Levin's new project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levin's new project

I'm really proud of Levin for spearheading this.

BYU graduates complain to accrediting board over school’s treatment of lapsed-Mormon students

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2288397-1...rediting-board

Levin says the policy violates the accrediting board's standard that students are free to "examine thought, reason and perspectives of truth" and "share their reasoned conclusions with others." He believes the complaint will highlight a violation that will affect BYU's accreditation, which is due for a seven-year review in April.

Who knew Levin was so rational?
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Isn't he your arch enemy on this board?

Edit. Ok I get it- you're making a funny. Carry on.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I am embarrassed that these BYU grads are so lacking in critical thinking skills as to promote this dumb idea. It will be addressed in about 90 seconds by the university admin if it is raised by the accreditation committee. Scratch that, I doubt it will even come up.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

It was a fun article. Anytime I get to hear Carrie Jenkins I know I'm in for a treat. She's BYU's version of Irwin Mainway.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

It's odd that Sooner posted this after the game. Usually he does it right in the middle of the game.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I understand what you're saying JL but surely you don't think BYU is correct in kicking out kids who enroll as LDS students and decide to leave the Church, right?

Luke Ashworth got to stay at school and nothing bad happened right? It's a stupid policy, like something out of Islam.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
              I understand what you're saying JL but surely you don't think BYU is correct in kicking out kids who enroll as LDS students and decide to leave the Church, right?

Luke Ashworth got to stay at school and nothing bad happened right? It's a stupid policy, like something out of Islam.
              Islam? Good grief, are you serious?

I wish they would be especially lenient of kids that are close to graduation (and I think in most cases they are), but it is a rational and defensible policy. The argument these folks are making is that we allow non-members in, therefore we should allow non-believing LDS kids to stay in school. But those non-LDS kids were allowed under a different set of conditions and under a different agreement. BYU reserves a small set of slots for non-LDS kids, but the vast majority of slots are reserved for kids that are prepared and willing to have the full BYU experience. That experience includes participation in student wards and attending church services and participating in other faith-based courses and activities. That is a perfectly legitimate strategy for a church-sponsored university and it is supported by the accreditation agency. If students admitted under those conditions later decide they want to disengage from the church, that is fine, but they are occupying a very highly-coveted slot that is mostly funded by tithing money. It is not fair to all the bright and qualified students who would give anything to attend BYU, to allow someone to remain at BYU under those conditions. BYU has every right to decide what kind of conditions to impose on the students in terms of admission and yearly continuation. It is a private university.

If you want to make one of those dumb consistency arguments, you could say that BYU does in fact treat these students the same way they treat non-members: the vast majority of them can't attend BYU.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Lebowski is pretending he is a lawyer. HA.

I don't think most would question whether BYU has the legal right to do all sorts of stupid things.

BYU has the legal right to kick people out of school for almost any reason.

BYU has the legal right to discriminate based on religion.

BYU has the legal right to be as crazy as BYU wants to be.

But kicking students out for changing religions is not compatible with academic freedom on any level. BYU should lose its accreditation. BYU does not behave as a legitimate university should behave. No university should use student underwear decisions as a metric for worthiness to attend class. This goes far beyond academic freedom, when you think about it. It's about controlling your underwear. I'm not going to use the word cult, because that would make me sound like an ex-mo. But it's certainly creepy.

Lebowski, do you wear your garments day and night? Just checking.
                Last edited by SoonerCoug; 03-17-2015, 10:33 PM.
                That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post

I don't think most would question whether BYU has the legal right to do all sorts of stupid things.

But kicking students out for changing religions is not compatible with academic freedom on any level. BYU should lose its accreditation. BYU does not behave as a legitimate university should behave. No university should use underwear decisions as a metric for worthiness to attend the school. This goes far beyond academic freedom, when you think about it. It's about controlling your underwear.
                  Ha. There you go. It's all about underwear. Great argument!

Comment

But kicking students out for changing religions is not compatible with academic freedom on any level. BYU should lose its accreditation. BYU does not behave as a legitimate university should behave. No university should use student underwear decisions as a metric for worthiness to attend class. This goes far beyond academic freedom, when you think about it. It's about controlling your underwear. I'm not going to use the word cult, because that would make me sound like an ex-mo. But it's certainly creepy.

Well done.

I am posting in my G's right now!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      If you want to make one of those dumb consistency arguments, you could say that BYU does in fact treat these students the same way they treat non-members: the vast majority of them can't attend BYU.
                      I think the consistency argument they are making is that BYU encourages freedom of choice for non-member students who decide to join the church, but punishes those who do the reverse.

I agree that private institutions should have broad leeway with acceptance and rejection policies. But it still looks bad when BYU kicks out students who make decisions based on their integrity.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Islam? Good grief, are you serious?

I wish they would be especially lenient of kids that are close to graduation (and I think in most cases they are), but it is a rational and defensible policy. The argument these folks are making is that we allow non-members in, therefore we should allow non-believing LDS kids to stay in school. But those non-LDS kids were allowed under a different set of conditions and under a different agreement. BYU reserves a small set of slots for non-LDS kids, but the vast majority of slots are reserved for kids that are prepared and willing to have the full BYU experience. That experience includes participation in student wards and attending church services and participating in other faith-based courses and activities. That is a perfectly legitimate strategy for a church-sponsored university and it is supported by the accreditation agency. If students admitted under those conditions later decide they want to disengage from the church, that is fine, but they are occupying a very highly-coveted slot that is mostly funded by tithing money. It is not fair to all the bright and qualified students who would give anything to attend BYU, to allow someone to remain at BYU under those conditions. BYU has every right to decide what kind of conditions to impose on the students in terms of admission and yearly continuation. It is a private university.

BYU needs to decide whether it wants to be an academic institution or a religious institution. If you want to be a student at BYU there are certain hoops you need to jump through, and if you want to be an accredited university there are also hoops you need to jump through. I have no problem with people challenging BYU's accreditation.
                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          BYU needs to decide whether it wants to be an academic institution or a religious institution. If you want to be a student at BYU there are certain hoops you need to jump through, and if you want to be an accredited university there are also hoops you need to jump through. I have no problem with people challenging BYU's accreditation.
                          Best post of 2015.

So true.

Can't have it both ways.

Comment

I am posting in my G's right now!
                            Worst post of 2015.

Comment

Sooner pretending to be a worse lawyer.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X