Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 - Meet the new boss; same as the old boss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My laptop, which is five years old, updated last Thursday. Like I'd hoped, Windows 10 appears to have papered over all the garbage that had built up in the OS over the last 2 years+ since I replaced the hard drive. It's running like it's new.

It's either that, or the fact that I rid the computer of flash player altogether. What a horrible program/plugin that is. I would turn on the task manager and discover the thing was gobbling up close to a gb of RAM.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
      a gb of RAM.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        Using Microsoft Edge browser on Windows 10 and it feels significantly lighter and faster. But I'm a Microsoft shill, so take it fwiw.
        I take this back.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          I take this back.
          How bad is it in your estimation? Chrome is still strong for me, as is Firefox.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

After getting rid of all the useless new "features" I can, Windows 10 seems very much like Windows 7, only slower and more spammy. This is disappointing as I only upgraded to take advantage of the supposed performance improvements. Maybe things will shake out eventually. In the meantime, I have a few apps I can't uninstall, including "Xbox", which it won't tell me what it is and I can't imagine what use it could have.

I'm struggling to understand why Microsoft thinks I want a separate "app" for news, weather, sports, etc. Can anyone explain why any of them is better than a bookmark? Maybe it's just another holdover from the mobile-centric interface where apps are a thing?

Also, why is Microsoft still so anti-widget? I thought all this live tile nonsense might actually have one purpose at least, but since I have to open the start menu to check the weather, that also becomes more efficient as a browser bookmark. Of all the compromises to serve the mobile market, homepage (desktop) widgets might have been the only benefit, if they worked.

Comment

I have a client who buys and sells old computer equipment in bulk. Most of the stuff is junk, but still usable in developing countries.

Two weeks they got their hands on some high-end laptops that are only a year old. It's the only time they've ever come.across something like this. Judging by the number of machines and the models, a business must have been liquidated somewhere and they had a bunch of these. All the same make and model and well over 100 of them. They're placing solid state drives in them and selling them as refurbished for a very nice profit. I'm doing some work on trade so I acquired one.

The laptop is nice and they restore it to Windows 8.1. The Windows 10 prompt came up and I opted to upgrade because the upgrade was pretty flawless on my other computers.

Big mistake. Apparently Windows 10 didn't agree with my graphics driver and the screen flickered as if Windows Explorer was repeatedly crashing and restarting. Effing Microsoft.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                I have a client who buys and sells old computer equipment in bulk. Most of the stuff is junk, but still usable in developing countries.

Two weeks they got their hands on some high-end laptops that are only a year old. It's the only time they've ever come.across something like this. Judging by the number of machines and the models, a business must have been liquidated somewhere and they had a bunch of these. All the same make and model and well over 100 of them. They're placing solid state drives in them and selling them as refurbished for a very nice profit. I'm doing some work on trade so I acquired one.

The laptop is nice and they restore it to Windows 8.1. The Windows 10 prompt came up and I opted to upgrade because the upgrade was pretty flawless on my other computers.

Big mistake. Apparently Windows 10 didn't agree with my graphics driver and the screen flickered as if Windows Explorer was repeatedly crashing and restarting. Effing Microsoft.
                yeah, it's a known problem with generic drivers
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

3 months in and I'm not impressed. Windows 7 will probably be the high water mark for operating systems, as everything else in the future will be built to bombard you with promotional queries.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                  -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

This thread is hilarious.
                    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

I rolled the laptop back to 8.1. I'll wait for the first major service pack (well, the next one at least, they probably already released one). MS had a history of releasing a great OS after a shitty one, but Windows 10 seems to be breaking that mold. The 8.1 laptop does a remote desktop connection with the Windows 10 desktop, so I'm fine for right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X