No announcement yet.

BYU women soccer plays at Stanford now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boaz is a great keeper. She gave up one goal against the #2 team on the road. The SOGs differential was 6-1 but through our first several matches our defense has been stellar. BYU had not given up a goal in the regular season and in every match had won the SOG differential. Also, #9 is hot but runs with a funny gait and her fists clenched. This team is every bit as good if not better than the one that went to the elite 8. We should win the WCC again pretty handily. Can't wait for Thursday night against Utah state at South Field. For those that haven't been to one, go check it out. The field is beautiful and the crowds are always raucous. Also, a very inexpensive outing so great as a daddy date, for example, or for those that fly southwest.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      Boaz is a great keeper. She gave up one goal against the #2 team on the road. The SOGs differential was 6-1 but through our first several matches our defense has been stellar. BYU had not given up a goal in the regular season and in every match had won the SOG differential. Also, #9 is hot but runs with a funny gait and her fists clenched. This team is every bit as good if not better than the one that went to the elite 8. We should win the WCC again pretty handily. Can't wait for Thursday night against Utah state at South Field. For those that haven't been to one, go check it out. The field is beautiful and the crowds are always raucous. Also, a very inexpensive outing so great as a daddy date, for example, or for those that fly southwest.
      Are they using a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or some other formation?

What are they doing to correct the problem of using the mids on attack? Against Stanford for much of the game, they did not keep possession very well until the last fifteen minutes. I also noticed for the very first time, that there doesn't appear to be stoppage time in the college game. Why is that?
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        I did not know you were such a Soccer aficionado, did the Lancers stay within 3 goals, either boys or girls, of either of the two high school teams from my beloved Simi Valley back in the Day that Chief Severn prowled slowpitch softball dugouts? IIRC, you folks were more a girls cross country (WOWZA!) and football school (insert gratuitous comment about Monestine et all loosening up the Lancer Lady XC runners before their Saturday invitationals!)
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post

What are they doing to correct the problem of using the mids on attack? Against Stanford for much of the game, they did not keep possession very well until the last fifteen minutes. I also noticed for the very first time, that there doesn't appear to be stoppage time in the college game. Why is that?
          The games are available to watch on BYUtv.org.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            The games are available to watch on BYUtv.org.
            The Stanford game was not, and I haven't been near the computer during previous games this year. I do intend to watch at some point this year.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

The Stanford game was not, and I haven't been near the computer during previous games this year. I do intend to watch at some point this year.
              You can also watch them with the BYUtv app on Roku, AppleTV, iPad, etc.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                You can also watch them with the BYUtv app on Roku, AppleTV, iPad, etc.
                IOW, you don't know what formation is used, but you are showing me other modes of accessing BYUtv. How kind.

Comment

IOW, you don't know what formation is used, but you are showing me other modes of accessing BYUtv. How kind.
                  I don't know or care enough about soccer to distinguish formations.
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

This hasn't been a problem against anyone this season except Stanford. Elena Medeiros has been a very strong attacking midfielder in every other game this season, including against a Cal team that hasn't lost to anyone other than us and has beaten powerhouse Duke so far and tied perennial uber powerhouse N. Carolina. BYU seemed a little overwhelmed for much of the game but the last 15-20 minutes were much different and more representative of how they've played all season so far. We came just one cross bar hitting shot from tying the game.

Colorado is also playing well right now against everyone else and is another team we beat pretty easily.
                    Last edited by BlueK; 09-08-2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                      This hasn't been a problem against anyone this season except Stanford. Elena Medeiros has been a very strong attacking midfielder in every other game this season, including against a Cal team that hasn't lost to anyone other than us and has beaten powerhouse Duke so far and tied perennial uber powerhouse N. Carolina. BYU seemed a little overwhelmed for much of the game but the last 15-20 minutes were much different and more representative of how they've played all season so far. We came just one cross bar hitting shot from tying the game.
                      So you believe they may have been a bit star-crossed for the first part of the game?

BTW, what formation were they using?

Comment

So you believe they may have been a bit star-crossed for the first part of the game?

BTW, what formation were they using?
                        Technically I believe it's a 3-5-3, but Medeiros is one of the 5 midfielders who really seems to play like another forward (#2 on the team in shots taken, tied for 1st in goals). Murphy-Vasconcelos also plays both like a forward and midfielder. Hatch and Gomes are pure forwards. They often have the look of 4 forwards and 3 midfielders, IOW. Campbell-Isom, Ringwood and Calton have been so good on defense so far (not to mention Boaz in goal), which has given them a lot of freedom on offense, IMO.
                        Last edited by BlueK; 09-08-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Technically I believe it's a 3-5-3, but Medeiros is one of the 5 midfielders and really seems to play like another forward. Murphy-Vasconcelos also plays both like a forward and midfielder. Hatch and Gomes are pure forwards. They often have the look of 4 forwards and 3 midfielders, IOW.
                          Do they have the speed to play with a backline of only three defenders?
                          Which defender typically slides back on defense?
                          Who is the center back?
                          Who has the most technical skill, or are they relatively equal?

It sounded as if they were bobbling a lot of passes yesterday, but I couldn't see the pressure Stanford applied.

Do you believe they learned something from their passive, sloppy play in the first 75 minutes?

Comment

Do they have the speed to play with a backline of only three defenders?
                            Which defender typically slides back on defense?
                            Who is the center back?
                            Who has the most technical skill, or are they relatively equal?

It sounded as if they were bobbling a lot of passes yesterday, but I couldn't see the pressure Stanford applied.

Do you believe they learned something from their passive, sloppy play in the first 75 minutes?
                            I couldn't watch, so it's hard to know for sure, but having watched most of their other games, and hearing what happened at the end when it seemed they suddenly found another gear, I'm going to assume a lot of the problem for the first 70-75 minutes was mental at facing a team that was a step above the others, and on the road. Although, I'm not sure that Cal is that far below Stanford, but it was on a neutral field and BYU got an early goal in that one.

Your other questions kind of stretch my knowledge. BYU does have a lot of speed. I'm going to guess Stanford was the only team we've faced this year that matched or surpassed it. BYU definitely looked faster than the others I've seen them play against. Cal, Colorado, Nebraska and Utah are all solid opponents. The next few aren't going to be nearly as good and BYU should wipe them all out. Campbell-Isom is the anchor of the defense and the most skilled. Calton is probably the speediest but also the youngest of the three starting defenders.

Comment

I couldn't watch, so it's hard to know for sure, but having watched most of their other games, and hearing what happened at the end when it seemed they suddenly found another gear, I'm going to assume a lot of the problem for the first 70-75 minutes was mental at facing a team that was a step above the others, and on the road. Although, I'm not sure that Cal is that far below Stanford, but it was on a neutral field and BYU got an early goal in that one.

Your other questions kind of stretch my knowledge. BYU does have a lot of speed. I'm going to guess Stanford was the only team we've faced this year that matched or surpassed it. BYU definitely looked faster than the others I've seen them play against. Cal, Colorado, Nebraska and Utah are all solid opponents. The next few aren't going to be nearly as good and BYU should wipe them all out. Campbell-Isom is the anchor of the defense and the most skilled. Calton is probably the speediest but also the youngest of the three starting defenders.
                              Well, I need to correct myself. For some reason I had thought Campbell-Isom was a senior. She has played like it so far. Actually all three starting defenders are sophomores. BYU has had a couple of amazing recruiting classes recently. Also, RM Paige Hunt, a junior, plays a defending midfielder position. She has the funny distinction of having been named to the pre-season all WCC team when she was already gone on her mission. She's come home and played very well.
                              Last edited by BlueK; 09-08-2015, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Well, I need to correct myself. For some reason I had thought Campbell-Isom was a senior. She has played like it so far. Actually all three starting defenders are sophomores. BYU has had a couple of amazing recruiting classes recently. Also, RM Paige Hunt, a junior, plays a defending midfielder position. She has the funny distinction of having been named to the pre-season all WCC team when she was already gone on her mission. She's come home and played very well.
                                Do they sign recruits for next season in November? The team seems to be Utah top heavy. Is Utah is Region 3 or 4 for USA Soccer?

Comment

Working...
                                X