Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are buying a home that has an HOA....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are buying a home that has an HOA....

So, first time being in an HOA. Apparently HOA's are lame.

Anyhoo, we move in next week and want to get Dish. According to our HOA, we have to fill out an ACC review and pay 25 bucks to get their approval for us to put up a dish. It will probably take 30 days. Any of you had to deal with an HOA requiring this?

The FCC has ruled that HOA's cannot do this. We homeowners have every right to put up a dish on our house without having to pay a fee and get a review. I explained that to the HOA lady on the phone, but all she said was "we understand what you are saying, but an ACC review is still required". I don't want this to get messy, but I also want to have TV right when we move in. Thoughts? Ideas?

Here is the FCC law:

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post

Anyhoo, we move in next week and want to get Dish. According to our HOA, we have to fill out an ACC review and pay 25 bucks to get their approval for us to put up a dish. It will probably take 30 days. Any of you had to deal with an HOA requiring this?

The FCC has ruled that HOA's cannot do this. We homeowners have every right to put up a dish on our house without having to pay a fee and get a review. I explained that to the HOA lady on the phone, but all she said was "we understand what you are saying, but an ACC review is still required". I don't want this to get messy, but I also want to have TV right when we move in. Thoughts? Ideas?

Here is the FCC law:

My son had a bad experience with his HOA. A lot of these people let power go to their head like our current President.

I hope you get more useful suggestions than I did. I mainly got thoughts on how I should raised my son.

Comment

Here is the FCC law:

Wow, to put up a dish? I have lived in an HOA for the last 7 years, and I thought it was pretty strict, but, wow.

I seem to recall having used this provision against an apartment landlord once when I put a dish out on my balcony in a bucket of cement.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
        Wow, to put up a dish? I have lived in an HOA for the last 7 years, and I thought it was pretty strict, but, wow.

I seem to recall having used this provision against an apartment landlord once when I put a dish out on my balcony in a bucket of cement.
        Did it work against your landlord?

Wanna write a mean, legalese letter for me?

Comment

Did it work against your landlord?

Wanna write a mean, legalese letter for me?
          Sure: F-off. I am doing what I want!

That should get the job done.

Comment

Honestly, I'd just install it and call their bluff.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
              Honestly, I'd just install it and call their bluff.
              Yeah, I think I will probably go that route. I've just never dealt with HOA's before, but all the horror stories concern me.

Comment

it's $25, just pay it
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                  it's $25, just pay it
                  It's also a 30 day review.

Comment

We live in an HOA neighborhood. It's a pain at times, but on the other hand, it keeps the neighborhood looking nice. Homes in our neighborhood sell very fast, and at a bit of a premium. Generally, people think HOAs are terrible when they have to deal with them, but think they are awesome when they keep their neighbors compliant. Ideally, I would live on a 20 acre lot where I dind't really have to worry about my neighbors, and I could do without an HOA, but if you are going to live in a typical susburban neighborhood, I would say that while they are not a necessary evil, they are at least an evil with some decent benefits.

Also, I would just put up the dish.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                      We live in an HOA neighborhood. It's a pain at times, but on the other hand, it keeps the neighborhood looking nice. Homes in our neighborhood sell very fast, and at a bit of a premium. Generally, people think HOAs are terrible when they have to deal with them, but think they are awesome when they keep their neighbors compliant. Ideally, I would live on a 20 acre lot where I dind't really have to worry about my neighbors, and I could do without an HOA, but if you are going to live in a typical susburban neighborhood, I would say that while they are not a necessary evil, they are at least an evil with some decent benefits.

Also, I would just put up the dish.
                      I have battled with my HOA on several occasions (and we have been here less than 2 years). There is external damage outside the structure where the foundation meets the siding. They say they aren't responsible for it as they are only responsible for cosmetic issues on the outside structure. Since this damage is not seen, they aren't responsible for it. About 60% of the units are rentals and the HOA has not been great at keeping the landlords accountable for their tenants. They have been consistently slow in responding and following through on their commitments. Not impressed.

Comment

i wish utah had more HOAs. i would be fine if my 'hood had an HOA.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I think I will probably go that route. I've just never dealt with HOA's before, but all the horror stories concern me.
                          I'm assuming most other homes have dishes on their houses?
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Our HOA is semi-strict. We were supposed to use the review process before we built a small fence on the side of the home. We didn't, we built it, and they didn't care.

I would be seriously surprised if they gave you flack for not going to them first before installing a dish. Hell, would they even notice?
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

I think HOAs can be hit or miss. Ours hasn't been too bad. They sent us a nasty gram once for not trimming the lawn to their liking (I had missed a few cycles due to training). And there was a stupid transfer paper my wife had to yell at them to get when we sold our house. But they haven't been that bad otherwise, and the benefits to the neighborhood are worth it

Comment

Working...
                              X