X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    Brilliant.
    Life imitates art:

Study finds Russian trolls amplified anti-vaccine debate with misinformantion

Russian trolls amplified the anti-vaccination debate on Twitter by weighing more heavily into the topic than normal users, a George Washington University study discovered.

Led by professor David Broniatowski, the study compared the number of vaccine-related tweets coming from bot accounts, Russian trolls, and real Twitter users between July 2014 and September 2017.

“Compared with average users, Russian trolls, sophisticated bots, and ‘content polluters’ tweeted about vaccination at higher rates,” the study found. “Whereas content polluters posted more anti-vaccine content, Russian trolls amplified both sides.”

The study further warns that the spread of anti-vaccine misinformation by “accounts masquerading as legitimate users” erodes the public consensus on the effectiveness of vaccination.

News of the study comes as the U.S. faces the worst measles outbreak in 25 years. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said Thursday that 940 known cases of measles have been reported so far this year.

“This is the greatest number of cases reported in the U.S. since 1994 and since measles was declared eliminated in 2000,” the CDC said.

Numerous tech companies have responded to the outbreak by clamping down on anti-vaccination rhetoric.

YouTube has also taken steps to make anti-vaccination content less prominent on its platform and has banned ads from being run on such videos.

https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/stud...-anti-vaccine/

Comment

Et tu Jessica Biel?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jessic...ccination-bill

“A Hollywood celebrity and the head of an environmental organization should not have credibility on an issue about how to regulate the medical profession, when an overwhelming number of medical professionals support this bill,” Russin said. “It’s the Jenny McCarthy show all over again.”

Comment

Frank, your people are doing this terrible thing to civilization.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/n...gtype=Homepage
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Frank, your people are doing this terrible thing to civilization.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/n...gtype=Homepage
          My people? Lol. How about your right wing conspiritard buddies who have risen in prominence amongst the right or the wackadoodle Cleon Skousen-reading home schooling crowd? Trump himself mentioned he saw vaccines harm babies and pondered starting a committee to look into the dangers of them.
          This is a dangerous delusion shared by the ignorant and overconfident people found throughout the political spectrum.

Comment

Board guidance wanted... I'm thinking about signing up for Pfizer's RSV (respiratory syncytial virus, but you knew that) vaccination study. One has to be over 60, healthy, with no significant side effects from other vaccines. I'm very pro-vaccination, and yet i'm slightly hesitant for purely selfish reasons (possible unknown side effects, not to mention that despite my advancing years, I'm in relatively excellent health and the current absence of an RSV vaccine likely won't affect me much). If you satisfied the study's criteria, would you sign up? Why or why not?

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Board guidance wanted... I'm thinking about signing up for Pfizer's RSV (respiratory syncytial virus, but you knew that) vaccination study. One has to be over 60, healthy, with no significant side effects from other vaccines. I'm very pro-vaccination, and yet i'm slightly hesitant for purely selfish reasons (possible unknown side effects, not to mention that despite my advancing years, I'm in relatively excellent health and the current absence of an RSV vaccine likely won't affect me much). If you satisfied the study's criteria, would you sign up? Why or why not?
              Hey - if you need the crash dummy money - I can spot you in a couple of months.

Yes - I'm in for two shots already - I'm all in.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

and RSV vaccine would be great. There are two members of my ward in the hospital with RSV right now. One was 4 years old, the other 74.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Pro - very selfless act of time and health especially if you have young grandchildren who may benefit from a potential RSV vaccination

Con - you could catch the gay autism RSV.
                  Last edited by Sullyute; 11-04-2021, 12:34 PM.
                  "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post

Pro - very selfless act of time and health especially if you have young grandchildren who may benefit from a potential RSV vaccination

Con - you could catch the gay autism RSV.
                    Mrs. PAC thinks any side effects will be an upgrade. I've completed the screening and I'm in, but because I'm getting my Moderna chaser Monday I have to wait until the end of the month to get my shot. Keep an eye out for any changes in my posting style. But, again, probably an upgrade.

Comment

My youngest should be getting inoculated next week. Hooray

Comment

I got my flu shot and my 2nd COVID booster on Monday. I'm glad that I don't have to get a vaccine for cholera, like these poor folks in Malawi are having to do. The government needs another $13 million to cover the costs; maybe the Gates Foundation will step up. https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          I got my flu shot and my 2nd COVID booster on Monday. I'm glad that I don't have to get a vaccine for cholera, like these poor folks in Malawi are having to do. The government needs another $13 million to cover the costs; maybe the Gates Foundation will step up. https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share
                          Any side effects? My first covid vaccinations and booster resulted in flu-like symptoms from about hours 12-36 afterwards. I want to get these done before a trip in November, but am not sure I can find a free day I can use to deal with side effects.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

Any side effects? My first covid vaccinations and booster resulted in flu-like symptoms from about hours 12-36 afterwards. I want to get these done before a trip in November, but am not sure I can find a free day I can use to deal with side effects.
                            This has been the easiest one so far. The only thing I've noticed is major injection-site soreness, kinda like an MMR for soreness. With the other COVID shots, I had general achiness and a low-grade fever. My mom got blood clots in her lungs after her first booster and her doctors told her to not get anymore without discussing it with them first. So, I've wondered if my body would react as hers did, but no. So far, so good.
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Just got double vaxxed with influenza and COVID booster. I might be playing with fire, as we are going to Seattle tomorrow to see New Order and Pet Shop Boys. I haven’t had terrible reactions to the previous ones. Here’s hoping it stays that way
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                                Just got double vaxxed with influenza and COVID booster. I might be playing with fire, as we are going to Seattle tomorrow to see New Order and Pet Shop Boys. I haven’t had terrible reactions to the previous ones. Here’s hoping it stays that way
                                The 1980s called and they want their foreign synth bands back.

Comment

Working...
                                X