No announcement yet.

The Sports Officials Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did my varsity "observation" yesterday. I had to show up in full uniform and hold the box (down indicator) while observing the head line judge's duties, because that is the position I will likely be working all season. Seeing another varsity game full speed was good for me. I was able to focus a lot on the offensive formations and blocking on my side of the field. I was also the best box that the New York Public School Athletic League has ever seen.

Shaka, you were right about sideline control. I've already started using some of your tips and it helps a lot. Not having that area clear is a huge impediment to keeping the game moving.

After the game I got my first 7 JV games assigned to me. I'm excited to get started for real.

Comment

I did the chain gang thing when my sons played pre-high school football. It was a lot of fun - way more fun than sitting in the stands.
      Last edited by clackamascoug; 09-05-2015, 11:12 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

So this happened at a local high school. The district has suspended the kids

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
          I did the chain gang thing when my sons played pre-high school football. It was a lot of fun - way more fun than sitting in the stands.
          I did a stint of that. I enjoyed it, but I found myself always getting nervous when a player was running in my direction. I didn't want to drop the pole and get out of the way too soon.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
            So this happened at a local high school. The district has suspended the kids

Wow that's totally messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
              Wow that's totally messed up.
              The kids should be out for the year. There also needs to be an investigation and if any coaches knew about it beforehand they need to be fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                The kids should be out for the year. There also needs to be an investigation and if any coaches knew about it beforehand they need to be fired.
                It sounds like the officials association wants more than that...

The referee was "very upset" and "wanting to press charges," Wayne Elliot, the Austin Football Officials Association secretary, told The Associated Press.

"The first thing we want is that those two kids never play football again," Elliott said.
                http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b03784e2762092
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  Whoa slow down goodell. You just did your first varsity observation and now you are making all these calls? baby steps.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Follow the money. I betting this ref will be able to pay off his house by the end of the year.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                      Follow the money. I betting this ref will be able to pay off his house by the end of the year.
                      Totally agree. Those two kids that hit him are probably loaded!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        Whoa slow down goodell. You just did your first varsity observation and now you are making all these calls? baby steps.
                        Hey I'm about to work my first official JV game. I think I'm qualified to make these recommendations.

Comment

I know we think it's charming, but I bet inside of a year there will be a penalty for touching a ref during a post-TD victory celebration.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                            I know we think it's charming, but I bet inside of a year there will be a penalty for touching a ref during a post-TD victory celebration.
                            I doubt it. It's been going on for years. Why change now? As you say, people think it's charming.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                              I doubt it. It's been going on for years. Why change now? As you say, people think it's charming.
                              Because football is ending soon, too, so we are running out of time.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                                Some of the Nebraska fans were talking about their players doing similar things during the game. Maybe not a full on hug, but a couple of high five's.

Comment

Working...
                                X