The Sports Officials Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
    Quit trying to influence game officials!
    Hey, I’m just curious!
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      My first playoff game in Utah today. I'm excited and the weather could not be better.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      Did you move back? I totally missed that.
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
        Did you move back? I totally missed that.
        I did in July. I havent make a lot of noise about it. I miss the work I was doing but it was a great move overall for us.

Football season has been great here. Not the level of what I remember growing up in Nebraska, but much more what HS football should be. NYC just didnt care a lot about it.

Comment

I did in July. I havent make a lot of noise about it. I miss the work I was doing but it was a great move overall for us.

Football season has been great here. Not the level of what I remember growing up in Nebraska, but much more what HS football should be. NYC just didnt care a lot about it.

Nice. Welcome back.
          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...mpression=true

Nazareth parent accused of wearing his referee uniform, swaying IHSA football playoff game against Simeon
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...mpression=true

Nazareth parent accused of wearing his referee uniform, swaying IHSA football playoff game against Simeon
              Wow. Crazy story.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• That is nuts. If true, I would expect that parent to never officiate again. It would have been nice to hear examples of specific calls they claim were influenced by him. But obviously the fact that he was st field level consulting with the other officials is improper, first because he wasnt assigned to the game and second because he would never be assigned to officiate a game his son was playing in.

Comment

• this is great.

“I did what was needed to make sure Naz won,”
                  lol - i don't think anybody is disputing that. kinda the crux of the issue, in fact.

“I didn’t make one bad call. I made sure the best team won.”
                  this guy. hysterical.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• I did 4 JC games again this year for soccer. Those were fun and fairly easy.

High school season started last week. I have shied away from being the center ref, mainly because I don't feel like I see everything that I would want to. Also when I gt out there I seem to develop face blindness. I'll think, that was a hard tackle, ok, keep that in mind and that is a yellow if I see that again, and then 10 minutes later I see something that is iffy and I think wait... is that the same white kid with brown hair that did that before? Well I'll talk to this one again.

So I have mainly been the AR, but the guys in the center have done such a crappy job, I figure I can't do any worse. So I told the assigner I would be willing to do some centers this year. This is also the guy that recruited me to do the junior college games. Last night I get the email and I get a center on a boys game this friday for the dirtiest team around. There was a game two years ago with 4 red cards and a bench clearing brawl they were involved in. Talk about not easing me in. Next week at least I get a girls varsity game that I get to center.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      I did 4 JC games again this year for soccer. Those were fun and fairly easy.

High school season started last week. I have shied away from being the center ref, mainly because I don't feel like I see everything that I would want to. Also when I gt out there I seem to develop face blindness. I'll think, that was a hard tackle, ok, keep that in mind and that is a yellow if I see that again, and then 10 minutes later I see something that is iffy and I think wait... is that the same white kid with brown hair that did that before? Well I'll talk to this one again.

So I have mainly been the AR, but the guys in the center have done such a crappy job, I figure I can't do any worse. So I told the assigner I would be willing to do some centers this year. This is also the guy that recruited me to do the junior college games. Last night I get the email and I get a center on a boys game this friday for the dirtiest team around. There was a game two years ago with 4 red cards and a bench clearing brawl they were involved in. Talk about not easing me in. Next week at least I get a girls varsity game that I get to center.
                      Somehow I missed this post. How did the rest of the HS season go? And how did the game with the dirty team go? Any straight reds?

Comment

Somehow I missed this post. How did the rest of the HS season go? And how did the game with the dirty team go? Any straight reds?

I do not like being in the center. It really wasn't fun. Despite that I got to do the only home playoff game that we had around here. It was the second round, but a rematch of a game that had been payed two weeks previously. So that was weird. My two ARs were the least experienced refs we have because the others were on the boys game that ended up getting cancelled that morning.

Any way, it was a crazy game. Probably should have called it tighter, but I like to let them play. Was tied 2-2 with 8 minutes left, so getting really tight and the home team ended up scoring. Then a girl from the local team gets absolutely taken out in the penalty area. It was shoulder to shoulder but was still an unfair charge. Other girl was decleated and hit hey head on the ground. One of those where you go, wow that was bad. So I called a foul that resulted in a penalty shot. 4-2

At some point, and I really don't know what caused it, mostly frustration I guess, but if if the girls in the on the losing team yelled out during a stoppage (out of bounds), "that is f@#$ing bull shit". Well that will get you a straight red when you say it at the referee, or really anyone. So she was gone and I couldn't wait for those last two minutes to finish up.

Plus it was a downpour. I think close to 3/4 of an inch of rain was measured during the game, just completely miserable. Not w good way to end the season.

The rest of the season want too bad. Had to center 2 boys game and 3 girls. One day I did ref three games in a row. I was so tired and the end that I just wanted to collapse. The only card I had to give all year was that red, so that was good.

I have signed up to do the JC games again next August, but I am glad for a break right now.

Comment

• I found this article from the D-New interesting. Its about how unsportsman like behavior is affect recruitment and retainment of youth sports officals.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Football season has been fun so far
                            I was down at Delta for the endowment games. We had a family get together the same night. I figured if the game went normal pace I could get home right after 11 and still have time to see everyone and hang out a bit. The game went triple overtime with a neck injury on the second to last play of OT3 which delayed the game 30 to 40 minutes while the player was stabilized and moved from the field. I think he is fine as he was moving all limbs before the trainer had him lay still. I got home at like 1:30.

My game last friday was a 45-0 snoozer but I did get to call a successful 55 yard FG.

Comment

• I have never had an ending quite like the game I was at on Friday: https://www.heraldextra.com/sports/h...21e42bc57.html

Provo converted a 4th and 2 with 2 minutes left to give Salem Hills their first loss. We brought the chains out to measure that last first down and I have never seen a measurement so close. The white hat had to bend over to get his eyes down by the ball to make a call. He was literally the only one in the stadium that could have seen which way it should go; it was that close.

It was an exciting game. Our crew was great and I thought we did a solid job. Both sidelines and coaching staffs were intense but very respectful. Really a great game to be a part of. Salem Hills will bounce back. I expect them to go deep in the playoffs.

Edit: Also this was my first TV game ever (only KMYU, but still counts!)
                              Last edited by Omaha 680; 10-06-2019, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I have never had an ending quite like the game I was at on Friday: https://www.heraldextra.com/sports/h...21e42bc57.html

Provo converted a 4th and 2 with 2 minutes left to give Salem Hills their first loss. We brought the chains out to measure that last first down and I have never seen a measurement so close. The white hat had to bend over to get his eyes down by the ball to make a call. He was literally the only one in the stadium that could have seen which way it should go; it was that close.

It was an exciting game. Our crew was great and I thought we did a solid job. Both sidelines and coaching staffs were intense but very respectful. Really a great game to be a part of. Salem Hills will bounce back. I expect them to go deep in the playoffs.

Edit: Also this was my first TV game ever (only KMYU, but still counts!)
                                That sounds fun. Kind of jealous.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X