A couple of interesting bowl games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of interesting bowl games

outside of the BCS (good luck, Utes, btw - you're going to need it, although I hope you win; I'd go if my wife wasn't due around then):

Poinsettia Bowl: TCU and Boise State (I think TCU destroys BSU)
    Armed Forces: Houston and Air Force (isn't this a rematch?)
    Cotton Bowl: Texas Tech and Ole Miss (how badly does Ole Miss get destroyed)
    Chick-fil-A: Georgia Tech and LSU (triple option w/ athletes against SEC (underperforming) speed)
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    (how badly does Ole Miss get destroyed)
    Don't underestimate Ole Miss's defense. After starting the year 3-3, and none of those losses were by more than 7 btw, they finished 5-1 including a four point loss at Alabama, and in their final two games they made their rivals LSU and Miss St look like Northern Iowa and Weber State.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
      Don't underestimate Ole Miss's defense. After starting the year 3-3, and none of those losses were by more than 7 btw, they finished 5-1 including a four point loss at Alabama, and in their final two games they made their rivals LSU and Miss St look like Northern Iowa and Weber State.
      Yes, but with a suspect secondary (if you believe the talking heads) and, more importantly, in Dallas? I take Tech big.

Also, Miss St looked like Weber State all year.

Comment

Armed Forces: Houston and Air Force (isn't this a rematch?)
        Help me out here. Why is this one interesting?
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Help me out here. Why is this one interesting?
          nikuman is a patriot and supports our brave men and women in uniform.

Comment

Poinsettia Bowl: TCU and Boise State (I think TCU destroys BSU)
            Why BSU gets no respect here or over on CB is a mystery to me. In the past five years they have had one really bad loss (at Georgia) and done well against any Pac-10 or MWC opponents they have played. This is not a bunch of slow white kids from Idaho. They have speed in their backfield, speed on their corners and speed at the WR position. Moore is one of the best young quarterbacks in the west. This is not a team without talent. In fact if you look at the numbers of kids playing in the NFL from BSU I bet it was rival anything from any of the MWC schools.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              Why BSU gets no respect here or over on CB is a mystery to me. In the past five years they have had one really bad loss (at Georgia) and done well against any Pac-10 or MWC opponents they have played. This is not a bunch of slow white kids from Idaho. They have speed in their backfield, speed on their corners and speed at the WR position. Moore is one of the best young quarterbacks in the west. This is not a team without talent. In fact if you look at the numbers of kids playing in the NFL from BSU I bet it was rival anything from any of the MWC schools.
              BSU has the most impressive non-bcs win this year IMO. Yes that is right they did beat Oregon at Oregon. Save it with the "Oregon was using their 3rd string qb" i know this already. Winning at Oregon is not easy at all and Oregon is good and a very athletic team this year.
              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

BSU has 9 players in the NFL.

BYU has 13 players in the NFL.

Colorado State has 10 players in the NFL.

TCU has 9 players in the NFL.

Utah has 16 players in the NFL.

San Diego State has 17 players in the NFL.

I think the disdain for BSU stems from the fact that they would likely be a middle of the pack MWC team year in and year out in the MWC. In their good years, they would be good enough to win the conference, no doubt. But it wouldn't be without several close games every year. Nevertheless, they presently dominate a terrible football conference, and thus seem to get as much, if not more national exposure than any of the MWC teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/college?letter=a
                Last edited by Donuthole; 12-07-2008, 11:24 PM.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

That's as may be, but TCU has a scary good defense, hence my pick. Who has BSU played this year that is even close?

I think BSU finishes third or fourth this year in the MWC, depending on where they played the games and whether or not BYU's defense is merely slow or super-slow.

Comment

I respect Boise State.

The 2006 ass-kicking is too fresh in my memory to talk about yet.

I remember BSU coming into Rice Stadium and kicking Utah's butt in '98. Down by 3, I remember McBride sending Crosswhite out to try to lead the team in a 2-minute drive. 3 bombs. 3 incompletions. Game over.

I also like Boise St. because they have a good wrestling team (or at least they used to when I lived in Utah).
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

I would not be pleased if I was Boise State...TCU's defense is a buzz saw. I really believe that they will win this game and hold BSU to under 20 points.

Comment

Working...
                      X