Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about the priesthood and 1978

Default Question about the priesthood and 1978

I was 10 years old then, so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I seem to remember hearing (mostly from my parents) that the revelation to grant the priesthood to African Americans didn't sit too well with some in the church who left the church over it. And maybe it was only their experience, but they seemed to know some people at church who weren't that thrilled with it. I also seem to remember stories in the news about the Aryan Nations settling into northern Idaho around that same time period and that they claimed that many of their members were ex-mormons who left over the change. My question is if anyone else has heard that a sizeable number of LDS left the church because of the 1978 revelation.

I heard some may have pulled over to the side of the road for a bit, but no reports of outright leaving the Church.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

I was only four years old at the time, and have no real memory of it. Most people (the vast majority) who I have heard talk of it were excited about it. I have heard stories of people who were not happy about it, but I don't know anyone personally who didn't like the change.

I was not born yet, but I have heard that some members took out an ad in the SL Trib stating that they disbelieved the revelation. I'm not aware of any widespread apostasy, but I imagine some of the polygamist groups gained some new members (since most still prohibit men of African descent from holding their priesthood).
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    I was only four years old at the time, and have no real memory of it. Most people (the vast majority) who I have heard talk of it were excited about it. I have heard stories of people who were not happy about it, but I don't know anyone personally who didn't like the change.
    To be fair, I am not sure there would be many people who would now be willing to state that they orginally disliked the idea.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

At the time of the announcement, I was summer clerking in LA (before my final year of law school). I don't remember any member expressing anything other than surprise or good feelings about the change, and I was (and still am) unaware of anyone bailing.

Late in the morning on the day of the announcement, a mail clerk at the firm, who knew I was LDS, came up to me and said he'd heard that the Church had announced it was extending the priesthood to blacks. Recognizing that he was a pretty unlikely source for such a major piece of news, I immediately called the national news desk of the LA Times, of which coincidentally the Church owned about 5%, as I recall, and asked if they could confirm what I had just heard. The guy said he hadn't heard any such thing and added, "I really don't think that'll ever happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    thats in opposition to my anecdotal experience. most older people I know today readily admit that they were all for the priesthood ban...
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

I remember well when it was announced. Most everyone I knew felt a sense of relief. I didn't know anyone who was disappointed with the announcement.

I was riding around with a high school friend who would shortly be leaving to Oakland for his mission. He was happy.

I also recall it well. I was, technically, an adult but just barely. I don't recall anyone from my very conservative ward leaving over the announcement, although it might have happened. When it was discussed the only thing I recall hearing was what a positive effect it would have on missionary work and that the church was going to grow like crazy in Africa. I do recall speculation about the lord waiting until 1978 to lift the ban so that we could handle the miraculous influx of members we would see from Africa (or something along those lines) but that was just from one couple who was a little odd on almost all topics.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar

I was a kid, but I remember my dad coming home from work all excited and emotional. He had a tear or two as he told us what had happened. But then he was a democrat.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I was 10 years old then, so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I seem to remember hearing (mostly from my parents) that the revelation to grant the priesthood to African Americans didn't sit too well with some in the church who left the church over it. And maybe it was only their experience, but they seemed to know some people at church who weren't that thrilled with it. I also seem to remember stories in the news about the Aryan Nations settling into northern Idaho around that same time period and that they claimed that many of their members were ex-mormons who left over the change. My question is if anyone else has heard that a sizeable number of LDS left the church because of the 1978 revelation.
    I hardly remember anything else about the change. But that is the one thing I have a vivid memory of: watching the TV with some disgruntled members who were moving to Idaho.

I was 17. I don't recall anything but happiness and relief. But I do recall hearing stories about disgruntled members, especially in the south. I know a guy who was a bishop in the south at the time and he says that he lost a few members.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I was one month old but I remember knowing about it because I was fresh from heaven and wanting my parents to put money on it happening but couldn't communicate to them. It was very frustrating.

I was in the preexistence, about five months before my birth. If I recall, we were all pretty jazzed about it.

Edit: of course, YO beat me to the punch with the snarky post.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I was one month old but I remember knowing about it because I was fresh from heaven and wanting my parents to put money on it happening but couldn't communicate to them. It was very frustrating.
    I don't think you are telling the complete truth here.

I was surprised when my uncle (who once called my mom an "elect piece of merchandise," and encouraged me to be good to my wife because "she's the most precious thing you own") told me how happy he was when he heard. He was at a son's baseball game and the rumors started to swirl in the stands (little Mormon town). I guess his bigotry ends at gender.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    I was a kid, but I remember my dad coming home from work all excited and emotional. He had a tear or two as he told us what had happened. But then he was a democrat.
    I remember it being a Saturday afternoon when we first heard on the car radio. My parents were happy. We lived in Provo and I remember when we got home and a neighbor saw us getting out of the car and asked if we'd heard yet. She was just as excited.

I was a non-member when it happened and I was really upset because it was the last excuse i had to not join the Church

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I was a non-member when it happened and I was really upset because it was the last excuse i had to not join the Church
    They were still hiding sec 132 at that point.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    They were still hiding sec 132 at that point.
    Nah, he thought sounded pretty good; almost like Islam except you don't have to blow yourself up first.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Mitt Romney's dad cried. Good tears, I think.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Mitt Romney's dad cried. Good tears, I think.
    When Mitt and Ann found out, they folded up their ironing board where they were eating dinner and said a prayer of thanks.

Second-hand, but when I was serving in South Africa, an older member told fathers stood up in Sacrament meeting and walked out with their families immediately after the announcement was read.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I was 17. I don't recall anything but happiness and relief. But I do recall hearing stories about disgruntled members, especially in the south. I know a guy who was a bishop in the south at the time and he says that he lost a few members.
    I was only a toddler, but my dad (who served his mission in the Deep South and still had many connections there) told me that it was not greeted well by some in the south, matching up with what you heard. Some members apparently thought it (the ban) was a plus and joined with that as a major factor.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

I don't remember anything but awesomeness surrounding the change. I too heard stories of dissenting saints, but we are a people prone to producing fables.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I was one month old
    Same! I like to think that God changed his mind because he could tell that I was the kind of guy who was not going to tolerate any racism.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I remember it being a Saturday afternoon when we first heard on the car radio. My parents were happy. We lived in Provo and I remember when we got home and a neighbor saw us getting out of the car and asked if we'd heard yet. She was just as excited.
    Actually, it was a Friday, June 9. I was in a truck with a buddy delivering irrigation pipe when we heard the announcement on the radio, and we both either had our mission calls or received them the next week. We thought it was pretty cool and were in the MTC when the first AA missionaries came through. Everyone I knew was excited; I don't remember seeing anyone upset with the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Actually, it was a Friday, June 9. I was in a truck with a buddy delivering irrigation pipe when we heard the announcement on the radio, and we both either had our mission calls or received them the next week. We thought it was pretty cool and were in the MTC when the first AA missionaries came through. Everyone I knew was excited; I don't remember seeing anyone upset with the announcement.
    It was still the LTM when I entered in Aug of '78.

I got my mission call on a Thursday and the announcement came the following day. I remember talking about it that night with my non-member girlfriend on the way to the MKC Dog Track, and how happy I was that I wheeled PL Greer in a quinella and won $40. We stopped at Pizza Caboose on the way home, and had a Caboose Special. It's still in business 36 years later.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 11-21-2014 at 12:08 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    It was still the LTM when I entered in Aug of '78.
    Yeah, I went in Aug. '78, too. It changed from LTM to MTC while I was there. I just didn't want to complicate things with alternate names, universes, etc.