BYU Hoops 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    I gave specifics and you're giving generalities.

And no, Gonzaga didn't lose much from last year, so you're just wrong there. They were pretty good last year as it was but only lost little Stockton and that's about it. They reloaded on top of that with the Pac 12's leadng scorer Wesley, with Wiltjer from Kentucky and with Sabonis, along with another transfer from Vandy who doesn't play all that much yet. That's why national pundits predicted at the beginning of the season that they'd be a final four contender. Gonzaga will add players. The thing is, there is a lot more for them to replace this time than last. And what they have to replace is focused all in the same spot. They're always good. They're not always THIS good. It wasn't that long ago that St. Mary's beat them out for first. BYU can also do it, and it might be sooner than most of us think. Heck, we already beat perhaps the best Zags team ever in freaking Spokane this year despite all our problems.

For BYU we gain where we were weak and where we were strong (Haws) there will be others who will score points, which is most of what we're losing. But scoring points is never the problem for Rose's teams, and no one player will need to replace all of Haws' production. We also lose Halford, Winder and Sharp. Winder we really didn't have at full strength for most of the year anyway, and the interior players replacing Sharp are going to be way better. Halford was a nice surprise this year, but again, we have other guards who can make up for what he did. BYU will be better barring another injury disaster.
    Well-stated. BYU will be better as long as KC returns and they could be considerably better if someone in the post pans out. Gonzaga will be "worse", but of course they will still be good. Will the gap close enough for us to finally win the league? I think it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot is Cain View Post
      Last night I was despondent. I was questioning why I watch sports. Being a BYU fan is going to give me an ulcer (if not something worse). I even told my wife that it would be healthier for my life if I gave up sports.
      While not certain, I am guessing you are younger than me by a few years. In the future, I suggest you think those thoughts but never actually tell your wife. They never forget and can bring it up at awkward times.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
        While not certain, I am guessing you are younger than me by a few years. In the future, I suggest you think those thoughts but never actually tell your wife. They never forget and can bring it up at awkward times.
        His biggest health concern is an ulcer. Of course he's young.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
          Again, where would KC go?
          I bet KC ends up playing in Russia eventually but he'll be back at BYU this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            I gave specifics and you're giving generalities.

And no, Gonzaga didn't lose much from last year, so you're just wrong there. They were pretty good last year as it was but only lost little Stockton and that's about it. They reloaded on top of that with the Pac 12's leadng scorer Wesley, with Wiltjer from Kentucky and with Sabonis, along with another transfer from Vandy who doesn't play all that much yet. That's why national pundits predicted at the beginning of the season that they'd be a final four contender. Gonzaga will add players. The thing is, there is a lot more for them to replace this time than last. And what they have to replace is focused all in the same spot. They're always good. They're not always THIS good. It wasn't that long ago that St. Mary's beat them out for first. BYU can also do it, and it might be sooner than most of us think. Heck, we already beat perhaps the best Zags team ever in freaking Spokane this year despite all our problems.

For BYU we gain where we were weak and where we were strong (Haws) there will be others who will score points, which is most of what we're losing. But scoring points is never the problem for Rose's teams, and no one player will need to replace all of Haws' production. We also lose Halford, Winder and Sharp. Winder we really didn't have at full strength for most of the year anyway, and the interior players replacing Sharp are going to be way better. Halford was a nice surprise this year, but again, we have other guards who can make up for what he did. BYU will be better barring another injury disaster.
            I agree that BYU will be better next year.

Who do people think the starting 5 will be next year? My preference would be thus:

1 - KC
            2 - Chase Fischer
            3 - Frank Bartley
            4 - Kyle Davis
            5 - Corbin Kaufusi

Off the bench we will see Nate Austin, Aytes, Emery and two of the three of Seljaas, Toolsen and Chatman. I think BYU will be deeper all over the court. They should play better defense but they could be much better than giving up 61 points in 20 minutes of play and still not be very good. I thought defense was getting better this year but that 2nd half against Ole Miss was an abortion delivered live. Enough of that we are onto next year and hope springs eternal!

Questions to which the answers will dictate what type of club BYU can have:
            1.) Can Kaufusi develop into a reliable 8-9 ppg/7-8 rpg/2-3 bpg 5 who forces teams to respect his back to basket offense, block shots, rebound and defend well? Big Deal.
            2.) Can KyleC develop an outside jumper that opposing defenses have to at least respect? SemiBigDeal.
            3.) Can Frank Bartley develop into a non-liability on offense who can score 7 ppg? AnotherBigDeal for BYU to get good, IMO.
            4.) Will Emery and Seljaas be ready as freshman?
            5.) Who is going to step up between Toolsen and Chatman and is whoever doesn't gone?
            6.) Will Kyle Davis and Jamal Aytes be as good as we are expecting?

I think with Chase and Austin we know what we are getting and there isn't real potential to improve in any way that will significantly impact either the team or their individual games. I expect Fischer to score a bit more next year but to basically be the same player. Nate Austin, if healthy, will play and save the season by scoring about 2ppg while grabbing about 6 rpg. It might be the fewest minutes he plays at BYU since his freshman year. Kyle will usually be the best player on the court but if he can be reliable with open jumpers he will be even more lethal. With post players comfortably scoring it will be interesting to watch.

My big question is still who will the 13 scholarship players be? Right now there are currently scheduled 15 players that are "scholarship worthy" to be on the team in:
            Austin
            KyleC
            Fischer
            Bartley
            Davis
            Aytes
            Kaufusi
            Toolsen
            Neilson
            Calvert
            Emery
            Chatman
            Hartsock
            Shaw
            Seljaas

I guess it safe to assume that Nate Austin will be a walk-on next year, but will somebody transfer out (Bartley? Toolsen? Chatman? Aytes? - those are the only ones I can imagine at this point)? I guess either Davis or Kaufusi could be walk-ons for another year. Time will tell.

I do think BYU hoops trended up this past year. I think BYU can take another overall step up next year.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

Who do people think the starting 5 will be next year? My preference would be thus:

1 - KC
              2 - Chase Fischer
              3 - Frank Bartley
              4 - Kyle Davis
              5 - Corbin Kaufusi

Off the bench we will see Nate Austin, Aytes, Emery and two of the three of Seljaas, Toolsen and Chatman. I think BYU will be deeper all over the court. They should play better defense but they could be much better than giving up 61 points in 20 minutes of play and still not be very good. I thought defense was getting better this year but that 2nd half against Ole Miss was an abortion delivered live. Enough of that we are onto next year and hope springs eternal!

Questions to which the answers will dictate what type of club BYU can have:
              1.) Can Kaufusi develop into a reliable 8-9 ppg/7-8 rpg/2-3 bpg 5 who forces teams to respect his back to basket offense, block shots, rebound and defend well? Big Deal.
              2.) Can KyleC develop an outside jumper that opposing defenses have to at least respect? SemiBigDeal.
              3.) Can Frank Bartley develop into a non-liability on offense who can score 7 ppg? AnotherBigDeal for BYU to get good, IMO.
              4.) Will Emery and Seljaas be ready as freshman?
              5.) Who is going to step up between Toolsen and Chatman and is whoever doesn't gone?
              6.) Will Kyle Davis and Jamal Aytes be as good as we are expecting?

I think with Chase and Austin we know what we are getting and there isn't real potential to improve in any way that will significantly impact either the team or their individual games. I expect Fischer to score a bit more next year but to basically be the same player. Nate Austin, if healthy, will play and save the season by scoring about 2ppg while grabbing about 6 rpg. It might be the fewest minutes he plays at BYU since his freshman year. Kyle will usually be the best player on the court but if he can be reliable with open jumpers he will be even more lethal. With post players comfortably scoring it will be interesting to watch.

My big question is still who will the 13 scholarship players be? Right now there are currently scheduled 15 players that are "scholarship worthy" to be on the team in:
              Austin
              KyleC
              Fischer
              Bartley
              Davis
              Aytes
              Kaufusi
              Toolsen
              Neilson
              Calvert
              Emery
              Chatman
              Hartsock
              Shaw
              Seljaas

I guess it safe to assume that Nate Austin will be a walk-on next year, but will somebody transfer out (Bartley? Toolsen? Chatman? Aytes? - those are the only ones I can imagine at this point)? I guess either Davis or Kaufusi could be walk-ons for another year. Time will tell.

I do think BYU hoops trended up this past year. I think BYU can take another overall step up next year.
              Bartley can't be a starter, IMO. He doesn't shoot it well enough and or handle well enough for a wing. I'd rather Seljaas or Toolsen start at the 3, most likely Seljaas.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                Bartley can't be a starter, IMO. He doesn't shoot it well enough and or handle well enough for a wing. I'd rather Seljaas or Toolsen start at the 3, most likely Seljaas.
                I really would like to see BYU have one good perimeter defender starting. I know it is likely a vain hope, but that is where I am. I think KyleC is adequate as a perimeter defender but Fischer struggles to keep his man in front and so will Seljaas and Toolsen, IMO. Perhaps they can be better than I give them credit.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  Really wish we had Winder back. We need someone that can defend on the perimeter and be a strong ball handler on offense. Curious to see how Emery will look. I'd say it's between Emery and Seljaas for that last starting position.

Inside should be as solid as we've had in a long time with Kaufusi, Austin, Davis, Aytes.

I expect us to be a little better but only incrementally.

Comment

I really would like to see BYU have one good perimeter defender starting. I know it is likely a vain hope, but that is where I am. I think KyleC is adequate as a perimeter defender but Fischer struggles to keep his man in front and so will Seljaas and Toolsen, IMO. Perhaps they can be better than I give them credit.
                    Seljaas is athletic, but he's white and 6'7. He's likely not going to keep very many D1 guards in front of him. Same for Toolsen. Perimeter defense is going to be a big issue next year.

Comment

1 - KC
                      2 - Chase Fischer
                      3 - Frank Bartley
                      4 - Kyle Davis
                      5 - Corbin Kaufusi
                      You want KC to be the point guard? Nick Emery won a national championship playing point guard. I think I would rather he were our starting 1.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                        Really wish we had Winder back. We need someone that can defend on the perimeter and be a strong ball handler on offense. Curious to see how Emery will look. I'd say it's between Emery and Seljaas for that last starting position.

Inside should be as solid as we've had in a long time with Kaufusi, Austin, Davis, Aytes.

I expect us to be a little better but only incrementally.
                        I have high hopes for emery. Barring injury, I expect him to be our starter next season at some point, even if it isnt at first.

Im also reserving a glass of kool aid for Aytes.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Goat the only problem I see with your post is Bartley. I hope he can improve enough not to be a liability but I think ball security is a skill that probably should have been honed by now.

Comment

Is Andrus going on a mission? For some reason I thought he had already gone.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Emery will start game 1. Mangum will start game 6.
                              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Are Andrus and Nixon mission bound?

I'm not bailing on Bartley yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not in Provo next year. He's got the quickness to be a great defender, but in the zone he seems to get caught sleeping more than he should.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X