Europe Club Soccer -- Champions League, EPL, etc, MLS not allowed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europe Club Soccer -- Champions League, EPL, etc, MLS not allowed

Does anyone get into Champions League soccer? I have kinda always been a little into it, with interest being spiked in World Cup years, but this last fall I started getting into EPL, and now I'm almost a full on soccer nerd.

Arsenal needs a 3-0 win to move on, and they're up 2-0 on Monaco. INTENSE!

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Does anyone get into Champions League soccer? I have kinda always been a little into it, with interest being spiked in World Cup years, but this last fall I started getting into EPL, and now I'm almost a full on soccer nerd.

Arsenal needs a 3-0 win to move on, and they're up 2-0 on Monaco. INTENSE!
    I'm starting to get into a bit more, but i just follow the games in the news since I'm a cable cutter and don't get the games. old_gregg literally cannot stop laughing at me right now.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Arsenal ends at 2-0, 3-3 aggregate and goes home on away goals. Soccer is the most effed up sport for how popular it is and awesome it is at times.

If you enjoy World Cup soccer but have only had passing interest in club soccer, and you either have little time or case of high functioning ADHD, here's a good way to get into it. Fox Sports has a show EPL game of the week or something, and they show about five minutes of highlights of each game. I've actually gotten really into it. EPL games have highest scoring average of any league. Great players, great soccer when the top teams meet, good action, good drama.

Comment

Arsenal ends at 2-0, 3-3 aggregate and goes home on away goals. Soccer is the most effed up sport for how popular it is and awesome it is at times.

If you enjoy World Cup soccer but have only had passing interest in club soccer, and you either have little time or case of high functioning ADHD, here's a good way to get into it. Fox Sports has a show EPL game of the week or something, and they show about five minutes of highlights of each game. I've actually gotten really into it. EPL games have highest scoring average of any league. Great players, great soccer when the top teams meet, good action, good drama.
        I'm hoping to catch Chelsea/Stoke City live in a couple of weeks.
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

I don't understand why Americans have such an issue with the two-leg playoff format. I mean, I guess I understand because it's so different from what we are used to. But if you think about it logically, is there a better format to make every minute of the games count?

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
            I don't understand why Americans have such an issue with the two-leg playoff format. I mean, I guess I understand because it's so different from what we are used to. But if you think about it logically, is there a better format to make every minute of the games count?
            You don't understand why Americans would have an issue with a two game playoff format where one team wins 3-1, then the other team wins 2-0, and the team that won 3-1 moves on with no other tie breaking method?

Comment

You don't understand why Americans would have an issue with a two game playoff format where one team wins 3-1, then the other team wins 2-0, and the team that won 3-1 moves on with no other tie breaking method?
              Omaha, serious question. What exactly is the intent on favoring away goals over home goals? Seems counter intuitive. It will incentivize over all lower scoring right? Home team has incentive to keep scoring down. Visiting team has incentive to make it high scoring. Since home team would likely have small advantage in controlling tempo or how open the game is played, this would result in lower total goals?

Comment

Omaha, serious question. What exactly is the intent on favoring away goals over home goals? Seems counter intuitive. It will incentivize over all lower scoring right? Home team has incentive to keep scoring down. Visiting team has incentive to make it high scoring. Since home team would likely have small advantage in controlling tempo or how open the game is played, this would result in lower total goals?
                I believe the intent is to try to break a tie the most fair way possible while still preserving the format that makes every minute and every goal of both matches count. Extra time at the end of the second leg isn't fair because then you are playing more time at one location. Granted, extra time is played when the teams are tied on both goals and away goals at the end of the second leg, but that is pretty rare.

And I don't think the format depresses scores at all (although I don't have the data).

Comment

Barcelona looking to move through taking a 1-0 lead at half on Man City (should be 3-0 after hitting the post twice) and a 3-1 aggregate lead.
                  "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                    Barcelona looking to move through taking a 1-0 lead at half on Man City (should be 3-0 after hitting the post twice) and a 3-1 aggregate lead.
                    Watched a little of this while working out. Barcelona looks so good. I wasn't really that familiar with Nemar, but that guy is good. Nemar, Messi, and Suarez up front, all top 10 players in the world.

In my EPL highlights show, a guy I started liking was Wilfried Bony from Swansea City. Manchester just did a transfer for them from his old club, but he's just sitting on the bench for them.

Comment

It appears as if three Spanish teams, two French teams, and one German, Italian and Portugese team each will advance.

Do they redraw matchups after every round or do they create a bracket?

It appears as if Real Madrid, Munich and Barcelona are the strongest teams.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        It appears as if three Spanish teams, two French teams, and one German, Italian and Portugese team each will advance.

Do they redraw matchups after every round or do they create a bracket?

It appears as if Real Madrid, Munich and Barcelona are the strongest teams.
                        Yeah, I think PSG is right there too, but probably a step behind. Those three are real powerhouses. I was hoping to see the English teams do well, but it's obvious they're not at the same level.

Comment

Looked up some odds:
                          Bayern 2.3:1
                          Barcelona 2.6:1
                          Real Madrid 3.3:1
                          PSG 10:1
                          Atletico 12:1
                          Juventus 13:1
                          nobody else less than 40:1

Comment

I don't even know what this crap is, but unlike some fringe religious nuts I recognize that this is a huge deal and a very large group of people do. #badgeofhonor
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

This guy is ridiculous.
                              http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=esp...&ex_cid=espnFB
                              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Working...
                              X