Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Grammar Thread (Click here Donuthole)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    This thread is for asking grammar questions and correspondance questions that stump you. Smart people will answer.

Here is one: how do you refer to the action of carbon copying in business correspondence? For example, "I've taken the liberty of cc'ing John Public on this email, as he is tasked with overseeing resources in this area."

cc:ing?

I hate to use the term "carbon copying" because, well, it's not carbon anymore, is it?

Should I just say "I've taken the liberty of copying John Public on this email...?" But that's not exactly precise because it implies that I will send the copy to John after sending the original email. But I am copying him at the same time as the original email.
    Certainly don't say "carbon copying," and don't use the made-up gerund form of "cc." e.g. "cc'ing," "c.c.-ing," "c'c'ing" etc. It just doesn't read well and is distracting. I would say "I am copying ____ to this email (which usage is broadly understood and will not imply what you say it does)," or "I am going to cc ____ to this email."
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I would also be transparent and acknowledge that you are blind carbon copying several people but cannot reveal their identities, at least not at this time.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Carbon Copy is out. Courtesy Copy is in. CC is still the correct abbreviation. Google just made the official change last week.
        Last edited by clackamascoug; 01-14-2015, 02:38 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
          Carbon Copy is out. Courtesy Copy is in. CC is still the correct abbreviation. Google just made the official change last week.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...c%3A%20mean%3F
          Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 01-14-2015, 03:15 PM.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
            Certainly don't say "carbon copying," and don't use the made-up gerund form of "cc." e.g. "cc'ing," "c.c.-ing," "c'c'ing" etc. It just doesn't read well and is distracting. I would say "I am copying ____ to this email (which usage is broadly understood and will not imply what you say it does)," or "I am going to cc ____ to this email."
            IANAEM, but wouldn't you cc an email to someone, not cc someone to an email?
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              IANAEM, but wouldn't you cc an email to someone, not cc someone to an email?
              I have no idea, but in informal e-mail correspondence the person is "copied" to the message.

I'm great at editing work product unless it's mine. I work for a grammar aficianado. He had all 45 attorneys at my company take a pop comma quiz a few months back, which was tricky for the non-U.S. attorneys.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

lots of smart people weighing in here.

Comment

This thread is for asking grammar questions and correspondance questions that stump you. Smart people will answer.

Here is one: how do you refer to the action of carbon copying in business correspondence? For example, "I've taken the liberty of cc'ing John Public on this email, as he is tasked with overseeing resources in this area."

cc:ing?

I hate to use the term "carbon copying" because, well, it's not carbon anymore, is it?

Should I just say "I've taken the liberty of copying John Public on this email...?" But that's not exactly precise because it implies that I will send the copy to John after sending the original email. But I am copying him at the same time as the original email.
                  Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                  Is the bolded a prediction or a demand?

I would say "copying".

I would also not say "taken the liberty"
                  , but that is more a stylistic preference than a grammatical rule.

Qualifications: BA in English who still makes grammatical mistakes frequently
                  For email communication, I agree with Clark.

For actual hard copy letters, I still throw a

Cc: John Public

after the signature line of the letter. Then, I'll get out the sheets of carbon and recreate those pages to give to John Public.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    I would also be transparent and acknowledge that you are blind carbon copying several people but cannot reveal their identities, at least not at this time.
                    Yep, I share these thoughts as well. Why say you are copying someone when everyone can already see they are copied? Do you also tell everyone you've attached a file to the email?
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/courtesy_copy

https://www.garner-it.com/blog/how-w...rtesy-copy-bcc

http://www.bhsu.edu/iits/HelpDesk/Fu...-Copy-BCC.aspx

You're now smarter than you were five minutes ago.
                      Last edited by clackamascoug; 01-14-2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/courtesy_copy

You're now smarter than you were five minutes ago.
                        That is not "official google". My link was.

You are still as dumb as you were five minutes ago.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          That is not "official google". My link was.

You are still as dumb as you were five minutes ago.
                          Everyone agrees that you're smarter than me, so calling me stupid is just another CC for you.

How can you even argue with Black Hills State University?
                          Last edited by clackamascoug; 01-14-2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Everyone agrees that you're smarter than me, so calling me stupid is just another CC for you.
                            Sorry, but you teed it up so perfectly that I couldn't possibly resist.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Sorry, but you teed it up so perfectly that I couldn't possibly resist.
                              No problem. Like Charlie Brown you can pull the ball on me tomorrow too,

while we peacefully co-exist.

lots of smart people weighing in here.
                              Thanks Katy Lied, you made my day.
                              Last edited by clackamascoug; 01-14-2015, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                Yep, I share these thoughts as well. Why say you are copying someone when everyone can already see they are copied? Do you also tell everyone you've attached a file to the email?
                                that is what I wonder. Then again, Im not a subordinate, so Im not sending these types of servile emails where I have to introduce people to each other.
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X