2015 Academy Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
    People actually watch bet on the Oscars?
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      That was the weakest Oscar show in memory. Doogie Howser was unusually bad (I think he's very good in other settings), and his stupid "what's in the box?" bit throughout the show surpassed "Oprah Uma" for banality. But I'm an upbeat, loving human being so I'll only mention a few (of the very few) bright spots.

Graham Moore's acceptance speech for the best screenplay (Imitation Game) was really great. He said that when he was 16 he attempted suicide because he was "different" and didn't fit in. But now, his standing there, holding an Oscar, should serve as a symbol to youth today who may harbor similar thoughts, that things can get better, a lot better.

I was frankly amazed at how good Lady Gaga did with the Sound of Music medley. She didn't vamp at all and she has a great singing voice; it was a fitting tribute, and Julie Andrews' appearance was a great coda to a fine presentation. I'm showing my age here, but it was still jarring to see Lady Gaga in a very traditional gown but with the inside of both biceps heavily tatted. Looked like a trumpet on one side and a steamboat on the other.

I thought it was nice Eric Holder accompanied Oprah to the show.

I thought Boyhood deserved to win over Birdman (strange that the latter won both best picture and director, while the best thing about that movie, Michael Keaton, lost), but I thought it was close, so no big deal. I was glad Grand Budapest Hotel won a few, and I look forward to seeing that again more than any of the others.
      I loved the 'Uma/Oprah' shtick! But that was back when I was a Letterman fan.

I watched the last hour. Moore's speech was heartfelt and memorable. It was the bright spot of what I caught.

I wished Boyhood would have won something other than best supporting actress. I actually didn't think Arquette did that well. I loved the movie for its sheer ambition. But I'm not too sad that Birdman won best picture.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
        People actually watch the Oscars?
        Probably more people than watch a blackhawks game.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
          Probably more people than watch a blackhawks game.
          Since the Blackhawks decided not to show up on Sunday, not watching the game would have been a wise choice...
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
            Since the Blackhawks decided not to show up on Sunday, not watching the game would have been a wise choice...
            Very wise choice. I'm starting to get worried. The team needs to turn it on now.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              I loved the 'Uma/Oprah' shtick! But that was back when I was a Letterman fan.

I watched the last hour. Moore's speech was heartfelt and memorable. It was the bright spot of what I caught.

I wished Boyhood would have won something other than best supporting actress. I actually didn't think Arquette did that well. I loved the movie for its sheer ambition. But I'm not too sad that Birdman won best picture.
              The problem with Boyhood is that during the 10 years of filming, the kid never took the time to take an acting class. Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette stood out because they are actors. The kid did not stand out. He was dull and uninteresting.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                The problem with Boyhood is that during the 10 years of filming, the kid never took the time to take an acting class. Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette stood out because they are actors. The kid did not stand out. He was dull and uninteresting.
                Yeah, he seemed to get worse as time went on. Same with Linklater's kid.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                  Oh I agree. I'm just cutting it some slack because of the 13 year production. Without it, it would have been a forgettable movie.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    Also lol @ Foxcatcher and American Sniper.
                    Why do you make everything about dabrockster and Urban Meyer?
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      That was the weakest Oscar show in memory. Doogie Howser was unusually bad (I think he's very good in other settings), and his stupid "what's in the box?" bit throughout the show surpassed "Oprah Uma" for banality. But I'm an upbeat, loving human being so I'll only mention a few (of the very few) bright spots.

Graham Moore's acceptance speech for the best screenplay (Imitation Game) was really great. He said that when he was 16 he attempted suicide because he was "different" and didn't fit in. But now, his standing there, holding an Oscar, should serve as a symbol to youth today who may harbor similar thoughts, that things can get better, a lot better.

I was frankly amazed at how good Lady Gaga did with the Sound of Music medley. She didn't vamp at all and she has a great singing voice; it was a fitting tribute, and Julie Andrews' appearance was a great coda to a fine presentation. I'm showing my age here, but it was still jarring to see Lady Gaga in a very traditional gown but with the inside of both biceps heavily tatted. Looked like a trumpet on one side and a steamboat on the other.

I thought it was nice Eric Holder accompanied Oprah to the show.

I thought Boyhood deserved to win over Birdman (strange that the latter won both best picture and director, while the best thing about that movie, Michael Keaton, lost), but I thought it was close, so no big deal. I was glad Grand Budapest Hotel won a few, and I look forward to seeing that again more than any of the others.
                      Graham Moore's speech was probably the highlight of the night for me too. I wish he could have done more to highlight similar themes in the screenplay he wrote (The Imitation Game) though. From what I've read, the movie really seemed to water down some of Turing's eccentricities ... including his sexuality. It seemed to just be tacked onto the end. I liked the movie, but it seemed like it had been heavily workshopped to appeal to the broadest number of Academy voters as possible. It was pure Oscar bait. It will be interesting to see what Moore does when he doesn't have Harvey Weinstein controlling every aspect of his script.

I wasn't happy that Birdman won, mostly because I find Innaritu to be an egotistical prick and I hate that the Academy is reinforcing his attitude. I didn't hate Birdman (in fact, I kind of liked it), but I did find its themes to be annoyingly arrogant. It wasn't nearly as bad as Innaritu's other movies though (Babel and Biutiful were both awful).

I didn't love Boyhood either, although I appreciate the accomplishment and really enjoyed Ethan Hawke's performance. If it had been made on a normal schedule, it would have been forgotten a couple weeks after it premiered.

I didn't really think any of this year's nominees were all that worthy of winning Oscars. Budapest was probably my favorite of the nominees. I think history will remember this year as a pretty weak one. I think Inherent Vice was the best movie of 2024, but I understand why it didn't get nominated and never had a chance of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                        Graham Moore's speech was probably the highlight of the night for me too. I wish he could have done more to highlight similar themes in the screenplay he wrote (The Imitation Game) though. From what I've read, the movie really seemed to water down some of Turing's eccentricities ... including his sexuality. It seemed to just be tacked onto the end. I liked the movie, but it seemed like it had been heavily workshopped to appeal to the broadest number of Academy voters as possible. It was pure Oscar bait. It will be interesting to see what Moore does when he doesn't have Harvey Weinstein controlling every aspect of his script.

I wasn't happy that Birdman won, mostly because I find Innaritu to be an egotistical prick and I hate that the Academy is reinforcing his attitude. I didn't hate Birdman (in fact, I kind of liked it), but I did find its themes to be annoyingly arrogant. It wasn't nearly as bad as Innaritu's other movies though (Babel and Biutiful were both awful).

I didn't love Boyhood either, although I appreciate the accomplishment and really enjoyed Ethan Hawke's performance. If it had been made on a normal schedule, it would have been forgotten a couple weeks after it premiered.

I didn't really think any of this year's nominees were all that worthy of winning Oscars. Budapest was probably my favorite of the nominees. I think history will remember this year as a pretty weak one. I think Inherent Vice was the best movie of 2024, but I understand why it didn't get nominated and never had a chance of winning.
                        Probably just a decade too early.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Yes, Graham Moore's speech was much better than his screenplay... A Poor Imitation of Alan Turing.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Probably just a decade too early.
                            Oops

Comment

Oops
                              When I saw the "oops," I assumed that it was going to include a gif of Keaton putting his speech back into his jacket.
                              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Working...
                              X