The official cast iron cookware thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official cast iron cookware thread

Any cast iron cookware aficionados in here? This is the place to post your new/old/rare/interesting cast iron cookware pieces.

I have recently taken a real interest in cast iron cookware and am looking to expand my collection. I currently own a few dutch ovens and a cheap fry pan, but am looking to add more quality pieces to my collection. I'll have to blame my brother for this. He has become somewhat addicted to the hobby of collecting cast iron and spends his weekends perusing yard sales, thrift stores and swap meats looking for new items for his collection. He has amassed quite the collection of Griswold, Wagner Ware, Lodge and Sydney. It is amazing to see the quality difference between the new Lodge crap they put out and real quality old school cast iron from the early 1900's.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

I'm not a garage sale kind of guy, but I'd be all over an old Griswold if I found one cheap someplace like that.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
      Any cast iron cookware aficionados in here? This is the place to post your new/old/rare/interesting cast iron cookware pieces.

I have recently taken a real interest in cast iron cookware and am looking to expand my collection. I currently own a few dutch ovens and a cheap fry pan, but am looking to add more quality pieces to my collection. I'll have to blame my brother for this. He has become somewhat addicted to the hobby of collecting cast iron and spends his weekends perusing yard sales, thrift stores and swap meats looking for new items for his collection. He has amassed quite the collection of Griswold, Wagner Ware, Lodge and Sydney. It is amazing to see the quality difference between the new Lodge crap they put out and real quality old school cast iron from the early 1900's.
      I have a couple of Dutch ovens as well as a 17" and 21" skillet. I use the skillets for almost everything. I re-season them yearly.
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

We've got some stuff at my mom's that's over 100 years old. The smoothness of the bottom of the pan is astounding compared to how the new stuff is. The old stuff could truly be non-stick if it stayed seasoned. As far as seasoning goes, I think you can treat the pans pretty roughly and not have a problem. I don't baby them like some people swear you have to. The only real enemy is unseen moisture, which is why I coat mine in peanut oil after every use.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I have a Lodge skillet (new crap), but I like using it.
          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

I recently asked my brother about the roughness of the newer Lodge CI skillets. Apparently, older CI pans had a polished or machined surface and now the process is to only media blast the pans after they are cast. He also says it helps the factory seasoning adhere better. You can manually smooth a cast iron pan or just keep using and seasoning and after a number of years it should be fairly smooth.
            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Are we allowed to discuss enameled cast iron pans in this thread?
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                Yes.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Sure, but be warned that there is a thread started by Tim in 2008 about Le Creuset, so tread lightly.

Comment

I found a Griswold popover pan. It cleaned up nice!

Next to my brothers Wagner popover pan.

And some of the rest of his cast iron collection. I think he has about 30-40 more pieces than this now.

Comment

That's pretty awesome. I'm no cast iron aficionado, but i just got a le creuset stockpot on ebay for ten bucks. That collection looks like a big time jackpot for whomever's on the will.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                          And some of the rest of his cast iron collection. I think he has about 30-40 more pieces than this now.
                          Is that 'just' a collection, or does he use them regularly? That's a lot of iron.

Comment

I picked up a Lodge cast iron griddle last week. I haven't been happy with our electric griddle, so I thought I would try this one.

image.jpg
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                              Is that 'just' a collection, or does he use them regularly? That's a lot of iron.
                              All his cooking is done on cast iron. He makes a point of using every piece at least once, but he definitely has his favorites he uses all the time. Sunday he made a Bundt cake using his vintage Bundt cake pan.

Comment

Working...
                              X