Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creekster View Post
    I think he is just a little worried because he is down to 117 volts and so must have a slow leak somewhere in his line.
    sounds like a pressure test and a patch kit are all topper needs. topper the best way to get an accurate reading of your electrical psi is to put the black wire on one nipple and the white and copper wires on the other.
    Last edited by old_gregg; 12-15-2014, 10:10 AM.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Since the Topper has shown again and again that he is too lazy to use google, allow me to lend a hand:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...t-of-the-world
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
        I think he is just a little worried because he is down to 117 volts and so must have a slow leak somewhere in his line.

This.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
          Topper you seem very confused. I'll give you a little hint. Power is measured in watts. So when you say "If you have lower wattage, you will lose power more quickly" it doesn't make any sense. I'd suggest reading through the wiki entry for ohm's law.
          Power is in watts, but isn't current in volts? Are you saying power and current are not related?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
            Power is in watts, but isn't current in volts? Are you saying power and current are not related?
            Bloody hell.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...uestion501.htm
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              You are not familiar with the use of rhetorical questions to engage in debate? I know that of course. He was ignoring my point that the US's usage of 120 volt AC is inefficient in comparison to the European use of higher voltage. I wonder if we know the historical reason for the difference between Europe and the US. IF you don't like a discussion, ignore it. You are a grumpy old man with no sense of humor.

Comment

You are not familiar with the use of rhetorical questions to engage in debate? I know that of course. He was ignoring my point that the US's usage of 120 volt AC is inefficient in comparison to the European use of higher voltage. I wonder if we know the historical reason for the difference between Europe and the US. IF you don't like a discussion, ignore it. You are a grumpy old man with no sense of humor.
                Lol. From now on, will everyone please just assume that everything Topper posts is rhetorical? That will save us a lot of bandwidth.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Topper, just remember V(ultures) keep their (I)'s on (R)abbits or V = I * R.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This.
                    117 volts is fine. If it gets down below 110 volts then you might want to get worried.

Pick up one of those $10 testers and it will tell you if you have lost your neutral or ground connection.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Why do we use 120 V instead of 220 or 240? Wouldn't it be more efficient to use higher voltage?
                      Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      That doesn't even make sense.
                      Yeah, higher voltage would be more efficient and use smaller cabling. That is why the big transmission lines use higher voltage (i.e. 110 kV, 66 kV, 33 kV, etc.) and a lower current. The transformer outside your house steps this down to 120/240V so it doesn't kill your kids when they stick bobby pins in your outlets.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I see... A secret rhetorical question posing as a direct question. Yes, a rhetorical question might be just the device we need to tease an answer from this difficult question you have posed about voltage in the US. Or you could take five seconds (literally) and google it. Or you could take one second (literally) and click on the link to the answer that I already googled for you a few posts back in this thread:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1161363

So is Topper dumb or lazy?

(Don't answer! That's a rhetorical question.)
                        Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 12-15-2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

I don't know why anyone is still offering DIY help at this point. Toppper, call an electrician.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            I don't know why anyone is still offering DIY help at this point. Toppper, call an electrician.
                            I was hoping that Topper was at the point to start ripping out drywall to find that lost neutral and posting some pics of the stuff he finds in his walls.
                            Last edited by Uncle Ted; 12-15-2014, 11:14 AM.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              I feel for the electrician. Topper will inundate him with endless questions and question his every move. Then he will get pissed when the electrician doesn't engage in open debate over his rhetorical direct questions.
                              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                I was hoping that Topper was at the point start ripping out drywall to find that lost neutral and posting some pics of the stuff he finds in his walls.
                                I didn't have to tear out the dry wall, thank goodness. It wasn't hard to find.

Comment

Working...
                                X