Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soundbars

Default Soundbars

I'm looking for recommendations on a decent soundbar....well, actually I think I need two of them. One of them will have to be hung from the TV that is already mounted on the wall...so it has to be a slimmer design. The other will go with a TV that is on a stand and sitting on an entertainment center. I've been looking for a while and it seems there are a million options and everyone seems to love their model...which makes me skeptical.

Anyway, this is one I found that would probably work well on the TV that is on a stand. I like the idea of it being flat and the TV sitting on it and it's got some great reviews everywhere. I also like the idea of easily connecting a iPhone to it to play music since this one will be in the living room, which is central to the home: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Q74s2Iv...dBase-670.html

The other one just needs to be slim and mountable, which I think most are. I'm not as worried about quality on this one since it'll be in the game room and mostly used by the kids to watch cartoons and other lame stuff. Anyway, if I go cheap I'm leaning towards this: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB3821-C...less+Subwoofer

Anyone have a soundbar they absolutely love?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Get one that matches the brand of your TV if possible. That way the connection is seamless and you can use one remote control both without any hitches. Also when you turn off your TV it turns off the sound bar and vice a versa.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Get one that matches the brand of your TV if possible. That way the connection is seamless and you can use one remote control both without any hitches. Also when you turn off your TV it turns off the sound bar and vice a versa.
    Hmm, we us Dish Network remotes for both TVs. I'm not sure I can even find the remote that came with the living room TV.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Hmm, we us Dish Network remotes for both TVs. I'm not sure I can even find the remote that came with the living room TV.
    Doesn't matter. As long as the Dish remote is programmed to your TV, it will control the soundbar.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Boo. That is stereo equipment. Buy it like you would any other stereo equipment. TV makers generally aren't competent stereo makers. Also depends what you will use it for most of the time...music vs gaming vs TV. Will you use it in conjunction with a larger sub?

i have had good luck with Def Tech but I know Yamaha makes a good sound bar.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Boo. That is stereo equipment. Buy it like you would any other stereo equipment. TV makers generally aren't competent stereo makers. Also depends what you will use it for most of the time...music vs gaming vs TV. Will you use it in conjunction with a larger sub?

i have had good luck with Def Tech but I know Yamaha makes a good sound bar.
    In the living room it'll mostly be used to watch TV and movies with the occasional music being played. The problem I'm having is that the living room ceiling is high (two stories high) and the TV speaker just doesn't cut it. The room doesn't have the best accoustics for TV watching so I'm not looking for a top of the line model, just something that projects good sound for random TV/movie watching. I've got a study that is already wired for surround sound, which when I finally get around to buying a TV will become my study/media room. I'll put the nicer speakers in the study.

I honestly don't need a soundbar in the game room and I'm considering not getting one, but if I can find a cheap solution that helps project good sound I might get it and install it. So far the kids haven't copmlained...but of course all they do is watch cartoons and play wii...and watch the occasional movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Nope, I've toyed with that idea but I just don't want to fork out the cash for sonos.

I have a Samsung that I like.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Kilpsch Bluetooth. Looks good, sounds great.

Bump. Looking for something decent ~$200. Any recommendations? Would like HDMI ARC if possible, but not sure if that is available at that price point.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I ended up getting a ZVOX sound bar (or it's really a platform since the tv sits on top of it). I've loved it but it was a bit more than your price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I ended up getting a ZVOX sound bar (or it's really a platform since the tv sits on top of it). I've loved it but it was a bit more than your price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not really interested in those sound slabs, despite good reviews. Too ugly.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Bump. Looking for something decent ~$200. Any recommendations? Would like HDMI ARC if possible, but not sure if that is available at that price point.
    There's a Samsung Soundbar at Costco that's normally $250 and it's $110 off right now. It has HDMI arc and it's better than their other soundbars in that price range. You can tell it's not the Bose but it's also seems to sound better than the Vizio, LG, etc
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    There's a Samsung Soundbar at Costco that's normally $250 and it's $110 off right now. It has HDMI arc and it's better than their other soundbars in that price range. You can tell it's not the Bose but it's also seems to sound better than the Vizio, LG, etc
    Nice. I'll check that out.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Nice. I'll check that out.
    I have a Vizio, Klipsch, and the above Samsung. Perhaps because it is 5 years newer, but I can't tell any difference between the Samsung and Klipsch. The Vizio comes in a distant third, but again that may have to do with being connected to the oldest television, which only has Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I have a Vizio, Klipsch, and the above Samsung. Perhaps because it is 5 years newer, but I can't tell any difference between the Samsung and Klipsch. The Vizio comes in a distant third, but again that may have to do with being connected to the oldest television, which only has Apple TV
    Which Vizio do you have? I am looking at this one, mainly because of the slim sub.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G3STJDG...I2M84TYO273XE5

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Which Vizio do you have? I am looking at this one, mainly because of the slim sub.

I'm not sure, probably the bottom of line version. It's 2+ years old. I wanted one without a sub due the tv and location I hooked it up to.

Btw, the Samsung soundbar is the same price on Amazon. With Prime, it's a slightly better deal than Costco. It looks like you may be able to find something better on Amazon anyway beyond that Samsung model.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Btw, the Samsung soundbar is the same price on Amazon. With Prime, it's a slightly better deal than Costco. It looks like you may be able to find something better on Amazon anyway beyond that Samsung model.
    I was looking at this one on Amazon, but I can't tell if its an upgraded model or what. Very similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-K4...&sortBy=recent

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I was looking at this one on Amazon, but I can't tell if its an upgraded model or what. Very similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-K4...&sortBy=recent
    I think it's the exact same. I would see what Yamaha offers on Amazon. There's also also a better Samsung that's around $220 down from $380.

Also look at B&H Photo, those Orthodox Jews have a pretty awesome online store.

I can't believe people actually buy these things.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Dude, you can't have 7.1 in every room with a TV.

Dude you work 7.1 days a month, when you're busy. Not all of us can send our wife off to the office, then sit home and watch movies and make bread all day long.

Only my outdoor theater has 7.1. Have to live with 5.1 everywhere else.

Dude you work 7.1 days a month, when you're busy. Not all of us can send our wife off to the office, then sit home and watch movies and make bread all day long.
    Listen, I get it, in a shared-wall home/apartment you have to settle for crappy audio.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Only my outdoor theater has 7.1. Have to live with 5.1 everywhere else.

Listen, I get it, in a shared-wall home/apartment you have to settle for crappy audio.
    The upstairs, and downstairs, neighbors get pissed if the volume goes past 14. Does smoking make your hearing better?

The upstairs, and downstairs, neighbors get pissed if the volume goes past 14. Does smoking make your hearing better?
    Most major receiver manufacturers use a scale from 1 to 100 now. FYI.

Does your boombox have one cassette deck or two?

I have a mid tier Yamaha receiver, hardly ever use it. When kids are dealing with the TV, simpler is better, but TV speakers are awful. Soundbars are somewhere in between the terrible TV speakers and a full blown 7.1 system. You avoid the complexity of having a separate receiver with a ton of settings to mess with, but the sound isn't as good.

My kids aren't too dumb to operate a sound system... a task that basically consists of two things: 1) turning the power to the receiver on, and 2) selecting the appropriate A/V input.

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I slapped on a pair of 10w computer speakers and just plugged them into the TV. The TV itself controls the level of the sound, while the tinny speakers that are in the TV go silent. Works well for my purposes. Can even mount them to the wall.