2015 Academy Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I saw American Sniper over the weekend and enjoyed it [...] I was bothered by the length of the closing funeral cortege as the credits rolled. A vat of Diet Coke was seeking egress and I was EXTREMELY uncomfortable, but I didn't dare walk out lest I be branded as insensitive as the rest of the audience was wiping away tears.
    I watched AS with two other CSers. They can attest to the fact that no one in the packed theater left during the end credit funeral footage... except one person. Me.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I saw American Sniper over the weekend and enjoyed it, thanks in part to diminished expectations that were set by CS'ers. Like fusnik, I was bothered by the length of the closing funeral cortege as the credits rolled. A vat of Diet Coke was seeking egress and I was EXTREMELY uncomfortable, but I didn't dare walk out lest I be branded as insensitive as the rest of the audience was wiping away tears.

Having seen all of the Best Picture nominees, I'd give the nod to Boyhood, but Birdman seems to have momentum. It has several really good performances, the dialogue is crisp and entertaining, the camera work is innovative, blah blah blah, but I can't bring myself to love it, in large part because I don't get the ending. Can anyone enlighten me? I often like ambiguity but this time it just bugs me.
      Spoiler for My questions, such as they are...:
      Why is Emma Stone looking up and smiling at the end? Are she and her dad both insane? Is the end just a fantasy, confirming that Keaton has finally found inner peace and has taken flight? Yeah, I'm obtuse. But I'd welcome a thoughtful explanation.
      At least I liked the movie better than did Howard Stern who really ripped on it.

On the other hand, this is the first year in memory that I liked every best picture nominee. They're not necessarily great films, but I thought all of them were very good. I'm really interested in the outcome of this race and the Best Actor category which is filled with great performances.
      Spoiler for Possible spoiler for your spoiler question:
      I saw it like you said, that he finally found inner peace. Remember the scene right before. He was in the bathroom looking at his new nose, and he turned around to see his alter ego on the toilet, reading a paper. To me, that meant to show Birman was finally subdued, emphasized by Keaton saying 'eff you' to him. He then walks to the window, opens it up and flies out. His daughter then sees him flying without the 'shackles' of his past.

I also really liked Boyhood. Not so much for the technical brilliance, but for the sheer ambition of taking 10+ years to make a single film. To me, that feat makes up for some of the clunky dialogue and acting.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

I liked Boyhood, but I dont get the adulation. Okay, Ethan Hawke did a great job of aging in the film, but that's because he actually aged. It's not that he had to act older or younger; he was older and younger. Same for the kid and Patty Arquette. If anything, it was great directing, but not so much anything else.

I really did like how the movie shows kid's misreading of adult signals. Like the kid only had the one hint before his mom marries her professor, but as he gets older, he picks up on the adult cues faster and earlier, and it makes him cynical.

Comment

Watched Whiplash last night. Really intense. Still haven't seen Foxcatcher or Imitation Game.

I liked Birdman. I'd put it at the top.

I thought Nightcrawler should have gotten a nomination and especially Jake Gylennhal a nomination for best actor.

J.K. Simmons is a no brainer for best supporting actor. Incredible job.

Michael Keaton should get best actor. I wouldn't have put Eddie Redmayne in the top 5. The female lead was the star of that show.

Bummed out that Inherent Vice is not even in the conversation. He's my favorite director, and I looked forward to that film for a while, but I can't even bring myself to see it yet with the reviews so weak.

Comment

Whoa. Eddie Redmayne. Is that the first upset winner?
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

doogie was off his game tonight. the dress joke after the suicide lady was pretty bad.
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

How about Poitras' "Citizenfour" getting the best documentary? Man, I was surprised.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  Whoa. Eddie Redmayne. Is that the first upset winner?
                  Redmayne was favored.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    Not a great movie. I'm guessing most of the academy voters didn't even bother to watch it. I saw two of the other nominees (Virunga and Finding Vivian Maier); both were significantly better than CITIZENFOUR.

Comment

So Grand Budapest gets blanked in the meaningful categories but cleans house in all the kitschy categories that nobody cares about. That Wes Anderson is so brilliant!

Also lol @ Foxcatcher and American Sniper.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

the right movie won best picture. biopics are lazy, boyhood was a gimmick, american sniper was probably fabricated, nobody likes wes anderson, and who even cares about the other ones
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                          Redmayne was favored.
                          Really? I thought Keaton was favored.
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            Really? I thought Keaton was favored.
                            After the Golden Globes a lot of people thought Keaton had it locked up, but then Redmayne won most of the guild awards he was eligible for and was the favorite in most of the expert polls I saw. 538 blog predicted Redmayne would win:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/a...to-the-oscars/

There weren't really any surprises, except maybe Whiplash for editing and Budapest for score.

Comment

That was the weakest Oscar show in memory. Doogie Howser was unusually bad (I think he's very good in other settings), and his stupid "what's in the box?" bit throughout the show surpassed "Oprah Uma" for banality. But I'm an upbeat, loving human being so I'll only mention a few (of the very few) bright spots.

Graham Moore's acceptance speech for the best screenplay (Imitation Game) was really great. He said that when he was 16 he attempted suicide because he was "different" and didn't fit in. But now, his standing there, holding an Oscar, should serve as a symbol to youth today who may harbor similar thoughts, that things can get better, a lot better.

I was frankly amazed at how good Lady Gaga did with the Sound of Music medley. She didn't vamp at all and she has a great singing voice; it was a fitting tribute, and Julie Andrews' appearance was a great coda to a fine presentation. I'm showing my age here, but it was still jarring to see Lady Gaga in a very traditional gown but with the inside of both biceps heavily tatted. Looked like a trumpet on one side and a steamboat on the other.

I thought it was nice Eric Holder accompanied Oprah to the show.

I thought Boyhood deserved to win over Birdman (strange that the latter won both best picture and director, while the best thing about that movie, Michael Keaton, lost), but I thought it was close, so no big deal. I was glad Grand Budapest Hotel won a few, and I look forward to seeing that again more than any of the others.

Comment

People actually watch the Oscars?
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X