The Sports Officials Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
    The return punt in that video was impressive. Unless Canadian football plays on a shorter field.

Longer field. Mid field is the 55 yard line. It's much wider too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
      The return punt in that video was impressive. Unless Canadian football plays on a shorter field.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ball_field.png

They also play with bigger balls ... at least they used to.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
        I saw and played lots of Canadian football growing up, and I never saw anyone actually use a gunner or kick the ball out of the endzone.

I do remember when our junior high team lost on a rouge and there was second guessing on why they didn't try to punt it out of the endzone.
        When we have the right personnel we use gunners, and we always go for the rouge, if a field goal is out of range. Points are points.
        Last edited by tooblue; 11-10-2017, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• I worked my first playoff game as SJ on Saturday (it was freezing). Shaka was right, it was very chill back there. Thanks for the pointers that made me look good. I just got a quarterfinal assignment in the top division. I'm pretty pumped. This time I'm FJ which is even easier (no game clock duties and the Rs in our association typically will take the play clock away from the FJ).

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
            . So you can ask me all you want about shot clocks and the differences between regulations.
            What is your favorite brand of shot clock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I officiated three games late last night in the league I have been privately associated with for many years. As I mentioned, the quality of play has really gone downhill, but the dynamic in terms of team make-up hasn’t changed. The multi-cultural universal love of basketball is amazing. I feel blessed to live where I live.

There are culturally centric leagues. For example, a few years ago, I was part of an ongoing contract with a Muslim basketball league. Games were held at their mosque, which was set up similar to large stake centre. At one end of the full-size gym was a stage, under which there were pull-out drawers that contained prayer rugs instead of tables and chairs. The teams prayed before every game, and just like church ball the otherwise affable and pleasant congregants turned into crazed maniacs immediately upon tip-off.

Game 1:

Team ‘A’ is an old guy, Caribbean squad. Most likely from Jamaica, Dominica, or St. Vincent, either originally or who are one generation removed. Athletic, they play above the rim and overwhelm other teams physically. This team in particular isn’t good, except the core guys always pick up one or two really good, serious players who carry the team. The whole squad complains like they are NBA stars entitled to every call by virtue of the fact they graced the gym with their presence.

Team ‘B’ is a group of nice Jewish boys. Most come into the gym wearing a Kippah. They aren’t terribly athletic, but are organized and mostly pleasant. In terms of style of play, they are the epitome of your Mountain View Third Ward church ball team, whose only chance at winning is to jack up forty 3’s a game. They win more often than they lose, because sometimes all five guys on the floor get hot at once. Last night was not their night. There’s always one guy on every team that’s a jerk, but really on this team they know who they are, and are happy when they win, and affable when they lose.

Result: Team ‘A’ in a blowout.

Game 2:

Team ‘C’ is a typical South East Asian team. Small, good ball handlers, decent shooters and most importantly organized. Like the Chinese teams they run offensive sets and out of bounds plays. They regularly beat bigger, better and more athletic teams because they out execute them, usually building a big lead in the first half, and hang on until the end. They're kind of your Cinderella first round upset type team—a 12 that beats a 5. That’s what happened last night. Exciting game to officiate.

Team ‘D’ is a young, college age Caribbean squad. Guys who are long and crazy athletic, but think they are much better than they actually are. Unlike their old guy counterparts, only one or two of them—not all five—think their crap doesn’t smell. Low basketball IQ doomed them last night. There’s no way they should lose to a team like Team C, except at the end they panicked and started playing one-on-one iso ball.

Result: Team ‘C’ hung on for a five point victory.

Game 3:

Team ‘E’ is your typical upper middle-class / wealthy neighborhood team (one guy was wearing a pair of Big Baller kicks). Mostly Chinese guys with one white guy (fouling machine trying to tell everyone what to do), one black guy (who can take over games, but is reluctant), and two guys of middle-eastern heritage. They probably all played on their high school team together. Not great, they're certainly not bad, just solid.

Note about this particular team is their best player has played in the league for a few years as a mercenary type, moving from team to team. This is his first year where he organized and brought together his own squad. Mid to late-twenties, his mother and father come to watch EVERY game. They know me by name.

Team ‘F’ is your, every league has one, angry Caribbean squad. Had to break up a fight among teammates and called two technical fouls. Yes, I carry my own liability insurance. Teams like this give leagues a bad name. They’re a mixed batch bunch, who always have a lone-wolf Eastern European or Russian mercenary on the squad. Often the best player on the floor, the Eastern European or Russians rarely pay to play—someone else picks up their fee.

Result: A nail biter, with the big Russian stepping up to hit foul shots to close out the victory for team ‘F’

Other teams in the league: The Armenians have dominated the past few years in the absence of the really good Chinese teams, who have five Jeremy Lin's on their squad. They are busy playing in huge Chinese culture tournaments, here, in New York and Miami. I've worked one of the tournaments. Teams fly-in from China to play. It's incredible. There are also one or two Muslim teams that leave their mosque leagues and one or two Sikh teams any given year in the league. I've often thought of doing a documentary about the league, players and the cultural diversity—it's incredible.
              Last edited by tooblue; 11-14-2017, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I officiated three games late last night in the league I have been privately associated with for many years. As I mentioned, the quality of play has really gone downhill, but the dynamic in terms of team make-up hasn’t changed. The multi-cultural universal love of basketball is amazing. I feel blessed to live where I live.

There are culturally centric leagues. For example, a few years ago, I was part of an ongoing contract with a Muslim basketball league. Games were held at their mosque, which was set up similar to large stake centre. At one end of the full-size gym was a stage, under which there were pull-out drawers that contained prayer rugs instead of tables and chairs. The teams prayed before every game, and just like church ball the otherwise affable and pleasant congregants turned into crazed maniacs immediately upon tip-off.

Game 1:

Team ‘A’ is an old guy, Caribbean squad. Most likely from Jamaica, Dominica, or St. Vincent, either originally or who are one generation removed. Athletic, they play above the rim and overwhelm other teams physically. This team in particular isn’t good, except the core guys always pick up one or two really good, serious players who carry the team. The whole squad complains like they are NBA stars entitled to every call by virtue of the fact they graced the gym with their presence.

Team ‘B’ is a group of nice Jewish boys. Most come into the gym wearing a Kippah. They aren’t terribly athletic, but are organized and mostly pleasant. In terms of style of play, they are the epitome of your Mountain View Third Ward church ball team, whose only chance at winning is to jack up forty 3’s a game. They win more often than they lose, because sometimes all five guys on the floor get hot at once. Last night was not their night. There’s always one guy on every team that’s a jerk, but really on this team they know who they are, and are happy when they win, and affable when they lose.

Result: Team ‘A’ in a blowout.

Game 2:

Team ‘C’ is a typical South East Asian team. Small, good ball handlers, decent shooters and most importantly organized. Like the Chinese teams they run offensive sets and out of bounds plays. They regularly beat bigger, better and more athletic teams because they out execute them, usually building a big lead in the first half, and hang on until the end. They're kind of your Cinderella first round upset type team—a 12 that beats a 5. That’s what happened last night. Exciting game to officiate.

Team ‘D’ is a young, college age Caribbean squad. Guys who are long and crazy athletic, but think they are much better than they actually are. Unlike their old guy counterparts, only one or two of them—not all five—think their crap doesn’t smell. Low basketball IQ doomed them last night. There’s no way they should lose to a team like Team C, except at the end they panicked and started playing one-on-one iso ball.

Result: Team ‘C’ hung on for a five point victory.

Game 3:

Team ‘E’ is your typical upper middle-class / wealthy neighborhood team (one guy was wearing a pair of Big Baller kicks). Mostly Chinese guys with one white guy (fouling machine trying to tell everyone what to do), one black guy (who can take over games, but is reluctant), and two guys of middle-eastern heritage. They probably all played on their high school team together. Not great, they're certainly not bad, just solid.

Note about this particular team is their best player has played in the league for a few years as a mercenary type, moving from team to team. This is his first year where he organized and brought together his own squad. Mid to late-twenties, his mother and father come to watch EVERY game. They know me by name.

Team ‘F’ is your, every league has one, angry Caribbean squad. Had to break up a fight among teammates and called two technical fouls. Yes, I carry my own liability insurance. Teams like this give leagues a bad name. They’re a mixed batch bunch, who always have a lone-wolf Eastern European or Russian mercenary on the squad. Often the best player on the floor, the Eastern European or Russians rarely pay to play—someone else picks up their fee.

Result: A nail biter, with the big Russian stepping up to hit foul shots to close out the victory for team ‘F’

Other teams in the league: The Armenians have dominated the past few years in the absence of the really good Chinese teams, who have five Jeremy Lin's on their squad. They are busy playing in huge Chinese culture tournaments, here, in New York and Miami. I've worked one of the tournaments. Teams fly-in from China to play. It's incredible. There are also one or two Muslim teams that leave their mosque leagues and one or two Sikh teams any given year in the league. I've often thought of doing a documentary about the league, players and the cultural diversity—it's incredible.
                That was interesting. A documentary of that league would certainly be something to see.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• My football season is essentially over. My quarterfinal playoff game was a blowout, but still a lot of fun. There was a shot I would have been assigned to one of the lower division semifinal games over this last weekend, but I am traveling for Thanksgiving. I would have unblocked my availability and traveled back for a semifinal assignment, but there was a chance they just would have put me on chain crew, and I didn't want to travel back for that. As it is, I'm on the chains for the Division 2 Championship game this Saturday. I'm actually looking forward to it and am pretty pleased with my advancement this season.

City championship is as far as NYC teams go. It's weird they don't have some kind of state or regional championship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                    My football season is essentially over. My quarterfinal playoff game was a blowout, but still a lot of fun. There was a shot I would have been assigned to one of the lower division semifinal games over this last weekend, but I am traveling for Thanksgiving. I would have unblocked my availability and traveled back for a semifinal assignment, but there was a chance they just would have put me on chain crew, and I didn't want to travel back for that. As it is, I'm on the chains for the Division 2 Championship game this Saturday. I'm actually looking forward to it and am pretty pleased with my advancement this season.

City championship is as far as NYC teams go. It's weird they don't have some kind of state or regional championship.
                    wait, there stuff in new york outside the boroughs?
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                      wait, there stuff in new york outside the boroughs?
                      ny-map-of-the-country.jpg
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Coaching report:

We had more than 60 boys try out for the Junior boys (grades 9 – 10) basketball team. That is absolutely unheard of at our school, but is due in no small part to the success we have had: three years in a row in the region championship game, winning twice.

A lot of really good players came out and the truth is there was little chance my boy (13 years old, grade nine, doesn’t turn 14 until December, and doesn’t even have hair in his pits) would make the team, unless I insisted. Instead I convinced the head coach to run an A and B team.

At this point, our A team is 3 – 0 in exhibition play. We are young, always having at least three grade nines on the floor at any time, but very good. It will be an interesting season. Several good teams petitioned to drop down from tier one to have a chance to play competitive games, instead of getting beat soundly by the dominant schools.

Outside of downtown Toronto, it’s just not normal here for a high school to have more than two squads—a junior (freshman & sophomores) and varsity (senior & juniors) squad. So, the B team has to play a short, exhibition schedule against lower division teams. We had our first game today against a small school out in the country filled with some good size grade ten boys.

A couple of boys we thought would really benefit from a B team experience chose to walk away (egos). With 11 dedicated players, we lost 50 – 30. All grade nines, my squad didn’t score in the first quarter (FIBA rules, with a shot clock), added 7 points in the second quarter, matched the other teams points in the third quarter and won the fourth quarter. My favorite couple of comments from the boys during the game:

I call a time out after 3:00 minutes into the first quarter. My starters are starting to get beat down the floor giving up one fast break bucket after another, with one of my bigs seemingly dogging it. He comes to the huddle and first thing he asks is: “isn’t there off sides?”

In the third quarter, another one of my starters simple took himself out of the game after committing one of many turn overs. He comes to the bench, sits down and says: “sorry coach, I’m just not playing very well. I’m tired and need to sit down.”

Same boy, after the game is over, comes up to me and states: “This is a lot different than playing at the YMCA.”

On the bus ride home, another boy asks: “When are we going to learn plays where I can spot up and shoot from the corner?”

It’s going to be a long, short season for the B squad.
                        Last edited by tooblue; 11-28-2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• Found this thread of several years ago about when I officiated regularly in a Muslim Mosque league (with pics):

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...088#post804088

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ball_field.png

They also play with bigger balls ... at least they used to.
                            Lol. Knock it off. Canadians don’t have bigger balls.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Get to do my first games of conference play today. Had influenza last week so I hope my lungs are up to it. Actually had to cancel a game because I couldn't get out of bed so they replaced me with an 83 year old guy that still comes out every year to ref.

The games today should be fun. Last year there were so many complaints by the visiting team that they have requested no local refs for this game. So two guys are driving 3.5 hours up here just to do the boys game and I and the third official with them. We won't tell the coach that two of my kids go to this school. I was pretty happy to be trusted to do this game with them. One of the guys is the assigner for our area, so nice to be in his good side.

The forecast is rain and 45 degrees, so here is hoping none of the keepers are wearing a black shirt so we can wear rain gear.

Comment

• Referee suspended, apologises for tripping Nantes player in PSG game

http://www.espn.com/soccer/nantes/st...g-nantes-chief

Comment

Working...
                                X