Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real name's McGill. The Jew thing is for the homeboys." The Better Call Saul thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilots are always a little tough, you have to set up the series and get lots of details established before you can roll your Esteem into a Cadillac.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      One episode in, I'm not sure I get the rave reviews it's getting. It's slow...much slower than breaking bad. Stylistically, very similar, so I'm intrigued, but if I hadn't seen or didn't like BB, I don't think I would be giving it another episode.
      I think you're mis-remembering BB. That show could be incredibly slow at times.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Real name's McGill. The Jew thing is for the homeboys." The Better Call Sau...

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        I think you're mis-remembering BB. That show could be incredibly slow at times.
        But even the silence could be so gripping. Like when they sat at the table chewing food for almost a minute? A clever metaphor, I think, as the tension was so intense you could almost chew it. Brilliant! In Gilligan we trust.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          One episode in, I'm not sure I get the rave reviews it's getting. It's slow...much slower than breaking bad. Stylistically, very similar, so I'm intrigued, but if I hadn't seen or didn't like BB, I don't think I would be giving it another episode.
          Hopefully they spend the whole of episode 2 trying to kill a fly. But it's probably too early for that kind of non-stop excitement.

(Fly episode still one of my favs!)
          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

I enjoyed the Pilot...though I was still traumatized by what happened on Walking Dead.

Spoiler for No!:
            RIP Tyrese
            "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
              I enjoyed the Pilot...though I was still traumatized by what happened on Walking Dead.

Spoiler for No!:
              RIP Tyrese
              Ha. Did you forget he's black?!

Comment

First of all, spoiler tags don't work on Tapatalk. Didn't expect a Walking Dead spoiler in this thread. Thanks for nothing, DNF!

I watched the BCS premiere tonight. Went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Solid opening episode.

Seems like the biggest hurdle they will have to overcome is keeping it interesting without the drama of "I wonder how this series ends?". If they can pull that off, they are truly great writers.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Seems like the biggest hurdle they will have to overcome is keeping it interesting without the drama of "I wonder how this series ends?". If they can pull that off, they are truly great writers.
                  Pretty interesting premise for a TV series. It's one thing to write a movie prequel when you know you have two hours to fill. But for a TV series, what do you plan for, a single season? What if it's amazingly successful? Two seasons? Hopefully they've taken a cue from British television, do two seasons really well and then move on.

Comment

Tonight was better. It's getting there. But I do think it's going to need a strong supporting cast. I think it will get tiresome quickly if Saul remains the sole lead character.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

The scene in the desert was pure BB gold. Had me laughing and squirming at the same time. Michael Mckean as Jimmy's brother is great casting. They've got to show some humanity for Jimmy as he breaks bad, and the brotherly love will be an interesting way to portray his goodness.

Comment

Just finished it. I'm still in! The bread scene made me want to find my own toilet. Hate that sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          First of all, spoiler tags don't work on Tapatalk. Didn't expect a Walking Dead spoiler in this thread. Thanks for nothing, DNF!

I watched the BCS premiere tonight. Went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Solid opening episode.

Whoops!
                          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                            The scene in the desert was pure BB gold. Had me laughing and squirming at the same time. Michael Mckean as Jimmy's brother is great casting. They've got to show some humanity for Jimmy as he breaks bad, and the brotherly love will be an interesting way to portray his goodness.
                            I assumed they were brothers, but I didn't notice that it was explicitly mentioned. Was it?
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              I assumed they were brothers, but I didn't notice that it was explicitly mentioned. Was it?
                              Not in the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                                Not in the show.
                                Vince Gilligan has gone second level. He's beyond having to point out the obvious through dialog. The clues are there, the situation is presented, and the way that Jimmy told Chuck to take off the space blanket emphatically is a familial form of communication reserved for only the closest of people.

You guys need to ground yourself before coming into this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X