Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soundbars

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    This is the receiver I have:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Qh7hCW...-AVR-1613.html

It's several years old, but got great reviews when I bought it. Worked great when I had it set up.

I have a 5.1 set of small Energy speakers:

https://www.newegg.com/energy-take-5...82E16882269004

They also sound great. No subwoofer though.

I have no doubt that setting up what I already have would improve the sound significantly. And I'm sure I could improve it more with even better speakers. I just don't want to hassle with the wires, but maybe it'd be worth it to figure out how to put them in the walls.

The other issue I have is that it seems like there's not a great place to put the rear speakers. I'd probably have to get some speaker stands, which isn't that appealing. Might be the best option though. There is a beam behind the coach that I might be able to attach them to, but it is pretty high. Maybe if I angle the speakers down correctly though it would work.

A soundbar seemed like a good solution, but now I'm thinking it might be best to figure out how to get my receiver and speakers set up right.

Does anyone know anything about wireless speakers? I can't imaging they sound as good as hard-wired ones, but maybe that's an option.

Edit: Also, just remembered that the receiver I have doesn't support 4k or HDR, which is probably a deal breaker. I'd probably want to get a new receiver if I went this route.
    Good info. I'd recommend setting up at least the front three speakers with the existing receiver and determining whether or not the audio is good enough. If it is, then you don't need new speakers. If it's not good enough, then you might need one or more new speakers.

As for a subwoofer - what type of movies/shows do you watch? If a high percentage of action-type shows, then you'll definitely want a good subwoofer. Even shows that aren't typical blockbuster action movies can benefit from a good subwoofer. For example, in the first season of Stranger Things, I noticed a big difference when my wife would disconnect the sub (because she hates good audio). On the other hand, if your viewing habits are mostly dialogue-intense rom-coms, then a sub might not add much.

Denon makes very respectable receivers. It might make sense to still use the one you've got, even though it isn't equipped with 4k and HDR. If you have enough inputs on the TV, then you can run the video sources directly to the TV and run an optical cable back to the receiver. That way, the receiver is only handling the audio.

If you prefer to run all the sources through the receiver (which is what I do) you can get a receiver compatible with 4k and HDR relatively inexpensively if you're willing to do refurbished. Accessories 4 Less is a really good site for refurbished receivers. You can also look for a deal on new receivers at all the upcoming Black Friday sales.

If you find that your existing speakers aren't good enough, there are a few different ways of replacing them. Some go out and buy 5 new speakers all from the same company. That's not my approach. The most important speaker in a home theater setup is the center speaker. It handles 80+% of the sound mix for most content. As such, I'd focus much of your attention and speaker budget on the center speaker.

If you use the system primarily for listening to music, then the main speakers (the front right and left) are usually the most important. A lot of speaker companies have really good main speakers while the matching center is subpar or overpriced. They expect you to pay a premium for the center just because it looks the same as the front speakers. Don't fall into their trap!

There is a theory among audiophiles that if the speakers are not timbre-matched (same brand/model/etc.) that it will be grating when sound pans from one speaker to another. I've never noticed any problems with mismatched speaker brands and I do not buy into the theory. Get the best speaker for each spot, regardless of brand.

There are a lot of great, economical choices for speakers out there, especially if you're willing to buy from internet direct manufacturers. I've really liked my Chane A2.4 center (though it's frequently out of stock), but there are several others making good products, too, like Emotiva and Ascend Acoustics, just to name a couple.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Good info. I'd recommend setting up at least the front three speakers with the existing receiver and determining whether or not the audio is good enough. If it is, then you don't need new speakers. If it's not good enough, then you might need one or more new speakers.

As for a subwoofer - what type of movies/shows do you watch? If a high percentage of action-type shows, then you'll definitely want a good subwoofer. Even shows that aren't typical blockbuster action movies can benefit from a good subwoofer. For example, in the first season of Stranger Things, I noticed a big difference when my wife would disconnect the sub (because she hates good audio). On the other hand, if your viewing habits are mostly dialogue-intense rom-coms, then a sub might not add much.

Denon makes very respectable receivers. It might make sense to still use the one you've got, even though it isn't equipped with 4k and HDR. If you have enough inputs on the TV, then you can run the video sources directly to the TV and run an optical cable back to the receiver. That way, the receiver is only handling the audio.

If you prefer to run all the sources through the receiver (which is what I do) you can get a receiver compatible with 4k and HDR relatively inexpensively if you're willing to do refurbished. Accessories 4 Less is a really good site for refurbished receivers. You can also look for a deal on new receivers at all the upcoming Black Friday sales.

If you find that your existing speakers aren't good enough, there are a few different ways of replacing them. Some go out and buy 5 new speakers all from the same company. That's not my approach. The most important speaker in a home theater setup is the center speaker. It handles 80+% of the sound mix for most content. As such, I'd focus much of your attention and speaker budget on the center speaker.

If you use the system primarily for listening to music, then the main speakers (the front right and left) are usually the most important. A lot of speaker companies have really good main speakers while the matching center is subpar or overpriced. They expect you to pay a premium for the center just because it looks the same as the front speakers. Don't fall into their trap!

There is a theory among audiophiles that if the speakers are not timbre-matched (same brand/model/etc.) that it will be grating when sound pans from one speaker to another. I've never noticed any problems with mismatched speaker brands and I do not buy into the theory. Get the best speaker for each spot, regardless of brand.

There are a lot of great, economical choices for speakers out there, especially if you're willing to buy from internet direct manufacturers. I've really liked my Chane A2.4 center (though it's frequently out of stock), but there are several others making good products, too, like Emotiva and Ascend Acoustics, just to name a couple.

Thanks. This is very helpful. I don't watch a ton of action movies, but it is nice to have good sound when I do. I think it makes more sense to invest in a new receiver now and work on upgrading the speakers over time than spending money on a soundbar. Any suggestions on a good sub?

Thanks. This is very helpful. I don't watch a ton of action movies, but it is nice to have good sound when I do. I think it makes more sense to invest in a new receiver now and work on upgrading the speakers over time than spending money on a soundbar. Any suggestions on a good sub?
    I like my SVS SB12-NSD. It's a sealed 12-inch sub. SVS makes some really good subs. They have a customer bill of rights that includes not only free shipping but also a free in-home trial and free return shipping if you decide not to buy them. Of course, someone has to pay for all that free stuff, so the pricing tends to be a little bit higher on most SVS subs relative to other internet direct sellers. The SB12-NSD represents a value proposition, but it's actually a discontinued model that they've brought back for Black Friday each of the last few years. Not sure if they're offering it again this year.

Some other well-respected sub manufacturers include HSU, Rhythmic, and JTR (more or less in order of increasing price points). For inexpensive subs, Monoprice came out with a line a year or two ago that has been really well received. I've also seen that Chane did a small run of subs recently - not sure if any are still in stock.

If you want maximum sub volume, you're probably better off with a ported sub, but they do tend to be quite a bit bigger and, because they require more materials, more expensive. I went with sealed and haven't regretted it.

The real audio nerds will say that it's better to have 2 subs (preferably matching). Since the deep notes played by subs have such big sound waves, only one sub can leave dead spots in the room. Having 2 (or more) subs in the system helps even out the bass to reduce the chance of dead spots in the room. Multiple subs also increase the total potential volume. I just have a single sub and haven't noticed a problem.

Last edited by Pelado; 11-12-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Make sure to update us on what you get and how you like it.
    - Goatnapper'96