Question about the priesthood and 1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Walter, you have too much time on your hands. Why don't you get into base jumping or something?
    super mean post
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• Looks like the knuckleheads who did the fake news release are getting some serious blowback on social media. Pretty shameless to manipulate black mormons on such an emotionally charged issue just to score a few cheap points.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Looks like the knuckleheads who did the fake news release are getting some serious blowback on social media. Pretty shameless to manipulate black mormons on such an emotionally charged issue just to score a few cheap points.
        Sure, but the blowback from the progmo crowd is getting over the top. Had that turned out to be the real statement from Nelson, most everyone would be overjoyed. They were hoping that it was true, and it's a safe bet they continue to hope that something like it will be released by the church in the future.

I'm not minimizing the hurt some black members may have because of the hoax. But some of the members who desperately wanted the hoax to be true seem too quick to take up the cause of those hurt black members. It's just a little....unseemly (not all of the responses I've seen, just a few of the more righteously indignated).
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          Sure, but the blowback from the progmo crowd is getting over the top. Had that turned out to be the real statement from Nelson, most everyone would be overjoyed. They were hoping that it was true, and it's a safe bet they continue to hope that something like it will be released by the church in the future.

I'm not minimizing the hurt some black members may have because of the hoax. But some of the members who desperately wanted the hoax to be true seem too quick to take up the cause of those hurt black members. It's just a little....unseemly (not all of the responses I've seen, just a few of the more righteously indignated).
          I am not following your logic. If one hoped it was true, then you can’t find fault with the hoax? Help me out here.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I am not following your logic. If one hoped it was true, then you can’t find fault with the hoax? Help me out here.
            No I'm not saying that. I'm not criticizing anyone finding the fault in it per se, and I'm not applying a 'purity test' for those who do. I was just reacting to some of the more 'SJW' responses to it. Like this:

He has a beef with the doctrine of the priesthood ban, and he used satire to address it. He wasn't trying to be woke or a good SJW. It's his own sense of morality that is offended. This doesn't seem like an 'offense by proxy' thing, if that makes sense. I think the BCC response is over the top. At least that's how I see it.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

I hang out at the wrong social media places because I don't see any of this.

The hoax was crass and hurtful, as it was intended to be.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

No I'm not saying that. I'm not criticizing anyone finding the fault in it per se, and I'm not applying a 'purity test' for those who do. I was just reacting to some of the more 'SJW' responses to it. Like this:

He has a beef with the doctrine of the priesthood ban, and he used satire to address it. He wasn't trying to be woke or a good SJW. It's his own sense of morality that is offended. This doesn't seem like an 'offense by proxy' thing, if that makes sense. I think the BCC response is over the top. At least that's how I see it.
                Don't know that BCC guy/gal, but he/she seems pretty spot on.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  Don't know that BCC guy/gal, but he/she seems pretty spot on.
                  If you have a beef with the priesthood ban or anything else in church history, and you share it on social media, is it because you are 'pretending to support for your personal wokeness display'? In effect, that person is saying he is manufacturing outrage purely for self-aggrandizement. The hoaxer surely wants some notoriety, but you don't leave the church over the priesthood ban just so you can gain followers in the lucrative anti-Mormon podcast/social media crowd. There is that initial decision to leave that is based on a sense of morality.
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

If you have a beef with the priesthood ban or anything else in church history, and you share it on social media, is it because you are 'pretending to support for your personal wokeness display'? In effect, that person is saying he is manufacturing outrage purely for self-aggrandizement. The hoaxer surely wants some notoriety, but you don't leave the church over the priesthood ban just so you can gain followers in the lucrative anti-Mormon podcast/social media crowd. There is that initial decision to leave that is based on a sense of morality.
                    I thought he/she was referring specifically to this hoax, not a general dissatisfaction or unhappiness with The Church. But like I said, I don't follow any of these folks, so I may be missing a lot of context.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                      I thought he/she was referring specifically to this hoax, not a general dissatisfaction or unhappiness with The Church. But like I said, I don't follow any of these folks, so I may be missing a lot of context.
                      I think you're right. I don't follow BCC; I just saw it because PFS linked to it. I'm reading it as an insinuation that he's trying to ingratiate himself with the woke crowd, and I don't see it that way.
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Looks like the knuckleheads who did the fake news release are getting some serious blowback on social media. Pretty shameless to manipulate black mormons on such an emotionally charged issue just to score a few cheap points.
                        I listened to a podcast which included the 'sistas in Zion' response to the hoax, which I assume was probably the most 'famous' blowback. It was emotionally wrenching. I think I understand better the pain she and others felt. For the record, it was other people I felt were too quick to 'argue by proxy' that I was complaining about previously, not her and other black members.

Anyways, apparently her video was taken down. But this podcast plays a lot of it:

http://infantsonthrones.com/ep-494-t...cist-part-duh/

It is very interesting. Not only does she go after Streeter for the hoax, but she has some pointed words for the leadership of the church.
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                        X