Stop worry about slamming those protein shakes after your workout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop worry about slamming those protein shakes after your workout

This is just for lifting (I have no idea about for endurance athletes). It's pretty common practice for lifters to time protein intake around workouts (the so-called anabolic window around workouts). mainly leads to pre and post workout protein intake. Unfortunately, it doesn't look the empirical evidence supports the practice. There a could be a benefit, but it's small. Here is a reasonable meta-study (of like 15 protein timing experiments):

The effect of protein timing on muscle strength and hypertrophy: a meta-analysis.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24299050

First, no evidence that it increases strength (notice how the overall is insignificant):

Second, these experiments did show an increase in muscle size (hypertrophy):

However, there is a problem. Many of the experiment didn't control for the fact that treatment group (doin protein timing) also increased overall protein intake. If you control for overall protein intake the effect is no longer significant:

High protein intake helps with muscle hypertrophy for lifters (we know this from other studies), but the timing of the protein around workouts doesn't appear to be very important.
    Last edited by pelagius; 06-08-2015, 09:22 AM.

Ha! Take that, bro science!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      Ha! Take that, bro science!

Comment

P, does this mean no more worrying about protein shake or something similar before bed, as well?
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Interesting. I had the same question as DDD. Also wondering what the current recommendation is for daily protein intake. Last I read it was .8-1.5 g/kg body weight.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
            Interesting. I had the same question as DDD. Also wondering what the current recommendation is for daily protein intake. Last I read it was .8-1.5 g/kg body weight.
            I'm gonna be pissed if I've been walking around with keto breath for no reason.

Comment

P, does this mean no more worrying about protein shake or something similar before bed, as well?
              I think this study only relates to protein intake right after a workout as a means to increase assimilation. Apparently all this business about the aminos and what not is insignificant. The protein before bed is supposed to allow your body to metabolize body fat while you sleep, not lean muscle, since it allegedly won't feed off of lean muscle while protein is being assimilated. That's what I heard, anyway.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Most advice I've read for endurance athletes is to consume protein within 30 minutes after a workout. I've been doing this mostly because if I don't I feel like crap the test of the day. Maybe I've just trained my body to expect the protein buzz after a 3+ hour ride
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I don't take any protein shakes, aminos or any other supps and I am confident I can throw around more weight than anyone on this board. So yeah P-lag is right.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    I don't take any protein shakes, aminos or any other supps and I am confident I can throw around more weight than anyone on this board. So yeah P-lag is right.
                    Fat boy strength is real.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      Fat boy strength is real.
                      so is super secret inside info on group me.
                      *Banned*

Comment

I don't know. I've never really looked at the evidence for or against that. I do agree with you that these overall results should make you more skeptical of the effectiveness of before bed protein because these results are most consistent with the "total protein intake matters" not timing. If I see a good meta-study of that issue I will do a write-up.

One thing to keep in mind is that the literature or articles that people tend to cite on fitness sites to support these kind of things often have really poor experimental design. In fact, I think average experimental design in this literature is generally poor.
                        Last edited by pelagius; 06-08-2015, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Well, these studies do support the idea that boosting total protein intake generally increases muscle hypertrophy (probably by elevating protein synthesis throughout the day). That said, I think there is evidence that 1.8g/kg is the upper limit of what might be beneficial.
                          Last edited by pelagius; 06-08-2015, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Here is a reasonable little summary article:

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-...-bodybuilders/

Comment

Working...
                            X