No announcement yet.

Coaching Lacrosse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if Soni and Fish Bartlett are still heavily involved in Utah lax?
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
      Does anyone know if Soni and Fish Bartlett are still heavily involved in Utah lax?
      are those the tribal west people?
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        are those the tribal west people?
        Yep.
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Won our first game 6-4 against my city's rival city.

Tons of fun.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            Won our first game 6-4 against my city's rival city.

Tons of fun.
            Is it a Taft-Bakersfield sort of rivalry?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090713/
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Coaching philosophy question. We scrimmaged against the best team in our league tonight. They were dirty. We play them Saturday. whats the best way to handle that as a coach? Do I voice concerns to ref? Do I tell the boys to return the favor? (They are way bigger than us, so I'm not sure that is an effective option? If I talk to Ref, do I do itout of the kids' earshot?

Comment

teach them how to cross check and slash just above the gloves
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Coaching philosophy question. We scrimmaged against the best team in our league tonight. They were dirty. We play them Saturday. whats the best way to handle that as a coach? Do I voice concerns to ref? Do I tell the boys to return the favor? (They are way bigger than us, so I'm not sure that is an effective option? If I talk to Ref, do I do itout of the kids' earshot?
                  If they play dirty outside of the rules, yes, you talk to the ref, you tell him you scrimmaged earlier in the week and let him know what to look for. If they play dirty within the rules, good luck on helping your team become more like them.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

When you say dirty do you mean:
                    - inappropriate aggressive play?
                    - finessing the rules for a competitive advantage?

One is a safety issue, the other is an issue that should be addressed only when blatantly observed. No one is going to care about your scrimmage and I would not use that as a talking point in your protestation.

Also, SMR kind of hit at the idea that you want to emulate them to some degree. Why are they good? What techniques/tactics does your team need to employ to be more competitive with them? It's easy to just write them off as cheaters, but look beyond that and find ways to help your team to get better.
                    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

They are very skilled, no doubt. I don't mind physicalbplay (it's a rough sport), but they body check and cross check my players backs which is against the rules at all levels of lacrosse, but is even worse when it's done at a level where physical contact is to be minimized for player safety.

The issue is compounded by the fact that a lot of the refs are brand new to the game or are high school kids that will call a high school level game.

I don't want to be "that guy" but I also don't want my players to get hurt because of the other team's carelessness.

Comment

They are very skilled, no doubt. I don't mind physicalbplay (it's a rough sport), but they body check and cross check my players backs which is against the rules at all levels of lacrosse, but is even worse when it's done at a level where physical contact is to be minimized for player safety.

The issue is compounded by the fact that a lot of the refs are brand new to the game or are high school kids that will call a high school level game.

I don't want to be "that guy" but I also don't want my players to get hurt because of the other team's carelessness.
                        There is nothing wrong with talking to the refs before the game and planting in their minds what to watch for. When I was coaching basketball and football and I'd noticed teams getting away with illegal stuff, I'd always mention it to the ref prior to the game and even during timeouts if need be. It's not fair to your kids if the other team is consistently getting away with illegal shit and the refs aren't calling it. Hell, I'd say you have an obligation to your kids to communicate to the refs.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

Well, they kicked our asses (12-0). We were down 3-0 in the first three minutes of the game (they won the first three faceoffs, and my defenders just sat and watched as they ran to the goal and scored).

But, the refs called every push in the back (~10 or so), they're just a way better team than we are.

My best player is a bit of a perfectionist. If he's not in first/winning, he mails it in. Kid is 8, so I don't want to scar him, but any tips on how to keep him motivated, even if we losing/getting our asses kicked?

Comment

My best player is a bit of a perfectionist. If he's not in first/winning, he mails it in. Kid is 8, so I don't want to scar him, but any tips on how to keep him motivated, even if we losing/getting our asses kicked?
                            Do you play man to man defense in Lacrosse? If he's good and he really is a perfectionist, get him into individual matchups. Put him on the other team's best player and tell him to shut him down or at least outscore him. Make a game within the game for him.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              Do you play man to man defense in Lacrosse? If he's good and he really is a perfectionist, get him into individual matchups. Put him on the other team's best player and tell him to shut him down or at least outscore him. Make a game within the game for him.
                              Both zone and man are common in lacrosse. Back in my playing days we mostly played zone. Occasionally we'd dial up the lacrosse version of basketball's Box and One defense putting the best defender on the most potent offensive threat with everyone else playing zone. That defense can backfire if you have lazy middies who refuse to slide and help in front of the crease.

I like SMR's idea of putting your best player on their best player. The only flaw is if your best player is a weak defender. In that case put your best defender on the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                Yes. When you're dealing with 5-8 year olds, though, I've found that the best defense is to leave one guy back to protect the goal, and have everyone else swarm the offensive player with the ball--at least, that worked really well against us. Haha. Once the kids are able to pass and catch a little better, then it makes a little more sense to play man or a zone if you're up against a really active offense.

Great idea on the game within the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X