Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about the priesthood and 1978

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger. You asked how it was pointed out. Guess you missed it. I remembered Pres Nelson detailing the origins of those who spoke in the Sunday morning session, so I went back and listened to it and transcribed it for you.
    Sorry about that. I do recall that statement and thought, "Cool! Great to hear from people that come from outside of my own experience."

Thank you for transcribing this for me.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    So many microaggressions now that you came out. Sad!
    I know.

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Sorry about that. I do recall that statement and thought, "Cool! Great to hear from people that come from outside of my own experience."

Thank you for transcribing this for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    I think you misread what he was saying. He wasn't complaining that we were seeing those people at conference.

He was saying that leadership having to point out how diverse we are doesn't look good in general.

That is how I read his comment.
    So it was the Prophet's statement of inclusiveness that caused such angst.

Mormons are so weird.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

I know.
    Just noticed your avatar. LOL.

How was this pointed out? Why does it bother you to see non-white faces at conference?
    I know we have a black guy in Motab, the camera always seems to find him and just lingers there for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I was just thinking about this today and had hoped that someday we'd get an apology from the Church for the policy.

"Revelation on the Priesthood" verbiage makes me thing that the apology is another generation away.

With that said, this is a good thing to celebrate. When I saw Moli's post, I pulled my car off the side of the road and wept.
    LOL. I wonder if we will be celebrating the 11th anniversary of apologizing for the mountain meadows massacre coming up in September as well... That seems like a significant milestone in church history too.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Is this one of those homosexual orgies I keep hearing about?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Actually just watched the announcement video. Here look at all these images of people of color. Now here is the picture of 3-old white men who are going to give you more details about this celebration later.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

Actually just watched the announcement video. Here look at all these images of people of color. Now here is the picture of 3-old white men who are going to give you more details about this celebration later.
    Problem is, we can't (don't?) just kick out the members of the 12. Its a lifetime appointment, like a federal judge. The Supreme Court is moving pretty slowly too.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Problem is, we can't (don't?) just kick out the members of the 12. Its a lifetime appointment, like a federal judge. The Supreme Court is moving pretty slowly too.
    membership has been diverse for a long time
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

No amount of assholery will diminish the significance of what happened 40 years ago. It was wonderful and should be celebrated, not mocked.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    membership has been diverse for a long time
    Still, takes a while to work up that leadership ladder. This isn't something that can be changed tomorrow.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    LOL. I wonder if we will be celebrating the 11th anniversary of apologizing for the mountain meadows massacre coming up in September as well... That seems like a significant milestone in church history too.
    I must have missed the 125th anniversary of the Manifesto. That one must have been crazy awesome as we celebrated the revelation to no longer marry multiple women...
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Still, takes a while to work up that leadership ladder. This isn't something that can be changed tomorrow.
    Since the 90s the following were added:

1994: Robert D. hales
    1994: Jeffrey R. Holland
    1995: Henry B. Eyring
    2004: Dieter F. Uchtdorf
    2004: David A. Bednar
    2007: D. Todd Christofferson
    2009: Neil L. Andersen
    2015: Ronald A. Rasband
    2015: Gary E. Stevenson
    2015: Dale G. Renlund
    2018: Gerrit W. Gong
    2018: Ulisses Soares

Sure it is a lifetime appointment, but given 10 opportunities from 1994 through 2015, they managed to add zero people of color during that time period. The most diverse move in a 21 year time period was adding a German to the mix.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.

I must have missed the 125th anniversary of the Manifesto. That one must have been crazy awesome as we celebrated the revelation to no longer marry multiple women...
    FYI: Uncle Ted and mpfunk would be perfect guests for this podcast episode.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Since the 90s the following were added:

1994: Robert D. hales
    1994: Jeffrey R. Holland
    1995: Henry B. Eyring
    2004: Dieter F. Uchtdorf
    2004: David A. Bednar
    2007: D. Todd Christofferson
    2009: Neil L. Andersen
    2015: Ronald A. Rasband
    2015: Gary E. Stevenson
    2015: Dale G. Renlund
    2018: Gerrit W. Gong
    2018: Ulisses Soares

Sure it is a lifetime appointment, but given 10 opportunities from 1994 through 2015, they managed to add zero people of color during that time period. The most diverse move in a 21 year time period was adding a German to the mix.
    I thought you weren't criticizing the church for its actions that conform with other similar sized organizations during that time? What did the board rooms of major corporations look like in 1995? Lots of non-white faces? Women? And those are organizations that can remove and restructure their leadership much easier than the church can (or chooses to, depending on your viewpoint).

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

FYI: Uncle Ted and mpfunk would be perfect guests for this podcast episode.
    I will only do it if my dressing room is kept at exactly 75 degrees and has a bowl of peanut M's&M's with all the red ones removed. I don't like the red ones.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

No amount of assholery will diminish the significance of what happened 40 years ago. It was wonderful and should be celebrated, not mocked.
    It is only "significant" because the LDS church which is supposedly led by people who should have direct revelation from God allowed a racist policy to continue for 30 years after the start of the civil rights movement.

Maybe you could justify celebrating it if the church had been ahead of the times with regards to civil rights. Instead, they should be apologizing instead of celebrating.

Also, 40 years after the revelation, how many black general authorities are there? How many black apostles are there?
    --SeattleUte

Also, 40 years after the revelation, how many black general authorities are there? How many black apostles are there?
    How many black members are there?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

It is only "significant" because the LDS church which is supposedly led by people who should have direct revelation from God allowed a racist policy to continue for 30 years after the start of the civil rights movement.

Maybe you could justify celebrating it if the church had been ahead of the times with regards to civil rights. Instead, they should be apologizing instead of celebrating.

Another day, another axe to grind...
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

I thought you weren't criticizing the church for its actions that conform with other similar sized organizations during that time? What did the board rooms of major corporations look like in 1995? Lots of non-white faces? Women? And those are organizations that can remove and restructure their leadership much easier than the church can (or chooses to, depending on your viewpoint).
    Okay, let's drop the 90s and just look at what has happened since 2000. It is still indefensible, especially when you claim special authority. It is especially inexcusable that with 3 vacancies in 2015, you basically add another 3 white guys.
    --SeattleUte

Another day, another axe to grind...
    Another day, another instance of putting your head in the sand about the church and its history . . .
    --SeattleUte

Elder Helvecio Martins was the first black GA. He would be good for the podcast too. Is he still around?

Then there is Joseph Wafula Sitati... First black african GA.

See... there is more than one.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Just noticed your avatar. LOL.
    BRING BACK THE OLD TOM PETTY AVATAR!!

does that make me a homophobe?

How many black members are there?
    Just a tangent, but how would the church look if it had never had the PH ban? My guess is that we’d have a lot more black members and would likely have a black apostle. But that’s just speculation. I think it’s safe to say that the PH ban hindered growth of the church in the past and continues to hinder it now.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I think it’s safe to say that the PH ban hindered growth of the church in the past and continues to hinder it now.
    If thats true then it is even more important that the revelation be celebrated.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Just a tangent, but how would the church look if it had never had the PH ban? My guess is that we’d have a lot more black members and would likely have a black apostle. But that’s just speculation. I think it’s safe to say that the PH ban hindered growth of the church in the past and continues to hinder it now.
    How would the church look (and how would I look) if we sent all those early missionaries to Africa and South America instead of Northern Europe?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

This may be true, but also probably unavoidable with the demographics of the Church and political/social factors being what they were up through the 70s. Members should have been more righteous.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

How would the church look (and how would I look) if we sent all those early missionaries to Africa and South America instead of Northern Europe?
    It’s a theoretical question without a good answer, but I like to think our BYU sports teams would at least be a little better