Most Annoying Ex-Mormons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Commando View Post
    And have you read the apocryphal books of Adam and Eve? That's some Tim Burton stuff right there.
    No, but I've seen the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
      In sum, if you have to murder someone, make sure it's an ex-mormon.
      I think it's more along the lines of, if you have to murder someone, murder someone I don't know. No acquaintance with the deceased = no obligation to attend the funeral.

Comment

I almost self-immolated today on the facebook Mormon Hub group. A guy was talking about how he's a flight attendant and how he came across a passenger sitting quietly with their light on reading a quad, complete with a pass-along card bookmark, and how he couldn't but think that the man was so pretentious. He later added that this was a 'trigger' for him. I've been unhappy with the generally negative piss-and-moan tone of the place of the last few months, and I volcanoed. Someone told me to contribute more substantially to the conversation rather than calling it "circlejerking," so I left the group rather than pressing home the issue.

I've got all kinds of problems with the church right now, but I had a really great time teaching the lesson about Mark 2 on Sunday in Gospel Doctrine. I felt like the point I made about members always acting like everything is perfect only quickly to declare, "I'm not perfect/OH, WRETCHED MAN THAT I AM" is comical given how quickly Mormons will judge someone for doing something like drinking alcohol or coffee, watching a rated-R movie, or even cussing, when those people likely don't consider what they're doing sinful nor even know that it is in Mormon eyes. I had overheard people in the lobby before church telling a story about how they "knew that my co-workers wouldn't even ask me if I'd seen 50 Shades of Grey because they know who, what, and how I am." I got a great discussion going about whether or not ward members are "that person" who has to make a spectacle of themselves whenever someone asks them if they want coffee or to go out for a drink after work. I asked the class, what's more important, the constant reminder of "I'm Mormon" leading to no invites, rather than a polite decline of the drink, but still going out to dinner with people and never mentioning it. Some folks would've thought I was speaking heresy, but the bishop was nodding approval the whole time.

Great stuff and real discussion rather than the canned, "We know what we're supposed to do" glossing over that we get from the regular discussions we have. I'm in a place where a lot pisses me off, but I still like going because I've feel like I'm moving past (not completely yet) the grousing about every little thing that happens stage into one wherein I only share my thoughts, on occasion, about things that really get me worked up.

I also got asked to teach EQ on Sunday, lesson 4, Joy in Troubled Times from the Benson manual. Rather than using the lesson, which wasn't all that interesting save the WWII stuff. I explained that Benson was a product of his times, that he only ever knew the Cold War mindset as an adult, and that he'd been dead for 2 decades and the world has gone on without him. I then read an article talking about NYC's no-murder streak (the longest in its history) and then read several passages from Steven Pinker's The Better Angels of Our Nature, explaining that we live in the least-violent time ever in the history of mankind. Many people didn't want to believe what I was saying, with one old-timer (it was combined EQ and HP) saying that I was going against modern revelation. That was when I dropped Packer's Oct 2011 talk to the youth saying that the world wasn't ending tomorrow and that they shouldn't despair.

If I could just get a calling teaching SS and EQ every Sunday, I think I'd remain active without many complaints until my dying day. I'm done with most LDS facebook groups. I think CUF's got a good mixture here and we don't get overly aggressive in our complaints (with exceptions, of course). This is the best LDS community on the web, in my opinion.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          I almost self-immolated today on the facebook Mormon Hub group. A guy was talking about how he's a flight attendant and how he came across a passenger sitting quietly with their light on reading a quad, complete with a pass-along card bookmark, and how he couldn't but think that the man was so pretentious. He later added that this was a 'trigger' for him. I've been unhappy with the generally negative piss-and-moan tone of the place of the last few months, and I volcanoed. Someone told me to contribute more substantially to the conversation rather than calling it "circlejerking," so I left the group rather than pressing home the issue.

I've got all kinds of problems with the church right now, but I had a really great time teaching the lesson about Mark 2 on Sunday in Gospel Doctrine. I felt like the point I made about members always acting like everything is perfect only quickly to declare, "I'm not perfect/OH, WRETCHED MAN THAT I AM" is comical given how quickly Mormons will judge someone for doing something like drinking alcohol or coffee, watching a rated-R movie, or even cussing, when those people likely don't consider what they're doing sinful nor even know that it is in Mormon eyes. I had overheard people in the lobby before church telling a story about how they "knew that my co-workers wouldn't even ask me if I'd seen 50 Shades of Grey because they know who, what, and how I am." I got a great discussion going about whether or not ward members are "that person" who has to make a spectacle of themselves whenever someone asks them if they want coffee or to go out for a drink after work. I asked the class, what's more important, the constant reminder of "I'm Mormon" leading to no invites, rather than a polite decline of the drink, but still going out to dinner with people and never mentioning it. Some folks would've thought I was speaking heresy, but the bishop was nodding approval the whole time.

Great stuff and real discussion rather than the canned, "We know what we're supposed to do" glossing over that we get from the regular discussions we have. I'm in a place where a lot pisses me off, but I still like going because I've feel like I'm moving past (not completely yet) the grousing about every little thing that happens stage into one wherein I only share my thoughts, on occasion, about things that really get me worked up.

I also got asked to teach EQ on Sunday, lesson 4, Joy in Troubled Times from the Benson manual. Rather than using the lesson, which wasn't all that interesting save the WWII stuff. I explained that Benson was a product of his times, that he only ever knew the Cold War mindset as an adult, and that he'd been dead for 2 decades and the world has gone on without him. I then read an article talking about NYC's no-murder streak (the longest in its history) and then read several passages from Steven Pinker's The Better Angels of Our Nature, explaining that we live in the least-violent time ever in the history of mankind. Many people didn't want to believe what I was saying, with one old-timer (it was combined EQ and HP) saying that I was going against modern revelation. That was when I dropped Packer's Oct 2011 talk to the youth saying that the world wasn't ending tomorrow and that they shouldn't despair.

If I could just get a calling teaching SS and EQ every Sunday, I think I'd remain active without many complaints until my dying day. I'm done with most LDS facebook groups. I think CUF's got a good mixture here and we don't get overly aggressive in our complaints (with exceptions, of course). This is the best LDS community on the web, in my opinion.
          Thank you. I work hard at keeping my end up.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Kugr?
            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
              Kugr?
              No, this guy seemed too young and preening.
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

LOL. Maybe the ole-timer was thinking the world was getting to the point were the Lord would order up killing all the wicked (except the virgins, the spoils of war) again like in Moses' day.

a_560x375-300x200.jpg
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Does anyone know this Earl Erskine guy? His website is the www.exmormonfiles.com and he has a bunch of videos/interviews on youtube. Despite leaving the church, he still introduces himself in the videos as "Bishop Erskine."

Glanced through a few videos, including one woman who's big "issue" with the temple was "why did the men and women need to be separated by an aisle during the endowment? We're supposed to be an eternal family, why do we need to be separated?"

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Does anyone know this Earl Erskine guy? His website is the www.exmormonfiles.com and he has a bunch of videos/interviews on youtube. Despite leaving the church, he still introduces himself in the videos as "Bishop Erskine."

Glanced through a few videos, including one woman who's big "issue" with the temple was "why did the men and women need to be separated by an aisle during the endowment? We're supposed to be an eternal family, why do we need to be separated?"

Was talking to a guy the other day that was all upset to find out that part of the temple clothing is a green apron. "All of my life I have been told that people wear all white in the temple!"

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Hmmmmm. I've never given those things too much thought, but now I may need to rethink this.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Was talking to a guy the other day that was all upset to find out that part of the temple clothing is a green apron. "All of my life I have been told that people wear all white in the temple!"

I have a problem with the movie being too long... at least they could give us some popcorn and a coke.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          I have a problem with the movie being too long... at least they could give us some popcorn and a coke.
                          I heard that's coming. But the popcorn is plain and the Coke is actually Crystal Pepsi.
                          Last edited by falafel; 02-06-2018, 07:55 AM.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Why would you wish to shorten your nap time?
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I heard that's coming. But the popcorn is plain and the come is actually Crystal Pepsi.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

We had a guy from our valley go apostate and he was on Bishop Erskine's podcast. Our fellow is now setting up a curriculum for folks to transition out of mormonism and into Evangelical Christianity. I did see where Bishop Erskine read the First Presidency message in the Ensign in December. I believe the message focussed upon Christmas and the birth of Christ. Bishop Erskine added up how many references to Christ were made and how the least frequently used word was "Jesus." This was somehow irrefutable proof of the lack of intimacy in the relationship most Mormons have with Christ. Isiah and Handel really have a shitty relationship with the Savior of all mankind, I tellya!
                                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                                X