Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yep.

Moral of the story: always check twitter first.
    Yeah I pulled over to the side of the road and cried for nothing. Super embarrassed about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      Yeah I pulled over to the side of the road and cried for nothing. Super embarrassed about that.
      Me too. But I will always remember that moment.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Yep.

Moral of the story: always check twitter first.
        Too good to be true.

Here's a snippet of the .pdf of his 'complete' remarks:

With that in mind, I am announcing the formation of a Scriptural Review
        Committee on Race. This committee is composed of representatives from The Quorum of
        the Twelve, The Relief Society, The Seventy and key members of BYU and CES faculty
        in sociology and race relations and will be presided over by the President of the Genesis
        Group. The committee will take the next 6 months to review our current body of modern
        revealed canonized scripture and identify those faults of men around racism which have
        been left uncorrected. They will consult with experts in sociology, race relations, and
        theology from both inside and outside of the church and present their recommendations at
        the October General Conference this fall. Those recommendations may take the form of
        additional footnotes, updated headers, additional explanatory text or even full removal of
        offending passages.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• An apology is never coming, to quote Dallin H. Oaks "the history of the church is not to seek apologies or to give them."
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            lol what a nancy!
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• too bad. I actually thought it was a great apology and thought how much good it would do.
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• It's interesting how fast and convincingly the hoaxsters put out the phony website. Here's an accurate one: https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...nal-leadership

Comment

• That is a very complete hoax. Who would put all that time into that? What's the payoff?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    That is a very complete hoax. Who would put all that time into that? What's the payoff?
                    maybe the goal was to show the church what a good apology looks like and that it is possible without undermining your organization.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                      maybe the goal was to show the church what a good apology looks like and that it is possible without undermining your organization.
                      Well it won't happen in this day and age.
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                        Well it won't happen in this day and age.
                        yeah you are probably right but its too bad. IMHO it would do wonders both inside and outside the organization, but it matters little to me on a personal level other than it would be profoundly meaningful to many dear friends and family members.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          It's interesting how fast and convincingly the hoaxsters put out the phony website. Here's an accurate one: https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...nal-leadership
                          A solid statement from Nelson. Really can't find much fault with what he says. But unfortunately I read the hoax first. What could have been...
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            It's interesting how fast and convincingly the hoaxsters put out the phony website. Here's an accurate one: https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...nal-leadership
                            Based on the "previous article" and "next article" links in the footer of the fake article, this was the original that they used as a template... published on 26 March 2018.

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            That is a very complete hoax. Who would put all that time into that? What's the payoff?
                            The domreg and the copy/paste job to construct the single page website (plus a pdf transcript) wouldn't take that much time. Domreg is private through domains.google. Hosting account is at Digital Ocean. Both cheap and easy. The authors did go through the trouble to try and make a convincing reverse IP, which is config'd for "origin.lds.org" and "ldsmaps.com".

If you view the source of both articles, you can see that much of the layout/formatting was unchanged. Local copies of assets (images, style sheets, etc) were made, but tools for cloning a website exist in abundance.

The text of the fake article itself and the fake transcript could take some time to author, but could have been collaboratively authored.

The payoff is the thrill of the prank I guess.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• HLS
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                                Based on the "previous article" and "next article" links in the footer of the fake article, this was the original that they used as a template... published on 26 March 2018.

The domreg and the copy/paste job to construct the single page website (plus a pdf transcript) wouldn't take that much time. Domreg is private through domains.google. Hosting account is at Digital Ocean. Both cheap and easy. The authors did go through the trouble to try and make a convincing reverse IP, which is config'd for "origin.lds.org" and "ldsmaps.com".

If you view the source of both articles, you can see that much of the layout/formatting was unchanged. Local copies of assets (images, style sheets, etc) were made, but tools for cloning a website exist in abundance.

The text of the fake article itself and the fake transcript could take some time to author, but could have been collaboratively authored.

The payoff is the thrill of the prank I guess.

Walter, you have too much time on your hands. Why don't you get into base jumping or something?
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X