Question about the priesthood and 1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
    I was one month old but I remember knowing about it because I was fresh from heaven and wanting my parents to put money on it happening but couldn't communicate to them. It was very frustrating.
    I don't think you are telling the complete truth here.

Comment

I was surprised when my uncle (who once called my mom an "elect piece of merchandise," and encouraged me to be good to my wife because "she's the most precious thing you own") told me how happy he was when he heard. He was at a son's baseball game and the rumors started to swirl in the stands (little Mormon town). I guess his bigotry ends at gender.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
        I was a kid, but I remember my dad coming home from work all excited and emotional. He had a tear or two as he told us what had happened. But then he was a democrat.
        I remember it being a Saturday afternoon when we first heard on the car radio. My parents were happy. We lived in Provo and I remember when we got home and a neighbor saw us getting out of the car and asked if we'd heard yet. She was just as excited.

Comment

I was a non-member when it happened and I was really upset because it was the last excuse i had to not join the Church
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            I was a non-member when it happened and I was really upset because it was the last excuse i had to not join the Church
            They were still hiding sec 132 at that point.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
              They were still hiding sec 132 at that point.
              Nah, he thought sounded pretty good; almost like Islam except you don't have to blow yourself up first.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Mitt Romney's dad cried. Good tears, I think.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  Mitt Romney's dad cried. Good tears, I think.
                  When Mitt and Ann found out, they folded up their ironing board where they were eating dinner and said a prayer of thanks.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Second-hand, but when I was serving in South Africa, an older member told fathers stood up in Sacrament meeting and walked out with their families immediately after the announcement was read.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      I was 17. I don't recall anything but happiness and relief. But I do recall hearing stories about disgruntled members, especially in the south. I know a guy who was a bishop in the south at the time and he says that he lost a few members.
                      I was only a toddler, but my dad (who served his mission in the Deep South and still had many connections there) told me that it was not greeted well by some in the south, matching up with what you heard. Some members apparently thought it (the ban) was a plus and joined with that as a major factor.
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I don't remember anything but awesomeness surrounding the change. I too heard stories of dissenting saints, but we are a people prone to producing fables.
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          I was one month old
                          Same! I like to think that God changed his mind because he could tell that I was the kind of guy who was not going to tolerate any racism.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                            I remember it being a Saturday afternoon when we first heard on the car radio. My parents were happy. We lived in Provo and I remember when we got home and a neighbor saw us getting out of the car and asked if we'd heard yet. She was just as excited.
                            Actually, it was a Friday, June 9. I was in a truck with a buddy delivering irrigation pipe when we heard the announcement on the radio, and we both either had our mission calls or received them the next week. We thought it was pretty cool and were in the MTC when the first AA missionaries came through. Everyone I knew was excited; I don't remember seeing anyone upset with the announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                              Actually, it was a Friday, June 9. I was in a truck with a buddy delivering irrigation pipe when we heard the announcement on the radio, and we both either had our mission calls or received them the next week. We thought it was pretty cool and were in the MTC when the first AA missionaries came through. Everyone I knew was excited; I don't remember seeing anyone upset with the announcement.
                              It was still the LTM when I entered in Aug of '78.

I got my mission call on a Thursday and the announcement came the following day. I remember talking about it that night with my non-member girlfriend on the way to the MKC Dog Track, and how happy I was that I wheeled PL Greer in a quinella and won $40. We stopped at Pizza Caboose on the way home, and had a Caboose Special. It's still in business 36 years later.
                              Last edited by clackamascoug; 11-20-2014, 11:08 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                                It was still the LTM when I entered in Aug of '78.
                                Yeah, I went in Aug. '78, too. It changed from LTM to MTC while I was there. I just didn't want to complicate things with alternate names, universes, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X