Question about the priesthood and 1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I was just thinking about this today and had hoped that someday we'd get an apology from the Church for the policy.

"Revelation on the Priesthood" verbiage makes me thing that the apology is another generation away.

With that said, this is a good thing to celebrate. When I saw Moli's post, I pulled my car off the side of the road and wept.
    You could read CS while driving, but couldn't drive while crying?
    Last edited by falafel; 04-10-2018, 08:55 AM.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Not really. Upon first glance I found it kind of odd, which is why I

Ive been on the record that the PH/temple ban is likely the most troubling issue for me given that I don’t believe it was inspired in the first place but mostly because it is directly contradictory to Peters dream in Acts 10.

But I do find it great that all the racist apostles finally died so SWK could finally do the will of God and end the ban. the political pressure on the LDS church became too great forcing the racist apostles to have a "revelation" giving blacks the Priesthood
      FIFY.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
        FIFY.
        You're not much of a student of history, are you funk?
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
          You could read CS while driving, but couldn't drive while crying?
          My exceptional motor skills have their limitations.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
            You're not much of a student of history, are you funk?
            I realize the apologist position is that it wasn't the result of political pressure. It was the result of political pressure. Sure a few of the more racist apostles were dead, but there was still plenty of racism still in that Quorum. BRM for one and well, SWK.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
              I realize the apologist position is that it wasn't the result of political pressure. It was the result of political pressure. Sure a few of the more racist apostles were dead, but there was still plenty of racism still in that Quorum. BRM for one and well, SWK.
              Nice namecalling. You can't argue with facts my friend. There was very little to no political pressure in the late 70s. So quit saying there was. The pressure was more internal, from missionary work in Latin America and whole groups of "Mormons" in Africa seeking contact from and ties to SLC.

Plus, from the time of DOM, leadership had been pondering the policy and when to change.

Crazy also is BRM's role. He was actually a proponent, telling SWK there was no doctrinal basis for the policy, hence it could be changed.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                seems pretty bizarre on first thought.
                Not really. One message that was repeated several times in GC was "Look at our diversity. We are so diverse. We have people from all around. The best people." I'm not objecting to GAs and Q12 from being from places other than Central Utah and Southern Idaho, but the pointing-it-out aspect didn't leave the best taste in my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                  Not really. One message that was repeated several times in GC was "Look at our diversity. We are so diverse. We have people from all around. The best people." I'm not objecting to GAs and Q12 from being from places other than Central Utah and Southern Idaho, but the pointing-it-out aspect didn't leave the best taste in my mouth.
                  How was this pointed out? Why does it bother you to see non-white faces at conference?

Comment

How was this pointed out? Why does it bother you to see non-white faces at conference?
                    I don't think that is what he is getting at. It seemed like we were trying to hard to show how diverse we are.

It's similar to when someone says "I'm not a racist, but..." Whatever the say after the "but" invalidates their qualifying statement.

We are diverse in membership, not in leadership. (But those are completely different talking points.)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                      I don't think that is what he is getting at. It seemed like we were trying to hard to show how diverse we are.

It's similar to when someone says "I'm not a racist, but..." Whatever the say after the "but" invalidates their qualifying statement.

We are diverse in membership, not in leadership. (But those are completely different talking points.)
                      Agree, we have a very diverse membership and leadership lags that diversity, which is not unexpected. I don't know exactly what he is saying about how the diversity that we do have in leadership is pointed out and why it bugs him that we see non-white faces at conference. Is it because we have non-white speakers?

We have a diverse membership. I suspect they appreciate seeing faces and hearing accents that reflect their own.

Good hell, if we had a slate of all white North American speakers then we'd be hearing about how racist The Church is. Someone please let us all know what the correct ratio is.

Comment

"Just think of it Brothers and Sisters. These wonderful disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, natives of North America, Central America, South America and Europe have instructed us and inspired us with one message: As disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, keep His commandments and we'll be alright." - President Nelson while conducting on Sunday Morning.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          "Just think of it Brothers and Sisters. These wonderful disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, natives of North America, Central America, South America and Europe have instructed us and inspired us with one message: As disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, keep His commandments and we'll be alright." - President Nelson while conducting on Sunday Morning.
                          Pointing out the worldwide nature of the membership and leadership of The Church is a problem? Asking those speakers to speak is a problem? Really? That's trying too hard?

Seems like a wonderful statement of truth about the inclusiveness of the Gospel and its message.

Comment

Pointing out the worldwide nature of the membership and leadership of The Church is a problem? Asking those speakers to speak is a problem? Really? That's trying too hard?

Seems like a wonderful statement of truth about the inclusiveness of the Gospel and its message.
                            Don't shoot the messenger. You asked how it was pointed out. Guess you missed it. I remembered Pres Nelson detailing the origins of those who spoke in the Sunday morning session, so I went back and listened to it and transcribed it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              Don't shoot the messenger. You asked how it was pointed out. Guess you missed it. I remembered Pres Nelson detailing the origins of those who spoke in the Sunday morning session, so I went back and listened to it and transcribed it for you.
                              So many microaggressions now that you came out. Sad!
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Agree, we have a very diverse membership and leadership lags that diversity, which is not unexpected. I don't know exactly what he is saying about how the diversity that we do have in leadership is pointed out and why it bugs him that we see non-white faces at conference. Is it because we have non-white speakers?

We have a diverse membership. I suspect they appreciate seeing faces and hearing accents that reflect their own.

Good hell, if we had a slate of all white North American speakers then we'd be hearing about how racist The Church is. Someone please let us all know what the correct ratio is.
                                I think you misread what he was saying. He wasn't complaining that we were seeing those people at conference.

He was saying that leadership having to point out how diverse we are doesn't look good in general.

That is how I read his comment.

Comment

Working...
                                X