Soundbars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
    Maybe I'm just cheap, but I slapped on a pair of 10w computer speakers and just plugged them into the TV.
    What's cheap about plugging in some low-wattage powered computer speakers into your $1000 70" TV? Just turn it up enough to drown out the background hiss and you're golden.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
      Maybe I'm just cheap, but I slapped on a pair of 10w computer speakers and just plugged them into the TV. The TV itself controls the level of the sound, while the tinny speakers that are in the TV go silent. Works well for my purposes. Can even mount them to the wall.
      They are better that what's in the TV so nice work.

The flaw is my soundbar does a form of surround. It's not the best but it's much better than a pair of computer speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        What's cheap about plugging in some low-wattage powered computer speakers into your $1000 70" TV? Just turn it up enough to drown out the background hiss and you're golden.
        What gauge of wire do you use on your 7.1 surround sound system?
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

you hit both points on your signature quote with this response. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            What gauge of wire do you use on your 7.1 surround sound system?
            Can't remember. I've had the speaker wire (and the speakers) since we lived in Utahr. Here's a pic:

outdoor_7_1.jpg

Looks like 16 gauge.

Interior media rooms were pre-wired. No idea about those.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Has anyone tried Sonos? I like the concept of the system, the price not so much.

Comment

My kids aren't too dumb to operate a sound system... a task that basically consists of two things: 1) turning the power to the receiver on, and 2) selecting the appropriate A/V input.
                You're old, I have young kids. There's a shitload of other buttons they press that screw everything up.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

This idea of having to have the "full cinema sound experience" everytime you sit down to watch the tube is amusing. The difference between watching on a bigger screen vs the pre HD tube tvs, huge. The difference in sound, who gives a shit, really.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    Has anyone tried Sonos? I like the concept of the system, the price not so much.
                    We have a Sonos Play 1. My wife bought it with the intent of it being piece one of a full system. We've yet to add to it yet. So it migrates a bit around the house for music. The sound is good but the app isn't awesome. What would be great would be to run my Echo Dot through it for music but unfortunately there's no way to plug an audio cord into the Sonos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                      We have a Sonos Play 1. My wife bought it with the intent of it being piece one of a full system. We've yet to add to it yet. So it migrates a bit around the house for music. The sound is good but the app isn't awesome. What would be great would be to run my Echo Dot through it for music but unfortunately there's no way to plug an audio cord into the Sonos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                        You should probably just sell the thing and get a good quality portable Bluetooth speaker with a line-in 3.5mm input. If you aren't doing multi-room with Sonos, then there really isn't much of a point. Last year I bought one of these, and it is absolutely brilliant:

$300, but worth every cent. Stunning sound, great battery life (8+ hours), and extremely well built; it will last 20+ years, easily. Invest wisely.

Thanks for the info.
                        Like I said above, if you are just getting a Sonos soundbar for your TV and not taking advantage of Sonos' multi-room features, then you are wasting your money. I've set up a Sonos system for a friend. The system included the "Bridge" (which I think is now called the "Boost") and five "Connect" modules (@ $350 per!). He utilized the existing built-in speakers that he had in five rooms of his home; he didn't buy any Sonos speakers. However, he certainly could expand the system (possibly outdoors), using additional Sonos speakers should he ever want to do it. It is a very well designed system.

The iOS interface app is pretty slick. It allows anyone that has been authorized (wife, kids, etc) to play whatever they want - streaming or local to the device or one of the house sources (e.g. the TV audio) - and select a room (or rooms) with just a tap of the finger. Now if the sound followed you automagically as you walked from room to room, then that would be something... but as it is, it is an expensive system just so your teenager can listen to her own music in the conservatory while you repose with your brandy and cigar in the den while listening to something else.

Comment

You should probably just sell the thing and get a good quality portable Bluetooth speaker with a line-in 3.5mm input. If you aren't doing multi-room with Sonos, then there really isn't much of a point. Last year I bought one of these, and it is absolutely brilliant:

$300, but worth every cent. Stunning sound, great battery life (8+ hours), and extremely well built; it will last 20+ years, easily. Invest wisely.

Like I said above, if you are just getting a Sonos soundbar for your TV and not taking advantage of Sonos' multi-room features, then you are wasting your money. I've set up a Sonos system for a friend. The system included the "Bridge" (which I think is now called the "Boost") and five "Connect" modules (@ $350 per!). He utilized the existing built-in speakers that he had in five rooms of his home; he didn't buy any Sonos speakers. However, he certainly could expand the system (possibly outdoors), using additional Sonos speakers should he ever want to do it. It is a very well designed system.

The iOS interface app is pretty slick. It allows anyone that has been authorized (wife, kids, etc) to play whatever they want - streaming or local to the device or one of the house sources (e.g. the TV audio) - and select a room (or rooms) with just a tap of the finger. Now if the sound followed you automagically as you walked from room to room, then that would be something... but as it is, it is an expensive system just so your teenager can listen to her own music in the conservatory while you repose with your brandy and cigar in the den while listening to something else.
                          I wasn't interested in Sonos for a soundbar (regardless of the thread I'm posting in). I liked the idea of having different music throughout the house. I don't like the cost. Do you have any other (cheaper!) recommendations?

Comment

I wasn't interested in Sonos for a soundbar (regardless of the thread I'm posting in). I liked the idea of having different music throughout the house. I don't like the cost. Do you have any other (cheaper!) recommendations?
                            Without knowing more about your home, it would be difficult to give you a satisfactory answer. Sorry. I am available for dinner for most weekends in January if you want to discuss this in person. MG will pick the place (per usual).

Comment

we got a sonos 3 for the kitchen. pretty impressive for the size.
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I have the Sonos Soundbar, sub and two play 1's for the surrounds in my living room. Absolutely love it. It is good when watching normal TV and movies on DirecTV, but it is even better when watching Blu-ray discs or other movies which have the full Dolby Digital decoding. It is great for music as well. I'll eventually expand the system to the master bedroom, but the house is small enough that the speakers in the living room fill the house with sound as is.
                                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Working...
                                X