Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Real name's McGill. The Jew thing is for the homeboys." The Better Call Saul thread

Default Real name's McGill. The Jew thing is for the homeboys." The Better Call Saul thread

Initial reviews suggest that Saul Goodman's show deserves its own official CougarStadium.com thread.

Here's another stellar review.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...l-saul/385265/

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

So I'm only about halfway through Breaking Bad, does this show stand on its own or do I need to know a bunch of references from BB?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    So I'm only about halfway through Breaking Bad, does this show stand on its own or do I need to know a bunch of references from BB?
    From what I've seen, it stands on its own, but there will be references that fans of the show will enjoy. You can enjoy both at the same time.
    Not that, sickos.

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Initial reviews suggest that Saul Goodman's show deserves its own official CougarStadium.com thread.

Here's another stellar review.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...l-saul/385265/
    It has at least two others.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

I was so worried about the clown potential of this show when it was first announced. I'm excited that the reviews have been so positive.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

It was so good out of the gate, AMC greenlighted a second year right away. I don't believe I've anticipated a new show like this - ever.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar

Solid 1st half hour. Gilligan makes a good show.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

They still pay $700 a case for a felony on public defender cases in New Mexico.

Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    They still pay $700 a case for a felony on public defender cases in New Mexico.
    My BiL did public defender work for a few years before joining a small firm. At the time, he was living in a trailer and driving an early 90s Ford Taurus.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Solid. Can't wait for tomorrow's. I was late to the party and binged all but the last season of BB. This is going to be tougher. I felt the two cameos were a little shoe horned, but in Gilligan I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Solid. Can't wait for tomorrow's. I was late to the party and binged all but the last season of BB. This is going to be tougher. I felt the two cameos were a little shoe horned, but in Gilligan I trust.
    I think Mike is supposed to be a regular character, no?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I don't think they're cameo... I they're integral to the Jimmy / Saul transformation. Jimmy's about to find gold in filthy lucre. We know Mike was a former cop, and this is the introduction to him breaking bad.

I'm going to need MarkGrace's opinion before I give it a whirl.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

One episode in, I'm not sure I get the rave reviews it's getting. It's slow...much slower than breaking bad. Stylistically, very similar, so I'm intrigued, but if I hadn't seen or didn't like BB, I don't think I would be giving it another episode.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    One episode in, I'm not sure I get the rave reviews it's getting. It's slow...much slower than breaking bad. Stylistically, very similar, so I'm intrigued, but if I hadn't seen or didn't like BB, I don't think I would be giving it another episode.
    I thought the same thing. I have history with Saul, so I'm interested in the story. And the cameos perked me up. But still, it was pretty slow.

But of course I'm going to watch it. I just hope it starts moving more quickly.

Pilots are always a little tough, you have to set up the series and get lots of details established before you can roll your Esteem into a Cadillac.

I think you're mis-remembering BB. That show could be incredibly slow at times.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Princeps Inter Pares

Default Real name's McGill. The Jew thing is for the homeboys." The Better Call Sau...

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I think you're mis-remembering BB. That show could be incredibly slow at times.
    But even the silence could be so gripping. Like when they sat at the table chewing food for almost a minute? A clever metaphor, I think, as the tension was so intense you could almost chew it. Brilliant! In Gilligan we trust.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Hopefully they spend the whole of episode 2 trying to kill a fly. But it's probably too early for that kind of non-stop excitement.

(Fly episode still one of my favs!)

Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar

I enjoyed the Pilot...though I was still traumatized by what happened on Walking Dead.

Spoiler for No!:
    RIP Tyrese
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I enjoyed the Pilot...though I was still traumatized by what happened on Walking Dead.

Spoiler for No!:
    RIP Tyrese
    Ha. Did you forget he's black?!

First of all, spoiler tags don't work on Tapatalk. Didn't expect a Walking Dead spoiler in this thread. Thanks for nothing, DNF!

I watched the BCS premiere tonight. Went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Solid opening episode.

Seems like the biggest hurdle they will have to overcome is keeping it interesting without the drama of "I wonder how this series ends?". If they can pull that off, they are truly great writers.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Seems like the biggest hurdle they will have to overcome is keeping it interesting without the drama of "I wonder how this series ends?". If they can pull that off, they are truly great writers.
    Pretty interesting premise for a TV series. It's one thing to write a movie prequel when you know you have two hours to fill. But for a TV series, what do you plan for, a single season? What if it's amazingly successful? Two seasons? Hopefully they've taken a cue from British television, do two seasons really well and then move on.

Tonight was better. It's getting there. But I do think it's going to need a strong supporting cast. I think it will get tiresome quickly if Saul remains the sole lead character.

The scene in the desert was pure BB gold. Had me laughing and squirming at the same time. Michael Mckean as Jimmy's brother is great casting. They've got to show some humanity for Jimmy as he breaks bad, and the brotherly love will be an interesting way to portray his goodness.

Just finished it. I'm still in! The bread scene made me want to find my own toilet. Hate that sound.

Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    First of all, spoiler tags don't work on Tapatalk. Didn't expect a Walking Dead spoiler in this thread. Thanks for nothing, DNF!

I watched the BCS premiere tonight. Went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Solid opening episode.

Whoops!
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    The scene in the desert was pure BB gold. Had me laughing and squirming at the same time. Michael Mckean as Jimmy's brother is great casting. They've got to show some humanity for Jimmy as he breaks bad, and the brotherly love will be an interesting way to portray his goodness.
    I assumed they were brothers, but I didn't notice that it was explicitly mentioned. Was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I assumed they were brothers, but I didn't notice that it was explicitly mentioned. Was it?
    Not in the show.

Not in the show.
    Vince Gilligan has gone second level. He's beyond having to point out the obvious through dialog. The clues are there, the situation is presented, and the way that Jimmy told Chuck to take off the space blanket emphatically is a familial form of communication reserved for only the closest of people.

You guys need to ground yourself before coming into this thread.