Question about the priesthood and 1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger. You asked how it was pointed out. Guess you missed it. I remembered Pres Nelson detailing the origins of those who spoke in the Sunday morning session, so I went back and listened to it and transcribed it for you.
    Sorry about that. I do recall that statement and thought, "Cool! Great to hear from people that come from outside of my own experience."

Thank you for transcribing this for me.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      So many microaggressions now that you came out. Sad!
      I know.

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
        Sorry about that. I do recall that statement and thought, "Cool! Great to hear from people that come from outside of my own experience."

Thank you for transcribing this for me.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
          I think you misread what he was saying. He wasn't complaining that we were seeing those people at conference.

He was saying that leadership having to point out how diverse we are doesn't look good in general.

That is how I read his comment.
          So it was the Prophet's statement of inclusiveness that caused such angst.

Mormons are so weird.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I know.
            Just noticed your avatar. LOL.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
              How was this pointed out? Why does it bother you to see non-white faces at conference?
              I know we have a black guy in Motab, the camera always seems to find him and just lingers there for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                I was just thinking about this today and had hoped that someday we'd get an apology from the Church for the policy.

"Revelation on the Priesthood" verbiage makes me thing that the apology is another generation away.

With that said, this is a good thing to celebrate. When I saw Moli's post, I pulled my car off the side of the road and wept.
                LOL. I wonder if we will be celebrating the 11th anniversary of apologizing for the mountain meadows massacre coming up in September as well... That seems like a significant milestone in church history too.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Is this one of those homosexual orgies I keep hearing about?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Actually just watched the announcement video. Here look at all these images of people of color. Now here is the picture of 3-old white men who are going to give you more details about this celebration later.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

Actually just watched the announcement video. Here look at all these images of people of color. Now here is the picture of 3-old white men who are going to give you more details about this celebration later.
                      Problem is, we can't (don't?) just kick out the members of the 12. Its a lifetime appointment, like a federal judge. The Supreme Court is moving pretty slowly too.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Problem is, we can't (don't?) just kick out the members of the 12. Its a lifetime appointment, like a federal judge. The Supreme Court is moving pretty slowly too.
                        membership has been diverse for a long time
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

No amount of assholery will diminish the significance of what happened 40 years ago. It was wonderful and should be celebrated, not mocked.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                            membership has been diverse for a long time
                            Still, takes a while to work up that leadership ladder. This isn't something that can be changed tomorrow.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              LOL. I wonder if we will be celebrating the 11th anniversary of apologizing for the mountain meadows massacre coming up in September as well... That seems like a significant milestone in church history too.
                              I must have missed the 125th anniversary of the Manifesto. That one must have been crazy awesome as we celebrated the revelation to no longer marry multiple women...
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Still, takes a while to work up that leadership ladder. This isn't something that can be changed tomorrow.
                                Since the 90s the following were added:

1994: Robert D. hales
                                1994: Jeffrey R. Holland
                                1995: Henry B. Eyring
                                2004: Dieter F. Uchtdorf
                                2004: David A. Bednar
                                2007: D. Todd Christofferson
                                2009: Neil L. Andersen
                                2015: Ronald A. Rasband
                                2015: Gary E. Stevenson
                                2015: Dale G. Renlund
                                2018: Gerrit W. Gong
                                2018: Ulisses Soares

Sure it is a lifetime appointment, but given 10 opportunities from 1994 through 2015, they managed to add zero people of color during that time period. The most diverse move in a 21 year time period was adding a German to the mix.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X