Question about the priesthood and 1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the priesthood and 1978

I was 10 years old then, so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I seem to remember hearing (mostly from my parents) that the revelation to grant the priesthood to African Americans didn't sit too well with some in the church who left the church over it. And maybe it was only their experience, but they seemed to know some people at church who weren't that thrilled with it. I also seem to remember stories in the news about the Aryan Nations settling into northern Idaho around that same time period and that they claimed that many of their members were ex-mormons who left over the change. My question is if anyone else has heard that a sizeable number of LDS left the church because of the 1978 revelation.

I heard some may have pulled over to the side of the road for a bit, but no reports of outright leaving the Church.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I was only four years old at the time, and have no real memory of it. Most people (the vast majority) who I have heard talk of it were excited about it. I have heard stories of people who were not happy about it, but I don't know anyone personally who didn't like the change.

Comment

I was not born yet, but I have heard that some members took out an ad in the SL Trib stating that they disbelieved the revelation. I'm not aware of any widespread apostasy, but I imagine some of the polygamist groups gained some new members (since most still prohibit men of African descent from holding their priesthood).
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Stick View Post
          I was only four years old at the time, and have no real memory of it. Most people (the vast majority) who I have heard talk of it were excited about it. I have heard stories of people who were not happy about it, but I don't know anyone personally who didn't like the change.
          To be fair, I am not sure there would be many people who would now be willing to state that they orginally disliked the idea.

Comment

At the time of the announcement, I was summer clerking in LA (before my final year of law school). I don't remember any member expressing anything other than surprise or good feelings about the change, and I was (and still am) unaware of anyone bailing.

Late in the morning on the day of the announcement, a mail clerk at the firm, who knew I was LDS, came up to me and said he'd heard that the Church had announced it was extending the priesthood to blacks. Recognizing that he was a pretty unlikely source for such a major piece of news, I immediately called the national news desk of the LA Times, of which coincidentally the Church owned about 5%, as I recall, and asked if they could confirm what I had just heard. The guy said he hadn't heard any such thing and added, "I really don't think that'll ever happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Stick View Post
              thats in opposition to my anecdotal experience. most older people I know today readily admit that they were all for the priesthood ban...
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I remember well when it was announced. Most everyone I knew felt a sense of relief. I didn't know anyone who was disappointed with the announcement.
                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

I was riding around with a high school friend who would shortly be leaving to Oakland for his mission. He was happy.

Comment

I also recall it well. I was, technically, an adult but just barely. I don't recall anyone from my very conservative ward leaving over the announcement, although it might have happened. When it was discussed the only thing I recall hearing was what a positive effect it would have on missionary work and that the church was going to grow like crazy in Africa. I do recall speculation about the lord waiting until 1978 to lift the ban so that we could handle the miraculous influx of members we would see from Africa (or something along those lines) but that was just from one couple who was a little odd on almost all topics.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I was a kid, but I remember my dad coming home from work all excited and emotional. He had a tear or two as he told us what had happened. But then he was a democrat.
                      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                        I was 10 years old then, so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I seem to remember hearing (mostly from my parents) that the revelation to grant the priesthood to African Americans didn't sit too well with some in the church who left the church over it. And maybe it was only their experience, but they seemed to know some people at church who weren't that thrilled with it. I also seem to remember stories in the news about the Aryan Nations settling into northern Idaho around that same time period and that they claimed that many of their members were ex-mormons who left over the change. My question is if anyone else has heard that a sizeable number of LDS left the church because of the 1978 revelation.
                        I hardly remember anything else about the change. But that is the one thing I have a vivid memory of: watching the TV with some disgruntled members who were moving to Idaho.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

I was 17. I don't recall anything but happiness and relief. But I do recall hearing stories about disgruntled members, especially in the south. I know a guy who was a bishop in the south at the time and he says that he lost a few members.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I was one month old but I remember knowing about it because I was fresh from heaven and wanting my parents to put money on it happening but couldn't communicate to them. It was very frustrating.

Comment

I was in the preexistence, about five months before my birth. If I recall, we were all pretty jazzed about it.

Edit: of course, YO beat me to the punch with the snarky post.
                              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Working...
                              X