the way of how soft Bronco is. Oh and lets ignore the fact that BYU lost its star running back for the season over something millions of college kids do every day.

Of course when that doesn't work they start to pinpoint specific plays, like Kaufusi and the mythical "gator roll". All of this comes from guys like LADouche and MPFunk, who have never put on pads in their lives. But when people point out that NFL teams teach these same techniques they choose to ignore it and like JL says "Double down" on this flawed logic. Making them look even worse.

This is a nasty cycle that will only continue for the next 3 years as Tanner Mangum leads BYU to glory. BYU has a plethora of QBs in the stable, the recruiting pipeline is full and Utah continues is rolling out a slot receiver to take snaps under center. Once he fails (and he will, we saw Thompson last year) they will throw a kid out there who should be playing linebacker, who again will fail (because Utah can't recruit or develop QBs) until the next over hyped kid comes along only to transfer after 1 season. In the meantime BYU will keep signing 4 star kids (2 in this upcoming class alone) who will continue to break records, give sportscenter interviews, bring exposure to the team and the church, go on the Jim Rome show, and lead highlight packages every night.

Of course, we will still have to listen to whiny, bitch-ass Ute fans make asinine comments like "I would rather lose than cheer for a dirty team like BYU" or "They have no conference to hold them accountable for suspensions, its bullshit". I thought independence was a horrible thing, now its an advantage?

Ute fans can all eat shit, nobody cares what you think or have to say. Unfortunately the loudest voices in your fan base are the biggest ass clowns. You are lead by an athletic director who played all of you for a fool and straight up lied. Your HC has ran off 7 OCs in 7 years. His two best assistant coaches left because they hate him (Sitake and BJ). Roderick only stayed because he has so much family baggage with his wife humping a female soccer player he has nowhere else to go. It is an absolute cluster fuck and you guys know it.

The good news is with Colorado around you will always have someone worse than you. At least you can look forward to that. Now go Eff yourselves.
    *Banned*

The alligator roll. Just looked it up on urban dictionary. Interesting.

This is what I love about the rivalry. One team starts to out perform the other, and receive national attention (usually BYU) and the opposing teams fan base can't resort to scoreboard smack (Because they have an AD and HC who are scared) so they start grasping at straws and pulling the moral superiority card. BYU is "dirty" did you see that hit by 190 pound Jordan Preator who was about to take on a 260 pound tight end one on one so he went low. What a dirty player. Obviously they don't teach leverage at the U, hence the reason Sack Lake City, currently has a population of 1 through 2 games. Or they bring out the "Thug" and team discipline card.

"Nacua only got 1 game what a joke, Memphis suspended 12 guys!" Not realizing Memphis announced 12 suspensions but 8 of those players had exhausted their eligibility. It was purely lip service. 4 guys were actually suspended and only 1 player was suspended for a full game. BYU actually suspended 3 players for the Nebraska game. But lets not let facts get in the way of how soft Bronco is. Oh and lets ignore the fact that BYU lost its star running back for the season over something millions of college kids do every day.

Of course when that doesn't work they start to pinpoint specific plays, like Kaufusi and the mythical "gator roll". All of this comes from guys like LADouche and MPFunk, who have never put on pads in their lives. But when people point out that NFL teams teach these same techniques they choose to ignore it and like JL says "Double down" on this flawed logic. Making them look even worse.

This is a nasty cycle that will only continue for the next 3 years as Tanner Mangum leads BYU to glory. BYU has a plethora of QBs in the stable, the recruiting pipeline is full and Utah continues is rolling out a slot receiver to take snaps under center. Once he fails (and he will, we saw Thompson last year) they will throw a kid out there who should be playing linebacker, who again will fail (because Utah can't recruit or develop QBs) until the next over hyped kid comes along only to transfer after 1 season. In the meantime BYU will keep signing 4 star kids (2 in this upcoming class alone) who will continue to break records, give sportscenter interviews, bring exposure to the team and the church, go on the Jim Rome show, and lead highlight packages every night.

Of course, we will still have to listen to whiny, bitch-ass Ute fans make asinine comments like "I would rather lose than cheer for a dirty team like BYU" or "They have no conference to hold them accountable for suspensions, its bullshit". I thought independence was a horrible thing, now its an advantage?

Ute fans can all eat shit, nobody cares what you think or have to say. Unfortunately the loudest voices in your fan base are the biggest ass clowns. You are lead by an athletic director who played all of you for a fool and straight up lied. Your HC has ran off 7 OCs in 7 years. His two best assistant coaches left because they hate him (Sitake and BJ). Roderick only stayed because he has so much family baggage with his wife humping a female soccer player he has nowhere else to go. It is an absolute cluster fuck and you guys know it.

The good news is with Colorado around you will always have someone worse than you. At least you can look forward to that. Now go Eff yourselves.
    In the one thing that matters as it relates to the rivalry, Utah has owned BYU. How about we win a few of those and then we can talk about how much better our current program is over theirs.

Not so fast. I would like to know more about Aaron Roderick's alleged lesbian wife.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Not so fast. I would like to know more about Aaron Roderick's alleged lesbian wife.
    no you wouldn't