Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2014 CS Turkey Trot (10K run/walk/crawl)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2014 CS Turkey Trot (10K run/walk/crawl)

I was thinking about running the Silicon Valley Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morn, but I couldn’t get anyone to join me (hard to believe, but it’s true). So I invite any and all CS’ers to do so. Run in an organized event wherever you’re at, or simply run or walk 6.21 miles on your own. Treadmill running is okay, too, as long as you set the incline to not less than 1%. To allow for travel schedules and possibly inclement weather, you can do this on Thanksgiving or one day before or after. Those who participate can, of course, also use their mileage in the Holiday Challenge.

For the hundreds who no doubt will want to do this, post your time here and, if you dare, your age. I’ll edit this OP to show the results both in absolute and age-adjusted terms, per the Runner’s World Calculator. What’s in it for you, other than greater justification for pigging out later in the day? The missus and I will kick in $6.21 to the Days for Girls organization for everyone who posts a time in this thread (only CSers as of the time of this post are eligible). Unless The Dude has a problem with it, we’ll donate in the name of Cougarstadium.com, but we may reconsider as we don’t wish to attract more attention from our Eastern European overlords.

Back on point, speed doesn’t matter, as long as you finish a 10-K, running, walking, swimming or other unaided means of self-propulsion (i.e., no cycling, sheesh). No matter how slow you might be, you'll still destroy those too lazy to get out and move. That said, anyone who bests my age-adjusted time will have their contribution doubled. I hope to beat an adjusted time of 48 minutes, which isn’t terribly fast so many of you should crush me.

Don’t do this unless you’re either fit or have a doctor’s okay. I have enough blood on my hands.

Hope you can run/walk with me next week.

Enter your time here.
    Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 11-22-2014, 10:02 PM.

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I was thinking about running the Silicon Valley Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morn, but I couldn’t get anyone to join me (hard to believe, but it’s true). So I invite any and all CS’ers to do so. Run in an organized event wherever you’re at, or simply run or walk 6.21 miles on your own. Treadmill running is okay, too, as long as you set the incline to not less than 1%. To allow for travel schedules and possibly inclement weather, you can do this on Thanksgiving or one day before or after. Those who participate can, of course, also use their mileage in the Holiday Challenge.

For the hundreds who no doubt will want to do this, post your time here and, if you dare, your age. I’ll edit this OP to show the results both in absolute and age-adjusted terms, per the Runner’s World Calculator. What’s in it for you, other than greater justification for pigging out later in the day? The missus and I will kick in $6.21 to the Days for Girls organization for everyone who posts a time in this thread (only CSers as of the time of this post are eligible). Unless The Dude has a problem with it, we’ll donate in the name of Cougarstadium.com, but we may reconsider as we don’t wish to attract more attention from our Eastern European overlords.

Back on point, speed doesn’t matter, as long as you finish a 10-K, running, walking, swimming or other unaided means of self-propulsion (i.e., no cycling, sheesh). No matter how slow you might be, you'll still destroy those too lazy to get out and move. That said, anyone who bests my age-adjusted time will have their contribution doubled. I hope to beat an adjusted time of 48 minutes, which isn’t terribly fast so many of you should crush me.

Don’t do this unless you’re either fit or have a doctor’s okay. I have enough blood on my hands.

Hope you can run/walk with me next week.
    Well done. I am impressed. When does this 10K have to be run? Do we receive credit if we engage a ringer to run for us?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
      Well done. I am impressed. When does this 10K have to be run? Do we receive credit if we engage a ringer to run for us?
      On thanksgiving, or one day before or after.

Only CSers at the time of the OP are eligible.
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
        On thanksgiving, or one day before or after.

Only CSers at the time of the OP are eligible.
        I'm pleased that one person read my post.

Also, although I said contestants had to be CS'ers, if they want to participate, I'd like to see runs from the female counterparts of BigPiney, Cardiac and Topper, all of whom I've met and know to be outstanding distance runners. Any other spouses would be similarly invited to join in.

Comment

I'm pleased that one person read my post.

Also, although I said contestants had to be CS'ers, if they want to participate, I'd like to see runs from the female counterparts of BigPiney, Cardiac and Topper, all of whom I've met and know to be outstanding distance runners. Any other spouses would be similarly invited to join in.
          I would invite my wife but she will kick my butt.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

I'm in!

Comment

I'm in.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Great idea pac. I wasn't planning to do a 10k next week but you've convinced me otherwise.

I'm in.

Comment

Is anyone planning on running one faster than an hour? If not, I am in.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                    Great idea pac. I wasn't planning to do a 10k next week but you've convinced me otherwise.

I'm in.
                    Same here. Wasn't going to, now I will.

Comment

My wife and I will try and find a way to do this. We will be in Death Valley and try and take advantage of the altitude.

Comment

But for hostile's kind response, I was thinking I'd thrown up a colossal air ball on this. I was thinking, "If a tree runs in the forest, and nobody's there to watch it...." But my heart is gladdened by today's responses, and hopefully others will join in as well. The Pineys and a few others will throw up some great times, but for the rest of us, the fact that we can do it at all, even if it takes a couple of hours, is pretty cool. Not to mention that your effort will help keep some deserving girls in school.

Comment

I'm doing the South Davis Turkey Trot (running race, not digestive issues) anyways, I'll join by posting my results.

Comment

I'm in

Comment

But for hostile's kind response, I was thinking I'd thrown up a colossal air ball on this. I was thinking, "If a tree runs in the forest, and nobody's there to watch it...." But my heart is gladdened by today's responses, and hopefully others will join in as well. The Pineys and a few others will throw up some great times, but for the rest of us, the fact that we can do it at all, even if it takes a couple of hours, is pretty cool. Not to mention that your effort will help keep some deserving girls in school.
                              I am doing my own but it will be a wobble as my knee is troubling me. But if I can't wobble six point two miles, then heaven help me and bury me in the ground. No time records but at least I can support the team. We might not be near a true official 10K but we will make certain we run enough to qualify.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X