Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space, *quit swearing in titles*; space.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottie View Post
    Whenever this thread pops up, I try to guess woot's original title; I'm thinking either "Space, g-damnit; space," or "Space, shit; space."
    I'm pretty sure that it was "bitches."
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
      Whenever this thread pops up, I try to guess woot's original title; I'm thinking either "Space, g-damnit; space," or "Space, shit; space."
      Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
      I'm pretty sure that it was "bitches."
      I actually saw it. It was the gerund form of the eff word.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Yeah they were almost able to launch but an anvil cloud formed within the restricted 10-mile radius. Next attempt is at 4:10pm tomorrow, but the weather is currently 50% go.

In other news, ULA's new rocket will be called Vulcan, as predicted.
        CCgS9_kWgAAzeL9.jpg
        It looks to be quite a nice improvement over either of their current rocket families, although development will occur in 4 stages, beginning in 2019 with an Atlas V getting its first stage replaced with the new Vulcan core, and ending in 2024ish with an all-new second stage. It hasn't even been decided what solid rocket boosters or 2nd stage engine they'll be using, but I'm excited about some of the previously-announced innovations (especially IVF, if anyone wants to look that up; in addition to some very nice near-term advantages it also makes in-orbit refueling possible, which in turn makes all sorts of missions possible).

Edit:
        apollo15.jpg

Comment

Weather was upgraded to 60% go, and for now the rocket and weather are both green for a 4:10pm ET launch.

The SpaceX feed will be starting momentarily: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csVpa25iqH0

The NASA feed has been going for a while, available at various sources, e.g.: http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
            Weather was upgraded to 60% go, and for now the rocket and weather are both green for a 4:10pm ET launch.

The SpaceX feed will be starting momentarily: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csVpa25iqH0

The NASA feed has been going for a while, available at various sources, e.g.: http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

every time the video lags I think it's going to explode.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Well Dragon is deployed, but the body language at Hawthorne doesn't seem positive regarding the first stage landing attempt...

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                Well Dragon is deployed, but the body language at Hawthorne doesn't seem positive regarding the first stage landing attempt...
                Which is scheduled to happen when?
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Comment

"We falcon punched the barge"

Now I wonder about the barge.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                      Which is scheduled to happen when?
                      1st stage landing attempt happens at 8:32 after launch, so about a minute before second stage engine cutoff (9:37)

But the primary mission is always most important so that's great news.

Comment

Comment

I hope they're release the video again.

I really wish the Air Force would let them boost back to the launch site. Perhaps if they keep hitting the barge with such accuracy that'll instill enough confidence that they'll let them try.

One of the issues is that even with only 1 of 9 engines running (and that one throttled to minimum), the thrust-to-weight ratio is still >1, necessitating a "hoverslam" technique. On land that shouldn't be an issue, but when the z-position of the barge is so variable, even a perfect landing might be foiled by the barge coming up to smack the rocket or dropping away unexpectedly. They've supposedly got tilting oscillation somewhat under control at least.

It's still early enough it also wouldn't surprise me if they just don't have the rocket side of landing quite figured out.

Comment

Comment

Footage from the chase plane.

Comment

Better footage will be available when the barge comes back to port, but the chase plane got a pretty good shot of it:

https://vine.co/v/euEpIVegiIx

Seems like it had a bit of horizontal velocity and then slightly over-corrected. An employee says that one of the landing legs gave out; looks like it had a chance if that hadn't happened. Hopefully they can tweak the algorithm a bit before the next try.

Comment

Working...
                                X