Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2015 Market Crash

Default The 2015 Market Crash

Well, at least the stock market run-up was based on the fundamentals; namely a strong US economy that's creating lots of small businesses and jobs.

Oh wait.

Well, at least wages have gone up and people have some discretionary income so the dip won't be that bad.

Oh wait.

It's not like we haven't had a large influx of people, so the labor market will remain tight and wages will stay up.

Oh wait.

The Fed can still do a lot by loosening monetary policy so that American big business has access to capital at extremely low cost.

Oh wait.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Look at the bright side, there will be some great buying opportunities. Apple has a p/e ratio of 11. Due to the overall slide of the market, Apple will irrationally go lower while its fundamentals are still great.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

The world economy hasn't been good for at least the past year but it seems it takes a while for people to finally believe that it won't be coming back so fast. Like I said many years ago, the run up under Obama is mostly illusionary as the QE stuff simply kept the bubble from bursting again. It's been a slow growth pattern for the real economy and honestly, the U.S. Economy isn't in terrible shape. This drop is mostly due to the world economy sucking.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about it and I expect things will normalize in a week or two and then we'll be back on the very slow growth trajectory that is typical of Obamas economic policy.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Oh, and thankfully I own 4 tents just in case things get real bad and a white salamander tells me to pack up and head for Missouri.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I credit Obama's economic policies for the quick 500+ point rebound.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

The solar announcement? Yeah, good timing on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I credit Obama's economic policies for the quick 500+ point rebound.
    750 now you damned anchor baby!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    750 now you damned anchor baby!
    Yeah! Obama's economy is awesome!

It won't be 2008, but something more like late 2000 to 2003. This slide already started awhile ago, but the market will lose some not insignificant part of its value, say 33% or so, and will languish there for a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    It won't be 2008, but something more like late 2000 to 2003. This slide already started awhile ago, but the market will lose some not insignificant part of its value, say 33% or so, and will languish there for a couple years.
    haha are you still talking about this??

Thanks! I am going to make a ton of money with that knowledge.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

haha are you still talking about this??
    Lol, go ahead, put some money in right now. There's never been a better time to buy. There are bargains all over the place.

Europe's down huge, Asia's down huge, but the US will buck the trend. Put a couple thousand into an index fund today and let me know how you do in a few months.

Lol, go ahead, put some money in right now. There's never been a better time to buy. There are bargains all over the place.

Europe's down huge, Asia's down huge, but the US will buck the trend. Put a couple thousand into an index fund today and let me know how you do in a few months.
    i should have listed to you three hours ago and purchased when the economy was apparently worse than it is right now!

i should have listed to you three hours ago and purchased when the economy was apparently worse than it is right now!
    It's gone up 850 points in one day. Buy now or lose out on the incredible bullmarket we're about to have.

It's gone up 850 points in one day. Buy now or lose out on the incredible bullmarket we're about to have.
    You should start a separate thread based on this meteoric rise, extolling the virtues of Obama's economy.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

lol CMBF thinks like Donald Trump

Yeah! Obama's economy is awesome!

A work associate of mine who "majored in finance" and "worked for UBS for a couple years" poked his head in my office and told me he was going to offer me some unsolicited advice: "never put any money in the stock market." I figured he was just overreacting to the morning's events, so I prodded him a bit. Apparently, he doesn't have any money in the stock market and he is genuinely offering me financial advice. I "might as well be gambling on the Strip" he says.

This is the same guy who has made it abundantly clear that he has no idea how to manage his finances. For example, through an accounting glitch, he was not paid for the 3 days of vacation he took (he didn't have any vacation saved up as a new hire, but was promised upon hiring that he could take those 3 days off, with pay). When his check was 3 days short, he freaked out, wondering how his family of 4 would get by until the next pay period. He and his wife both make 6-figure salaries, but this 3-day hiccup was going to doom them.

In other words, just the type of guy you want giving you financial advice. Which is why I wanted to make sure the board is in the know.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    A work associate of mine who "majored in finance" and "worked for UBS for a couple years" poked his head in my office and told me he was going to offer me some unsolicited advice: "never put any money in the stock market." I figured he was just overreacting to the morning's events, so I prodded him a bit. Apparently, he doesn't have any money in the stock market and he is genuinely offering me financial advice. I "might as well be gambling on the Strip" he says.

This is the same guy who has made it abundantly clear that he has no idea how to manage his finances. For example, through an accounting glitch, he was not paid for the 3 days of vacation he took (he didn't have any vacation saved up as a new hire, but was promised upon hiring that he could take those 3 days off, with pay). When his check was 3 days short, he freaked out, wondering how his family of 4 would get by until the next pay period. He and his wife both make 6-figure salaries, but this 3-day hiccup was going to doom them.

In other words, just the type of guy you want giving you financial advice. Which is why I wanted to make sure the board is in the know.

Any other kernels?
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

My major concern is that the children are ok. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

i mean, he's right
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

So, by your subsequent posts you were just kidding here?

We have a big screen TV in the reception area. An advisor was just sitting there in front of it with a glazed stare. He said, we are down 900, we have never seen a down 900. I said I have and he said no I hadn't. Well in '87 the market dropped 23% in one day. That is equivalent to about 3,800 points. Advisors with only 20 years experience are wet behind the ears.
    Last edited by byu71; 08-24-2015 at 10:23 AM.

I sold all my stocks at 9:30 this morning and bought a ton of food storage :beprepared:

Bright side, interest rates are dropping! Go refinance your home!
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I sold all my stocks at 9:30 this morning and bought a ton of food storage :beprepared:
    I sold everything at 830am. I should have waited another hour.

This reminds me of a substitute teacher in our jr. high careers class who told us we had a better chance going to Vegas and making it shooting craps than we did being successful in life. He clearly wasn't happy with his life choices.
    Not that, sickos.

Quote Originally Posted by thesaint258 View Post
    This reminds me of a substitute teacher in our jr. high careers class who told us we had a better chance going to Vegas and making it shooting craps than we did being successful in life. He clearly wasn't happy with his life choices.
    I would agree the market and life are gambles. However, if you play it right you can be the house. You will lose sometimes, but overall come out ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    So, by your subsequent posts you were just kidding here?

We have a big screen TV in the reception area. An advisor was just sitting there in front of it with a glazed stare. He said, we are down 900, we have never seen a down 900. I said I have and he said no I hadn't. Well in '87 the market dropped 23% in one day. That is equivalent to about 3,800 points. Advisors with only 20 years experience are wet behind the ears.
    I was trying to parrot DDD's good advice which is that you should bet against a 1,500 point drop in the past week and go all in on the top of a dead cat bounce. The market has already lost about 12-13% of its value this year and it will eventually go to at least a 20% dip -- but that would mean the Dow would only have to go down to around 14,700. It was at 15,400 this morning. If I had to bet, I'd say the Dow eventually goes down into the 13k range at some point in time this year or next. That's not much of a bet when you consider what's happened to foreign markets and the US markets aren't going to completely buck the trend.

When I wrote the post, the market had already gained back around 50% of the morning's loss, in fact the drop was essentially where it's at right now at the time of this post. I was commenting on the overall terrible week that culminated in the rather shocking initial loss this morning.

I was trying to parrot DDD's good advice which is that you should bet against a 1,500 point drop in the past week and go all in on the top of a dead cat bounce. The market has already lost about 12-13% of its value this year and it will eventually go to at least a 20% dip -- but that would mean the Dow would only have to go down to around 14,700. It was at 15,400 this morning. If I had to bet, I'd say the Dow eventually goes down into the 13k range at some point in time this year or next. That's not much of a bet when you consider what's happened to foreign markets and the US markets aren't going to completely buck the trend.

When I wrote the post, the market had already gained back around 50% of the morning's loss, in fact the drop was essentially where it's at right now at the time of this post. I was commenting on the overall terrible week that culminated in the rather shocking initial loss this morning.

Thanks. Just like to be clear on what someone predicts so I can judge them later.