The Sports Officials Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think your ref is confusing football (ineligible receiver) with basketball. In basketball, if the player is out of bounds and coming back onto the court, he/she cannot catch a pass before establishing contact back inbounds on the court. But once you are in, you are eligible.
    That's my understanding as well. While enjoying a game in one of the WCC gyms, I imagined a player inbounding the ball from the baseline, stepping back through the adjacent exit door, circling around the building's perimeter, stopping for a quick snack, reentering the gym on the opposite side of the court and, assuming both feet had touched the court, accepting a pass for a easy layup. Could happen, and it'd be legit.

Comment

In my son's game this past week, I got on the ref (something I very rarely do anymore if I want to stay in Mrs SMR's good graces) for blowing his whistle before the play even happened.

I yelled - "you blew your whistle before the play happened". that got his attention and he looked at me and said "what's your problem?" so I said "you anticipated the foul" - he essentially admitted doing so by saying "yeah, but it was the right call".

it wasn't the right call as the kid on our team was in position and straight up, but I let it go at that point. just wanted the guy to admit he anticipated the foul before it could have even occurred. and Mrs SMR wasn't even pissed at me.

hate it when refs do that. Omaha, don't do that in your games!
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        In my son's game this past week, I got on the ref (something I very rarely do anymore if I want to stay in Mrs SMR's good graces) for blowing his whistle before the play even happened.

I yelled - "you blew your whistle before the play happened". that got his attention and he looked at me and said "what's your problem?" so I said "you anticipated the foul" - he essentially admitted doing so by saying "yeah, but it was the right call".

it wasn't the right call as the kid on our team was in position and straight up, but I let it go at that point. just wanted the guy to admit he anticipated the foul before it could have even occurred. and Mrs SMR wasn't even pissed at me.

hate it when refs do that. Omaha, don't do that in your games!
        Hey, you got a low-paid ref to admit he made a mistake in a kids game. Congratulations!
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I've never said anything to a ref at one of my sons games. MJ however is all over them from the stands. She gets it from her mother, who did the exact same thing when MJ was playing point guard in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Hey, you got a low-paid ref to admit he made a mistake in a kids game. Congratulations!
            the post was just a long way of telling Omaha not to anticipate fouls. I hate that!

the only thing I'm actually proud of is the sentence immediately preceding the emoji
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

the post was just a long way of telling Omaha not to anticipate fouls. I hate that!

the only thing I'm actually proud of is the sentence immediately preceding the emoji
              Don't let JL get you down. Moliere seems to like it when you act like his wife and MIL.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                I've never said anything to a ref at one of my sons games. MJ however is all over them from the stands. She gets it from her mother, who did the exact same thing when MJ was playing point guard in high school.

if I want to avoid the doghouse, I pretty much have to be silent the entire game. the only thing that gets me in more trouble than yelling at the refs is yelling at my son.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  Don't let JL get you down. Moliere seems to like it when you act like his wife and MIL.
                  I don't act like them! I said I rarely do it anymore
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Got to do a playoff game the other day and get to do another tomorrow. Hope the rain stops, because 35 degrees and a 15 mph wind with rain is miserable.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      Got to do a playoff game the other day and get to do another tomorrow. Hope the rain stops, because 35 degrees and a 15 mph wind with rain is miserable.
                      Soccer? What else is playing outside right now?
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Soccer? What else is playing outside right now?
                        Soccer. Most of California is nice this time of year. It is still freaking winter here.

Comment

• The Sports Officials Thread

if I want to avoid the doghouse, I pretty much have to be silent the entire game. the only thing that gets me in more trouble than yelling at the refs is yelling at my son.
                          Ha, I definitely yell at my son

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                            OK, here's a question. In my son's JV game this week they were running an inbounds play from under their own basket. The ball was inbounded to one side of the basket then passed to the top of the 3 pt line. Meanwhile the player opposite the side where the ball was inbounded runs along the baseline and receives a pass back from the top of the 3 point line. Apparently he had taken a step or two out of bounds (I didn't see if he was forced out or ran out under his own power). He had taken several steps back inbounds before catching the ball. The ref blew the whistle after he caught the ball stating that since he was out of bounds he couldn't catch the ball and the ball was awarded to the other team. I've never seen this call before. Is this a rule that I'm unaware of?
                            The official was a bit confused on what he was actually calling, but technically he got the call right. Rule 9-3-3 "A player shall not leave the court for an unauthorized reason". The case examples given on this rule talk about someone going out of bounds to avoid a screen or force their defender into a screen on the end line. Technically, if a player runs out of bounds on purpose it is a violation. Where the official got it wrong is he should call the violation when the player goes out of bounds, not when he catches the ball. Most officials will let a step or two on the line go, but if there is any indication that the player stepped out to avoid the defense you really should call it.

Don't worry, anticipating the foul/violation is one of my pet peeves. I think starting in football helped me because if is pounced into your head not to blow the whistle until you see the ball dead. I'd rather have someone complain about a late call then blow the whistle early and get it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                              The official was a bit confused on what he was actually calling, but technically he got the call right. Rule 9-3-3 "A player shall not leave the court for an unauthorized reason". The case examples given on this rule talk about someone going out of bounds to avoid a screen or force their defender into a screen on the end line. Technically, if a player runs out of bounds on purpose it is a violation. Where the official got it wrong is he should call the violation when the player goes out of bounds, not when he catches the ball. Most officials will let a step or two on the line go, but if there is any indication that the player stepped out to avoid the defense you really should call it.

Don't worry, anticipating the foul/violation is one of my pet peeves. I think starting in football helped me because if is pounced into your head not to blow the whistle until you see the ball dead. I'd rather have someone complain about a late call then blow the whistle early and get it wrong.
                              I've seen it happen in college/NBA games at least a few times without being called. I thought it was sneaky but risky - just in case someone passes you the ball before you've re-established yourself in bounds. Didn't realize it was illegal.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                I've seen it happen in college/NBA games at least a few times without being called. I thought it was sneaky but risky - just in case someone passes you the ball before you've re-established yourself in bounds. Didn't realize it was illegal.
                                I can only speak with confidence on the high school rules but I imagine there is a similar rule in college.

Comment

Working...
                                X