Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Question about the priesthood and 1978

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yep.

Moral of the story: always check twitter first.
    Yeah I pulled over to the side of the road and cried for nothing. Super embarrassed about that.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Yeah I pulled over to the side of the road and cried for nothing. Super embarrassed about that.
    Me too. But I will always remember that moment.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Yep.

Moral of the story: always check twitter first.
    Too good to be true.

Here's a snippet of the .pdf of his 'complete' remarks:

With that in mind, I am announcing the formation of a Scriptural Review
    Committee on Race. This committee is composed of representatives from The Quorum of
    the Twelve, The Relief Society, The Seventy and key members of BYU and CES faculty
    in sociology and race relations and will be presided over by the President of the Genesis
    Group. The committee will take the next 6 months to review our current body of modern
    revealed canonized scripture and identify those faults of men around racism which have
    been left uncorrected. They will consult with experts in sociology, race relations, and
    theology from both inside and outside of the church and present their recommendations at
    the October General Conference this fall. Those recommendations may take the form of
    additional footnotes, updated headers, additional explanatory text or even full removal of
    offending passages.

An apology is never coming, to quote Dallin H. Oaks "the history of the church is not to seek apologies or to give them."
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    lol what a nancy!
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

too bad. I actually thought it was a great apology and thought how much good it would do.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

It's interesting how fast and convincingly the hoaxsters put out the phony website. Here's an accurate one: https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...nal-leadership

That is a very complete hoax. Who would put all that time into that? What's the payoff?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    That is a very complete hoax. Who would put all that time into that? What's the payoff?
    maybe the goal was to show the church what a good apology looks like and that it is possible without undermining your organization.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    maybe the goal was to show the church what a good apology looks like and that it is possible without undermining your organization.
    Well it won't happen in this day and age.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Well it won't happen in this day and age.
    yeah you are probably right but its too bad. IMHO it would do wonders both inside and outside the organization, but it matters little to me on a personal level other than it would be profoundly meaningful to many dear friends and family members.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    It's interesting how fast and convincingly the hoaxsters put out the phony website. Here's an accurate one: https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...nal-leadership
    A solid statement from Nelson. Really can't find much fault with what he says. But unfortunately I read the hoax first. What could have been...

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Based on the "previous article" and "next article" links in the footer of the fake article, this was the original that they used as a template... published on 26 March 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    The domreg and the copy/paste job to construct the single page website (plus a pdf transcript) wouldn't take that much time. Domreg is private through domains.google. Hosting account is at Digital Ocean. Both cheap and easy. The authors did go through the trouble to try and make a convincing reverse IP, which is config'd for "origin.lds.org" and "ldsmaps.com".

If you view the source of both articles, you can see that much of the layout/formatting was unchanged. Local copies of assets (images, style sheets, etc) were made, but tools for cloning a website exist in abundance.

The text of the fake article itself and the fake transcript could take some time to author, but could have been collaboratively authored.

The payoff is the thrill of the prank I guess.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

HLS
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Based on the "previous article" and "next article" links in the footer of the fake article, this was the original that they used as a template... published on 26 March 2018.

The domreg and the copy/paste job to construct the single page website (plus a pdf transcript) wouldn't take that much time. Domreg is private through domains.google. Hosting account is at Digital Ocean. Both cheap and easy. The authors did go through the trouble to try and make a convincing reverse IP, which is config'd for "origin.lds.org" and "ldsmaps.com".

If you view the source of both articles, you can see that much of the layout/formatting was unchanged. Local copies of assets (images, style sheets, etc) were made, but tools for cloning a website exist in abundance.

The text of the fake article itself and the fake transcript could take some time to author, but could have been collaboratively authored.

The payoff is the thrill of the prank I guess.

Walter, you have too much time on your hands. Why don't you get into base jumping or something?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Walter, you have too much time on your hands. Why don't you get into base jumping or something?
    super mean post
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Looks like the knuckleheads who did the fake news release are getting some serious blowback on social media. Pretty shameless to manipulate black mormons on such an emotionally charged issue just to score a few cheap points.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Looks like the knuckleheads who did the fake news release are getting some serious blowback on social media. Pretty shameless to manipulate black mormons on such an emotionally charged issue just to score a few cheap points.
    Sure, but the blowback from the progmo crowd is getting over the top. Had that turned out to be the real statement from Nelson, most everyone would be overjoyed. They were hoping that it was true, and it's a safe bet they continue to hope that something like it will be released by the church in the future.

I'm not minimizing the hurt some black members may have because of the hoax. But some of the members who desperately wanted the hoax to be true seem too quick to take up the cause of those hurt black members. It's just a little....unseemly (not all of the responses I've seen, just a few of the more righteously indignated).

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Sure, but the blowback from the progmo crowd is getting over the top. Had that turned out to be the real statement from Nelson, most everyone would be overjoyed. They were hoping that it was true, and it's a safe bet they continue to hope that something like it will be released by the church in the future.

I'm not minimizing the hurt some black members may have because of the hoax. But some of the members who desperately wanted the hoax to be true seem too quick to take up the cause of those hurt black members. It's just a little....unseemly (not all of the responses I've seen, just a few of the more righteously indignated).
    I am not following your logic. If one hoped it was true, then you can’t find fault with the hoax? Help me out here.

I am not following your logic. If one hoped it was true, then you can’t find fault with the hoax? Help me out here.
    No I'm not saying that. I'm not criticizing anyone finding the fault in it per se, and I'm not applying a 'purity test' for those who do. I was just reacting to some of the more 'SJW' responses to it. Like this:

I hang out at the wrong social media places because I don't see any of this.

The hoax was crass and hurtful, as it was intended to be.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

No I'm not saying that. I'm not criticizing anyone finding the fault in it per se, and I'm not applying a 'purity test' for those who do. I was just reacting to some of the more 'SJW' responses to it. Like this:

Don't know that BCC guy/gal, but he/she seems pretty spot on.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Don't know that BCC guy/gal, but he/she seems pretty spot on.
    If you have a beef with the priesthood ban or anything else in church history, and you share it on social media, is it because you are 'pretending to support for your personal wokeness display'? In effect, that person is saying he is manufacturing outrage purely for self-aggrandizement. The hoaxer surely wants some notoriety, but you don't leave the church over the priesthood ban just so you can gain followers in the lucrative anti-Mormon podcast/social media crowd. There is that initial decision to leave that is based on a sense of morality.

If you have a beef with the priesthood ban or anything else in church history, and you share it on social media, is it because you are 'pretending to support for your personal wokeness display'? In effect, that person is saying he is manufacturing outrage purely for self-aggrandizement. The hoaxer surely wants some notoriety, but you don't leave the church over the priesthood ban just so you can gain followers in the lucrative anti-Mormon podcast/social media crowd. There is that initial decision to leave that is based on a sense of morality.
    I thought he/she was referring specifically to this hoax, not a general dissatisfaction or unhappiness with The Church. But like I said, I don't follow any of these folks, so I may be missing a lot of context.

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    I thought he/she was referring specifically to this hoax, not a general dissatisfaction or unhappiness with The Church. But like I said, I don't follow any of these folks, so I may be missing a lot of context.
    I think you're right. I don't follow BCC; I just saw it because PFS linked to it. I'm reading it as an insinuation that he's trying to ingratiate himself with the woke crowd, and I don't see it that way.

I listened to a podcast which included the 'sistas in Zion' response to the hoax, which I assume was probably the most 'famous' blowback. It was emotionally wrenching. I think I understand better the pain she and others felt. For the record, it was other people I felt were too quick to 'argue by proxy' that I was complaining about previously, not her and other black members.

Anyways, apparently her video was taken down. But this podcast plays a lot of it:

http://infantsonthrones.com/ep-494-t...cist-part-duh/

It is very interesting. Not only does she go after Streeter for the hoax, but she has some pointed words for the leadership of the church.