Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BYU women soccer plays at Stanford now

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Do they sign recruits for next season in November? The team seems to be Utah top heavy. Is Utah is Region 3 or 4 for USA Soccer?
    I don't know. They do have a lot of players from Utah, but the ones they have are really good, especially the curent freshmen and sophomores. Maybe Utah as a state does pretty well in girls soccer. Utah and USU usually also end up having solid teams with BYU often being a top 25 team.
    Last edited by BlueK; 09-08-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I don't know. They do have a lot of players from Utah, but the ones they have are really good, especially the curent freshmen and sophomores. Maybe Utah as a state does pretty well in girls soccer. Utah and USU usually also end up having solid teams with BYU often being a top 25 team.
    I doubt Utah is disproportionately better than other regions. The traditionally strongest regions are California, Texas, Florida and Virginia.

The USWNT U20 doesn't show any from Utah.
    http://www.ussoccer.com/us-under20-w.../latest-roster

Here are the national youth champions.

http://championships.usyouthsoccer.o...in_tulsa_okla/
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

I doubt Utah is disproportionately better than other regions. The traditionally strongest regions are California, Texas, Florida and Virginia.

The USWNT U20 doesn't show any from Utah.
    http://www.ussoccer.com/us-under20-w.../latest-roster

Here are the national youth champions.

http://championships.usyouthsoccer.o...in_tulsa_okla/
    Yeah, I wouldn't know about where the talent is across the US and how many LDS players end up at other schools. But it's hard to argue against the results on the field BYU is currently getting with who they have:

http://herosports.com/college-rankin...ccer-rankings/

Pre-Historic Man

Yeah, I wouldn't know about where the talent is across the US and how many LDS players end up at other schools. But it's hard to argue against the results on the field BYU is currently getting with who they have:

http://herosports.com/college-rankin...ccer-rankings/
    They are doing well. For them to crack into a Final Four position, they need to keep on keeping on. They had UNC in their own backyard but the offense let them down.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

They moved up to #5 now on the coaches poll even after the loss at Stanford.

They moved up to #5 now on the coaches poll even after the loss at Stanford.
    what formation do they play? did we ever get that hammered out?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I thought you didn't notice formations.

I thought you didn't notice formations.
    why would you think that? formations are basically the main reason I attend any sporting event. I've always been a formation guy.

why would you think that? formations are basically the main reason I attend any sporting event. I've always been a formation guy.
    Kind of like Gary Crowton? Being "innovative" with plays and formations always seemed more important to him than the boring details of whether his players could actually execute the play.

Kind of like Gary Crowton? Being "innovative" with plays and formations always seemed more important to him than the boring details of whether his players could actually execute the play.
    I can't speak for Gary Crowton.

I can guarantee you it isn't the 3-5-3. But alas I attended a veritable SoCal soccer high school powerhouse and learned that there are 11 players on the field, one of whom is the goalkeeper who is not included in the formation description. So the sum of all possible soccer formations = 10.

Here is also another strange "formation" piece of trivia about the most commonly used formation for military maneuver units, which is the wedge: it was essentially invented/ made popular in modern warfare during the Mexican-American War by Bobby Lee's President! Ol Jeff really wanted a commission as a General in the Confederate Army but alas he ended up a Perfumed Princess, if you will. I'll betchya you don't learn stuff like that at BSU Truck Driving School! Leading our way to Fame, Bitches!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    I can guarantee you it isn't the 3-5-3. But alas I attended a veritable SoCal soccer high school powerhouse and learned that there are 11 players on the field, one of whom is the goalkeeper who is not included in the formation description. So the sum of all possible soccer formations = 10.

Here is also another strange "formation" piece of trivia about the most commonly used formation for military maneuver units, which is the wedge: it was essentially invented/ made popular in modern warfare during the Mexican-American War by Bobby Lee's President! Ol Jeff really wanted a commission as a General in the Confederate Army but alas he ended up a Perfumed Princess, if you will. I'll betchya you don't learn stuff like that at BSU Truck Driving School! Leading our way to Fame, Bitches!
    A few teams like Bayern Munich like the 3-5-2 (if I or anybody else that we did so in a rush), if they have speedy defenders to advance the attack. The 4-4-2 is the base formation for many teams, with variations being 4-3-3 or 4-1-3-2 (basically a 4-4-2). Paraguay has used some exotic formations as well.

Pre-Historic Man

BYU is playing UVU in first round of the NCAA Tourney.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3157717...-no-13-cougars

Wally and Funk, see you there, 1:00 PM, Saturday, South Field.

im going!

Pre-Historic Man

im going!
    Ashley Hatch is back in action. Assuming they make it past the first few rounds, that is valuable.

Now get your buddies Wally and Fund out there. BYU gets a rematch against Stanford in the second round however.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-women/d1

Santa Clara got a fourth seed and BYU did not despite tying Santa Clara at their home and winning the conference. BYU did not get credit for winning without Hatch. It got screwed by the committee.
    Last edited by Topper; 11-09-2015 at 03:43 PM.

A
    Santa Clara got a fourth seed and BYU did not despite tying Santa Clara at their home and winning the conference. BYU did not get credit for winning without Hatch. It got screwed by the committee.
    Santa Clara had a slightly harder non conference schedule AND they actually beat Stanford this season where BYU lost. That fact seems to be escaping the BYU fans who are complaining. BYU tried to schedule tough but it turned out almost every team they thought might be good wasn't. Cal was a nice win (#24 rpi), but that was pretty much it. All the other P12 teams BYU played (like Utah) turned out to be total duds.

It's not that big of a deal. BYU is playing very well right now and they will wipe out UVU at home. Then they already know they can play with Stanford. The players admitted they were a little intimidated in the first half of that game but something clicked in the last 20 minutes and they realized they could play with them. I believe a couple of shots hit the post or the crossbar and we came really close at least to tying it. They've been there already and won't be intimidated.

I'm also ok with BYU going into this feeling like they have something to prove. Ashley Hatch is back and Nadia Gomes is now mentally confident and playing up to the level of her considerable athletic talent, unlike when they went into Stanford the first time. BYU has a very balanced deep team, and when they're all playing well as in the last couple of weeks, they can play with anyone.
    Last edited by BlueK; 11-10-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Pre-Historic Man

Santa Clara had a slightly harder non conference schedule AND they actually beat Stanford this season where BYU lost. That fact seems to be escaping the BYU fans who are complaining. BYU tried to schedule tough but it turned out almost every team they thought might be good wasn't. Cal was a nice win (#24 rpi), but that was pretty much it. All the other P12 teams BYU played (like Utah) turned out to be total duds.

It's not that big of a deal. BYU is playing very well right now and they will wipe out UVU at home. Then they already know they can play with Stanford. The players admitted they were a little intimidated in the first half of that game but something clicked in the last 20 minutes and they realized they could play with them. I believe a couple of shots hit the post or the crossbar and we came really close at least to tying it. They've been there already and won't be intimidated.

I'm also ok with BYU going into this feeling like they have something to prove. Ashley Hatch is back and Nadia Gomes is now mentally confident and playing up to the level of her considerable athletic talent, unlike when they went into Stanford the first time. BYU has a very balanced deep team, and when they're all playing well as in the last couple of weeks, they can play with anyone.
    They need to come out confident as they did in the last quarter of the Stanford game. They played conservatively and scared in the first three quarters in the game against Stanford.

They need to come out confident as they did in the last quarter of the Stanford game. They played conservatively and scared in the first three quarters in the game against Stanford.
    soccer is generally played in two halves, not in four quarters. I wasn't at that Stanford game so they may have changed the format.

Pre-Historic Man

soccer is generally played in two halves, not in four quarters. I wasn't at that Stanford game so they may have changed the format.
    But of course. However, BYU played a full 45 in a reactive mode, and then I, for purposes of clarification, broke down an approximation of when BYU actually began playing well with energy. But I am glad you were paying attention to the writing even if you did not pay attention to the game itself.

But of course. However, BYU played a full 45 in a reactive mode, and then I, for purposes of clarification, broke down an approximation of when BYU actually began playing well with energy. But I am glad you were paying attention to the writing even if you did not pay attention to the game itself.
    ok, i understand your clarification. I would agree that BYU started playing better in the 8th and 9th innings.

Pre-Historic Man

ok, i understand your clarification. I would agree that BYU started playing better in the 8th and 9th innings.
    Lol. So I should have written quartiles to avoid confusing you with American football terminology.

Lol. So I should have written quartiles to avoid confusing you with American football terminology.
    i thought you were talking about basketball?

Pre-Historic Man

i thought you were talking about basketball?
    You're correct.

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

You guys care about women's soccer?
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    You guys care about women's soccer?
    Ummm, yeah. It's a real sport.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Ummm, yeah. It's a real sport.
    The women's soccer team is good and fun to watch. I get it that not everyone likes soccer, but if you watch, they're skilled at what they do and I admire their athletic ability. Also they play for BYU. This is the great thing about college sports. It's more than just the game itself. It connects us back to something that is a big part of who we are.
    Last edited by BlueK; 11-11-2015 at 07:31 AM.

The women's soccer team is good and fun to watch. I get it that not everyone likes soccer, but if you watch, they're skilled at what they do and I admire their athletic ability. Also they play for BYU. This is the great thing about college sports. It's more than just the game itself. It connects us back to something that is a big part of who we are.
    Also we usually have several hot girls on the team. But what you said, too.

Also we usually have several hot girls on the team. But what you said, too.
    True, and this year is no exception. They're also nice. Last year I took my young daughter to SMU when they came out here for a game. The highlight of her night was waiting afterwards for the BYU players to come out and say hi to the fans. Several took a minute to talk to my daughter and thank her for coming to the game. I couldn't have been more impressed with the way they treated the fans.

By the way, the WCC handed out the post-season awards today. Congrats to Nadia Gomes for earning WCC player of the year, along with several others for making all-conference.

http://byucougars.com/w-soccer/all-w...gomes-and-boaz

Pre-Historic Man

True, and this year is no exception. They're also nice. Last year I took my young daughter to SMU when they came out here for a game. The highlight of her night was waiting afterwards for the BYU players to come out and say hi to the fans. Several took a minute to talk to my daughter and thank her for coming to the game. I couldn't have been more impressed with the way they treated the fans.

By the way, the WCC handed out the post-season awards today. Congrats to Nadia Gomes for earning WCC player of the year, along with several others for making all-conference.

http://byucougars.com/w-soccer/all-w...gomes-and-boaz
    Nice goal by Elena. Let's hope she's ready to play against Stanford. Next game, is Thursday, in Palo Alto, California against Stanford. Any locals planning on attending?
    Last edited by Topper; 11-16-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Pre-Historic Man

BYU played better the second half and was playing stronger, but got sloppy on a counter and gave up a goal in the 75th minute. It is tragic they had to play Stanford so early in the rounds, as Hatch was not completely match fit. It may have been different had she played herself into match fitness and BYU had better spacing.