The Sports Officials Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I did three football games over the weekend and I'm exhausted. Two of them were varsity though so I'm happy with my progress.

Football officials: what specific steps do you take to keep your sidelines clear when you are on the wings? I feel like we have let the coaches get into very bad habits in the city because we always tell them to get back but never do anything about it. I typically don't have problems with players. The situation is difficult on guys like me who want to clean it up because opinions on how to handle it vary wildly depending on which white hat is leading your crew. It varies from "don't move out of their way; knock their ass down if they are in your space and flag them for 15 yards for sideline interference" to "give them several verbal warnings before throwing the flag for a sideline warning...then several more before you penalize them yardage".

I think intentionally running into someone is a dick move, but I do want them to get back as it's a safety issue. We move pretty fast on long yardage plays and I could put myself and a coach in the hospital if we have a blindside collision. I'm starting to think I will continue my verbal warnings between plays, but the first time I have to warn someone during a play or run around them, I will throw the sideline warning flag. Every time after that will be an unsportsmanlike conduct foul per the rule book (5 yards, then 15 yards for each subsequent). I hate to be a hard ass but on some issues coaches only understand penalty flags. Thoughts?
    This is truly the only thing that works. The warning nips it in the bud quick in my experience. No coach want to cost his team field position. If you ask and ask and ask, and nohting changes, throw the flag.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I did three football games over the weekend and I'm exhausted. Two of them were varsity though so I'm happy with my progress.

Football officials: what specific steps do you take to keep your sidelines clear when you are on the wings? I feel like we have let the coaches get into very bad habits in the city because we always tell them to get back but never do anything about it. I typically don't have problems with players. The situation is difficult on guys like me who want to clean it up because opinions on how to handle it vary wildly depending on which white hat is leading your crew. It varies from "don't move out of their way; knock their ass down if they are in your space and flag them for 15 yards for sideline interference" to "give them several verbal warnings before throwing the flag for a sideline warning...then several more before you penalize them yardage".

I think intentionally running into someone is a dick move, but I do want them to get back as it's a safety issue. We move pretty fast on long yardage plays and I could put myself and a coach in the hospital if we have a blindside collision. I'm starting to think I will continue my verbal warnings between plays, but the first time I have to warn someone during a play or run around them, I will throw the sideline warning flag. Every time after that will be an unsportsmanlike conduct foul per the rule book (5 yards, then 15 yards for each subsequent). I hate to be a hard ass but on some issues coaches only understand penalty flags. Thoughts?
      You specifically asked for my input since I was an official at a stake basketball game once, so I say: you should come out in full pads and helmet and plow into the coaches, Terry Tate office linebacker style.

edit: oops, I guess you only asked for advice from "football officials" so disregard.
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

The Sideline Warning flag is your friend. If you're going to throw it do it early as it's not as effective later in the game.

In pregame the Head Linesman and Line Judge should find the head coach and make sure an assistant is assigned to keep the players and the other coaches where they belong. That way you always have someone to go to when you need assistance.

Don't discount running someone over although it should be a last resort. My very first varsity game was at a rural yet wealthy high school. Their coaches, one in particular who looked particularly yewtish, would not keep out of my way. I got caught in pass coverage and he popped up right in front of me at the wrong time. It was either him or me so I plowed him. He flew about five yards and landed on his ass. I immediately dropped the flag as I went on with the play. He got up screaming bloody murder at me. It continued as the penalty was marched off. I then turned and told him if he doesn't want to get run over to make sure he was where he was supposed to be and not in my way. The head coach then turned on the assistant and told him to keep his ass in the player's box. I never had a problem after that. I got excellent grades for the game.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to drop that warning flag early, regardless of what the white hat may think. I'll make a point of going over it in my next pregame conference.

I also won't discount the Terry Tate suggestion by LS, although I will admit it is unlikely.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to drop that warning flag early, regardless of what the white hat may think. I'll make a point of going over it in my next pregame conference.

I also won't discount the Terry Tate suggestion by LS, although I will admit it is unlikely.
            There's one thing I left out. Back then I was built like a middle linebacker (now I'm more rotund). I could run over a guy without actually looking like that's what I meant to do it. I don't recommend getting low and putting your shoulder into the coach because that looks bad.

Comment

Why coaching a game in Arco Idaho one of the officials had 49 years experience. Long time to do it. From Burley area there is a basketball referee that is 81 started reffing at 47, will go tell he dies. Mostly jv ref. I donkt know if he still does but was reffing soccer. Talk about longevity in getting yelled at.

Comment

Originally posted by grapevine View Post
                Why coaching a game in Arco Idaho one of the officials had 49 years experience. Long time to do it. From Burley area there is a basketball referee that is 81 started reffing at 47, will go tell he dies. Mostly jv ref. I donkt know if he still does but was reffing soccer. Talk about longevity in getting yelled at.
                That's a long time to officiate but if they enjoy it more power to them.

Comment

IMG_20161010_093930752.jpg

Saw this in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and thought of you, Omaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    [ATTACH]7385[/ATTACH]

I have those shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Would love to do a Super Bowl, but that's like saying I would love to play in the NFL. Nearly impossible to make the cut. The HL for Super Bowl 50 came up through my association so he's everyone's idol here. He comes back to the dinner every year and speaks.

Season is going well. I have worked a varsity game almost every week, so I'm satisfied with that progress in my second year. Had my first off-field fan harassment on Saturday. It was a close game between the two top teams in the division. The undefeated team lost to the one-loss team 20-14. They were at midfield trying to drive for the winning score and ran out of time. First the coach told his players not to leave the field and was going ballistic over the clock management. Then a mother followed me up the ramp to the dressing room saying some nonsense about how I threw my flag but nothing was marked off and I don't know what I'm doing (I believe the penalties she was talking about were declined but she was too stupid to notice). I just tipped my cap and told her to have a nice day.

Comment

Any of you officials (football in particular) have a watch that has treated you well? I'm LJ in my next two games and my current watches aren't the best. I have a standard Ironman and then I had this one last year:

41fbsPv0sgL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Spor...=referee+watch

The big display and buttons were nice, but setting the clock was a little awkward, especially if corrections had to be made. Also, the battery died before the season was out. In reading on some forums, apparently Reebok made a watch for NFL officials a few years back that looks awesome. It claims to be easy to adjust the clock up or down with +/- buttons when the timer is stopped. Reviews are all very good but it is out of production.

ReebokWatch2010-L.jpg

https://www.refereescall.com/proddetail.php?prod=FB95

Anyone know of a model that has similar functionality to the NFL Reebok one? I'm coming up empty.

Comment

This is the one I use, or was given a month ago.

http://scoresports.com/sport-watch-no-750.html

It does a nice countdown, with notifications at 3, 2 and 1 minute left, but adding time in would be a huge pain.

It will be interesting to see how well it works for night games. Been only using it during the day thus far.

Comment

So I found a watch similar to the NFL Reebok one:

2015_game_timer_1.jpg

http://nfwonline.com/store/digital-officials-watch.html

I guess they supply this watch to the NFL officials now. I used it for the first time on Saturday. I love it. Start/stop button is large and easy to find but sunken in so you won't accidentally start or stop the clock. Time corrections are a piece of cake. Just hold down the set button for 1-2 seconds when the clock is stopped and use the +/- buttons. Holding them down will cycle the seconds up and down very quickly while one press will add or subtract one second. It was a rainy day on Saturday and I had no problem with it operating or seeing the display clearly. I highly recommend it.

Also in my Saturday game I had a coaching staff on my sideline that didn't want to get out of my way despite constantly asking and warning. I hit them with a quick sideline warning on the second possession the first time I had to physically run around one of them. That kept them at bay for a while but then I brushed an assistant as I tried to get around him near the end of the 1st quarter. The 15 yard sideline interference penalty got their attention and I had zero issues the rest of the game. Thanks to JIC and Shaka for the good advice.

Comment

So I found a watch similar to the NFL Reebok one:

[ATTACH]7438[/ATTACH]

http://nfwonline.com/store/digital-officials-watch.html

I guess they supply this watch to the NFL officials now. I used it for the first time on Saturday. I love it. Start/stop button is large and easy to find but sunken in so you won't accidentally start or stop the clock. Time corrections are a piece of cake. Just hold down the set button for 1-2 seconds when the clock is stopped and use the +/- buttons. Holding them down will cycle the seconds up and down very quickly while one press will add or subtract one second. It was a rainy day on Saturday and I had no problem with it operating or seeing the display clearly. I highly recommend it.

Also in my Saturday game I had a coaching staff on my sideline that didn't want to get out of my way despite constantly asking and warning. I hit them with a quick sideline warning on the second possession the first time I had to physically run around one of them. That kept them at bay for a while but then I brushed an assistant as I tried to get around him near the end of the 1st quarter. The 15 yard sideline interference penalty got their attention and I had zero issues the rest of the game. Thanks to JIC and Shaka for the good advice.
                              Good man!

Looks like a sweet watch. I had to have a timer because I'd work as a back judge quite a bit and kept the play clock. I finally found a watch that would vibrate on my wrist when the play clock expired.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                Good man!

Looks like a sweet watch. I had to have a timer because I'd work as a back judge quite a bit and kept the play clock. I finally found a watch that would vibrate on my wrist when the play clock expired.
                                We've got it a bit rough in NYC. Four man crews. White hat keeps play clock. LJ keeps game clock (rarely is there both a functioning scoreboard and an operator that knows what he's doing). Friday Night Lights it is not, but there are still some pretty good teams. We do go to 5 and 6 man crews as well as paid chain crews and clock operators for the playoffs, so at least there's that.
                                Last edited by Omaha 680; 10-24-2016, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X