riding on a trainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• riding on a trainer

so i set up my bike on my trainer in the garage, put the block up front, threw on the iPod... determined to get down from the heaviest weight i've ever been.. about 15 minutes in, i'm thinking, "this sucks balls". i rode for 30 minutes got my heart rate up a little and almost sweat. my thighs were a bit tighter.

i tried working on dipping my heel down on the down stroke, 'wipe my feet' and lead with my heel back up to the top of the pedal stroke. does that sound like what i'm supposed to be doing?

this is going to be really hard to stay motivated as i thought riding on the trainer was gay.com... maybe i'll try riding in the morning and see if that switches things up a little. i also have a bunch of DVD's including a few trainright DVD's and the Magnificent 7. I may have to bring in the bike and ride. although, that may be more work than it's worth.

As someone that is mostly new to biking I am curious as to what a decent trainer is to get? I am not much for biking in the winter rain here in Eugene. Any suggestions on a trainer?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      As someone that is mostly new to biking I am curious as to what a decent trainer is to get? I am not much for biking in the winter rain here in Eugene. Any suggestions on a trainer?
      I'm a newbie too, but I'll throw in my .02 ... A wise and experienced cyclist once told me, "get a good trainer, but don't spend too much money, because you don't want an expensive dust collector". Establish a budget and get the best one you can for the money. I bought a CycleOps 2 trainer for about 300 bones at REI.. you could spend less than half that at nashbar.com I bet and get a comparable one. I tend to spend too much on my bike stuff because I'm not patient.

Comment

You can get a decent trainer for about $100 now on Nashbar or performancebike.com.

You'll typically get more resistance if you get a magnetic resistance unit, although you can also find a fluid one with a variable resistance add-on now.

The fluid resistance ones are a bit more quiet and are supposed to have more of a road-like feel to them.

I have a fluid one and like it well enough, but wish I had spent the extra $ for a nicer one. I use it probably 2-3 hours per week in the winter.

Your best bet for a good deal would be to contact Steelblue. He has a nice one in his garage that hasn't been burdened with any work for probably 2 or 3 years now.

Comment

When I get cancer and the doctor tells me I have three months to live the first thing I'm going to do is start riding indoors since it will make that three months seem like three years. I hate it but it seems to be a necessary evil.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
            When I get cancer and the doctor tells me I have three months to live the first thing I'm going to do is start riding indoors since it will make that three months seem like three years. I hate it but it seems to be a necessary evil.
            So true. I rode for 20 minutes last night and it seemed like an eternity. This is the polar opposite of 7 minutes in heaven. Still I am amazed at the sweat that I am able to work up in so short a time.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              When I get cancer and the doctor tells me I have three months to live the first thing I'm going to do is start riding indoors since it will make that three months seem like three years.
              That is hilarious, but so true.

Comment

I recommend a nice wall-mounted TV with a DVR and a DVD player to go with the trainer. Makes a world of difference.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                X