Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    My thoughts:

1.) I hope to hell you are right about Aytes. BYU is going to need both Aytes and Davis to be healthy and playing to their potential or else BYU will not improve from last year.

2.) I have concluded that Corbin Kaufusi is going to come off the bench next year and as a senior. It is a good thing that this year a long time starter, Nate Austin, is likely to come off the bench. It will be a better thing next year when the FYM who replaced Nate as a starter, Corbin Kaufusi, loses his starting position back to Eric Mika.

I will have more thoughts later but right now I wish you all could live like you was dying!
    Aytes is being held out on back to backs right now for precautionary reasons. LaComb confirmed that the other day and said it was decided upon before the Spain trip.

Davis will average close to a double double. This team will be better than last year's.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      Aytes is being held out on back to backs right now for precautionary reasons. LaComb confirmed that the other day and said it was decided upon before the Spain trip.

Davis will average close to a double double. This team will be better than last year's.
      It appears that Aytes didn't play today. Time will tell but having a legit post presence for 40 minutes at the 4 will be a key if BYU is going to be better than last year. I agree with you that Kyle Davis will be good and he will provide that for 26 mpg, but if Aytes doesn't recover, a situation that seems to be looking more and more likely, then BYU loses that ability when Kyle goes out of the game. I do not believe either Austin or Kaufusi will be consistent scoring the ball.

Edit: BYU might be holding out Aytes to play tomorrow. If they don't want him playing back to back games the decision could be to play game 1 and game 4. I hope he is getting healthy.
      Last edited by Goatnapper'96; 08-24-2015, 02:28 PM.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Box Score through 3 games:

http://byucougars.com/files/spain-totals_0.pdf

Looks like Seljaas is struggling. Kyle Davis has not shot free throws real well either. When the dust settles I think the starters will be: KyleC, ChaseF, NickE, KyleD and CorbinK. Off the bench BYU will play JordanC, JakeT, NateA and JamalA. When KyleC is not in the game I figure NickeE will play the 1. Seljaas and Calvert will see spot minutes, mostly Seljaas with Calvert only playing if there is an injury or foul trouble to KyleC and/or NickE. Braiden Shaw will play if both Austin and Kaufusi are hurt or in foul trouble and BYU can't get away with playing Davis at the 5.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          This team will be better than last year's.
          I hope you're right. Last year's team had some amazing moments but the year could have been fantastic had we gotten a few bounces. Those double overtime losses to SDSU and Purdue (I think, right?) were pretty devastating to our seeding and momentum. That win over the Zags at the Kennel was one for the ages and exemplified what those guys could do in sync. We'll miss that Haws midrange and gamesmanship, but hopefully our newfound strength in the paint can allow the shooters to shoot the lights out this year and allow KC to roam and do just what he wants.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
            I hope you're right. Last year's team had some amazing moments but the year could have been fantastic had we gotten a few bounces. Those double overtime losses to SDSU and Purdue (I think, right?) were pretty devastating to our seeding and momentum. That win over the Zags at the Kennel was one for the ages and exemplified what those guys could do in sync. We'll miss that Haws midrange and gamesmanship, but hopefully our newfound strength in the paint can allow the shooters to shoot the lights out this year and allow KC to roam and do just what he wants.
            Yeah, I'm hoping for a more balanced attack that will be harder to stop. Pick-your-poison style.

BTW, what do y'all think about Calvert's future and potential impact? Pre-mission he pretty much only got some mop up duty and shot 32%. He has some nice accomplishments and stats from high school, but I never saw anything since he arrived at BYU that made me think "Can't wait!"

Comment

My thoughts:

1.) I hope to hell you are right about Aytes. BYU is going to need both Aytes and Davis to be healthy and playing to their potential or else BYU will not improve from last year.

2.) I have concluded that Corbin Kaufusi is going to come off the bench next year and as a senior. It is a good thing that this year a long time starter, Nate Austin, is likely to come off the bench. It will be a better thing next year when the FYM who replaced Nate as a starter, Corbin Kaufusi, loses his starting position back to Eric Mika.

I will have more thoughts later but right now I wish you all could live like you was dying!
              Box Score through 3 games:

http://byucougars.com/files/spain-totals_0.pdf

Looks like Seljaas is struggling. Kyle Davis has not shot free throws real well either. When the dust settles I think the starters will be: KyleC, ChaseF, NickE, KyleD and CorbinK. Off the bench BYU will play JordanC, JakeT, NateA and JamalA. When KyleC is not in the game I figure NickeE will play the 1. Seljaas and Calvert will see spot minutes, mostly Seljaas with Calvert only playing if there is an injury or foul trouble to KyleC and/or NickE. Braiden Shaw will play if both Austin and Kaufusi are hurt or in foul trouble and BYU can't get away with playing Davis at the 5.
              lol

Can't wait for tomorrow's report.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                lol

Can't wait for tomorrow's report.
                I think by "next year" he meant 2016-2017, Kaufusi's junior year when Mika and Dastrup are back.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                  I think by "next year" he meant 2016-2017, Kaufusi's junior year when Mika and Dastrup are back.
                  Sometimes Joe Cool ain't so cool. president Iwannabeaga might have been on to something!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Crockett View Post
                    Yeah, I'm hoping for a more balanced attack that will be harder to stop. Pick-your-poison style.

BTW, what do y'all think about Calvert's future and potential impact? Pre-mission he pretty much only got some mop up duty and shot 32%. He has some nice accomplishments and stats from high school, but I never saw anything since he arrived at BYU that made me think "Can't wait!"
                    I'm hoping the balanced team and more depth than we've seen here in 4-5 years means BYU finally gets back to never losing to bad teams, instead of 3 or so of those a year like we've seen in the post-Jimmer era. Most fans have probably forgotten that losing to a few bad teams every year was not something Rose teams used to do. This has everything to do with balance and depth, IMO. Here are BYU's losses to sub-rpi 100 teams during Dave Rose's tenure:

2006 (19-8) NIT 1st round
                    at #162 Utah

2007 (24-8) NCAA 1st round
                    at #106 CSU

2008 (27-7) NCAA 1st round
                    none

2009 (24-7) NCAA 1st round
                    none

2010 (28-5) NCAA 2nd round
                    none

2011 (29-4) NCAA sweet 16
                    none

2012 (23-8) NCAA win in first four, loss in first round
                    at #117 LMU

2013 (20-11) NIT semifinals
                    at #165 USD
                    vs. #167 USF

2014 (22-11) NCAA first round
                    at #179 LMU
                    at #159 Pepperdine
                    at #178 Portland
                    at #133 Pacific

2015 (20-8) NCAA first four
                    vs. #148 Pepperdine
                    at #146 USD
                    at #148 Pepperdine
                    Last edited by BlueK; 08-25-2015, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Sometimes Joe Cool ain't so cool. president Iwannabeaga might have been on to something!
                      Well, he was from the 208 (but settled in the 801).

Mea Culpa. Looking forward to reports on starters/bench looking out years 3-6!
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                      X