Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: This (not) Bud's for you old_gregg: the official craft beer thread.

Surfah posted this in another thread, but it needs to be mentioned here:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...breast-cancer/

Alcohol is a strong carcinogen. All that crap about moderate usage being good for you? Junk science funded by the alcohol industry.

Funk, I have a delicious DMD with your name on it. Time to get on the wagon, buddy!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Alcohol is a strong carcinogen. All that crap about moderate usage being good for you? Junk science funded by the alcohol industry.

Funk, I have a delicious DMD with your name on it. Time to get on the wagon, buddy!
    If I die earlier because of craft beer, it will be a life well lived.

Also, that DMD is certainly full of carcinogens as well. I am just going to drink myself into an earlier grave with something that tastes better.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Also one other thing to add, beer/alcohol and DMD are not substitutes. I'm not going to start my morning with a refreshing beer. I'm going to start my morning with a cup of coffee. Coffee and DMD are substitutes.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Also one other thing to add, beer/alcohol and DMD are not substitutes. I'm not going to start my morning with a refreshing beer. I'm going to start my morning with a cup of coffee. Coffee and DMD are substitutes.
    Some people even drink DMD during non-morning hours.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

We've already determined that Coffee has carcinogens too.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...ee#post1354006

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Some people even drink DMD during non-morning hours.
    Just like some of us supplement our morning coffee with an afternoon pick me up.
    --SeattleUte

Just like some of us supplement our morning coffee with an afternoon pick me up.
    I didn't know you were a day-drinker.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

If I die earlier because of craft beer, it will be a life well lived.

Also, that DMD is certainly full of carcinogens as well. I am just going to drink myself into an earlier grave with something that tastes better.
    No, it is much healthier than alcohol. By a mile.

Come on, man. Get on the wagon!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Most of the data points to mild-moderate alcohol consumption having a neutral effect on overall health. There may be some cardioprotective effect, but the therapeutic window for that is pretty narrow before the bad effects kick in.

Heavy alcohol consumption is most strongly correlated with liver, head and neck, and esophageal cancer. Other cancers are also correlated, but only modestly. Again, we are talking about heavy alcohol consumption.

As long as MF, FS, and I keep our craft beer habit to ~1 beer a day, any cancer we may or may not get will be hard to pin on alcohol. But we will need to watch the paunch.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    We've already determined that Coffee has carcinogens too.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...ee#post1354006
    It's the tannic acid, amirite Talmage?

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Most of the data points to mild-moderate alcohol consumption having a neutral effect on overall health. There may be some cardioprotective effect, but the therapeutic window for that is pretty narrow before the bad effects kick in.

Heavy alcohol consumption is most strongly correlated with liver, head and neck, and esophageal cancer. Other cancers are also correlated, but only modestly. Again, we are talking about heavy alcohol consumption.

As long as MF, FS, and I keep our craft beer habit to ~1 beer a day, any cancer we may or may not get will be hard to pin on alcohol. But we will need to watch the paunch.

I'm keeping that habit to ~1 beer a day, so it is all good.
    --SeattleUte

Couldn't help but think of Funk when I watched this episode of Atlanta last night.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Couldn't help but think of Funk when I watched this episode of Atlanta last night.

Awesome GoT reference.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

2 Row Brewing now makes a Sour IPA and it is delicious.

It is not on tap though. Lousy Utah liquor laws.

I wish that I could ask and enjoy around town what IPAs are on tap.
    --SeattleUte

Interesting on the sour IPA. I've never had that before. My favorite hazy IPA right now is Relax by Offshoot (subsidiary of The Bruery) Its so juicy and refreshing.

Also I spent some time in NorCal this summer and Fieldwork has some really good stuff Garden of Weeden IPA in particular. Just a heads up.
    Last edited by Flystripper; 08-14-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Interesting on the sour IPA. I've never had that before. My favorite hazy IPA right now is Relax by Offshoot (subsidiary of The Bruery) Its so juicy and refreshing.

Also I spent some time in NorCal this summer and Fieldwork has some really good stuff Garden of Weeden IPA in particular. Just a heads up.
    Seriously, the NE IPA is the best thing that has happened in craft brewing in a long time.

I've also really loved the sour IPA thing, but I've actually only seen them from 2 breweries both local Utah breweries.
    --SeattleUte

Dogfish Head finally is in the Utah market.
    --SeattleUte

My favorite hazy IPA right now is Relax by Offshoot (subsidiary of The Bruery) Its so juicy and refreshing.
    The hazy IPA craze is in full force in Central Oregon. Pretty much every brewery here has an offering. Even my diehard home brewer friend has migrated from the hoppier beers to hazy. The first time I tried one I wasn't too impressed. But then I tried Deschutes Brewery's Fresh Haze and I caught the vision. I didn't realize until recently that this is a New England style of IPA. I've only had Heady Topper once a few years ago, so I can't compare. But I'm really liking the haze.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    The hazy IPA craze is in full force in Central Oregon. Pretty much every brewery here has an offering. Even my diehard home brewer friend has migrated from the hoppier beers to hazy. The first time I tried one I wasn't too impressed. But then I tried Deschutes Brewery's Fresh Haze and I caught the vision. I didn't realize until recently that this is a New England style of IPA. I've only had Heady Topper once a few years ago, so I can't compare. But I'm really liking the haze.
    It seems like this will take hold and then be replaced by a Brut IPA craze. I'm enjoying the haze and hope that it sticks long term. My favorite style right now.
    --SeattleUte

It seems like this will take hold and then be replaced by a Brut IPA craze. I'm enjoying the haze and hope that it sticks long term. My favorite style right now.
    Love the haze, Offshoot - Relax is awesome and Modern Times - Space Ways are the best I have had in SoCal.

Love the haze, Offshoot - Relax is awesome and Modern Times - Space Ways are the best I have had in SoCal.
    Feelin Hazy by 2 Row Brewing is my go to for NE Style IPAs.
    --SeattleUte

I imagine the only breweries that distribute to your guys' areas are Deschutes Brewery and 10 Barrel; possibly Good Life. If you see Secret Stash and Fresh Haze IPA in your parts, I can recommend them.

Trying my first full weight brut IPA. I don't quite get the buzz. Give me haze.
    --SeattleUte

Trying my first full weight brut IPA. I don't quite get the buzz. Give me haze.
    With the brut IPA being quite mediocre, I kind of had to drink the Double NE IPA. Now I'm a bit tipsy.
    --SeattleUte

Lower alcohol content (usually lower than 5%). You can have a few in a drinking session and not be blotto.
    This is hilarious.

I can't keep up with the Utah beer scene anymore. I think there are now 4-5 breweries that have opened that I haven't tried anything from. Still haven't been to Strap Tank and it has been open for years. I haven't tried anything from Saltfire, T.F. Brewing, Policy Kings, Toasted Barrel. There are probably some that I didn't mention that are now open.

I certainly can't keep up with the new releases even from breweries that I like. I'm sure that Shades has released some good new stuff, but I haven't tried any of it. I think the last new beer from Shades that I had was the cherry sour.

I have continued to keep up with 2 Row though. Constant Haze, well that is an absolutely amazing NE IPA. It is a triple and comes in at 10.1 ABV. Even at that weight, it drinks as easy as a session beer. It is damn good.
    --SeattleUte

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    This is hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Row Raspberry Sticks is a meh. With few exceptions, I just don't get the appeal of stouts anymore. I get the appeal of a good milk stout.
    --SeattleUte