Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space, *quit swearing in titles*; space.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even better!

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
      Footage from the chase plane.

That's pretty incredible even though it was a failure.

Comment

Better quality and you get to see the rapid unscheduled disassembly.

Comment

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

There are some pretty awesome pictures of Pluto and Charon coming back from New Horizons fly-by.

Close up of Pluto's southern hemisphere:

One of Pluto's moons, Charon.

Comment

I've been following that, too. Those images are incredible. I want to learn more about how exactly they beam the data back.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                I want to learn more about how exactly they beam the data back.
                Carrier Pigeons in little space suits.

13801378563_9dac1e943e_m.jpg
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  Carrier Pigeons in little space suits.

Those are damn fast pigeons.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                    I've been following that, too. Those images are incredible. I want to learn more about how exactly they beam the data back.
                    It seems with a very slow internet connection...

Communication with the spacecraft is via X band. The craft had a communication rate of 38 kbit/s at Jupiter; at Pluto's distance, a rate of approximately 1 kbit/s is expected. Besides the low bandwidth, Pluto's distance also causes a latency of about 4.5 hours (one-way). The 70 m (230 ft) NASA Deep Space Network (DSN) dishes are used to relay commands once it is beyond Jupiter. The spacecraft uses dual redundant transmitters and receivers, and either right- or left-hand circular polarization. The downlink signal is amplified by dual redundant 12-watt traveling-wave tube amplifiers (TWTAs) mounted on the body under the dish. The receivers are new, low-power designs. The system can be controlled to power both TWTAs at the same time, and transmit a dual-polarized downlink signal to the DSN that nearly doubles the downlink rate. DSN tests early in the mission with this dual polarization combining technique were successful, and the capability is now considered operational (when the spacecraft power budget permits both TWTAs to be powered).

In addition to the high-gain antenna, there are two backup low-gain antennas and a medium-gain dish. The high-gain dish has a Cassegrain reflector layout, composite construction, and a 2.1-meter (7 ft) diameter providing over 42 dBi of gain, has a half-power beam width of about a degree. The prime-focus, medium-gain antenna, with a 0.3-meter (1 ft) aperture and 10° half-power beam width, is mounted to the back of the high-gain antenna's secondary reflector. The forward low-gain antenna is stacked atop the feed of the medium-gain antenna. The aft low-gain antenna is mounted within the launch adapter at the rear of the spacecraft. This antenna was used only for early mission phases near Earth, just after launch and for emergencies if the spacecraft had lost attitude control.
                    [...]
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ho..._data_handling
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Moliere gets way faster speeds than that on his home wifi network.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

~295 db pathloss tends to kill your bit rate

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          Moliere gets way faster speeds than that on his home wifi network.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Those are damn fast pigeons.
                            No air resistance. Well, until re-entry.

Comment

This antenna was used only for early mission phases near Earth, just after launch and for emergencies if the spacecraft had lost attitude control.
                              Does NASA sell those kind of antenna for teenagers?
                              "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Pluto Truthers claim NASA faked the photos...

http://gizmodo.com/these-pluto-truth...ake-1717828679

Of course the above photo is a fake.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X